Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is the best defensive player in the NBA?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The magic aren't a defensive team.

They're a perimeter shooting team built around howard. Nobody else can do what Howard does the way he does it. If you switched Howard with any one of those players, those teams would probably play better

but if you switched any of those players for howard, the magic would fall apart.

Comment

For me, defense is way more than blocks, rebounds and steals, most of it you can't find in stats...

Apart from Iguodala and Howard, who are probably my top two right now (I'd have AI over Howard), some names that I have not seen mentioned so far: Rajon Rondo, Andrew Bynum, Thabo Sefolosha, Tony Allen, Luol Deng, Ronnie Brewer, Gerald Wallace, DeShawn Stevenson

Very underrated in the past, but getting old: Tayshaun Prince, Shane Battier
      Shawn Marion was a very good call, too.
      Last edited by rochemback; 03-27-2012, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Howard is number 1 imo.

LeBron is a close second. His ability to defend multiple positions may have him as number 1 on some people's list.

I still don't think there is any player that affects his team's defense more than Howard though.

Other great defenders include Chandler, Perkins, Ibaka, Battier, T. Allen, Deng, Iguodala, Marion, Stevenson, Wade and Kidd is still a very good defender when you consider his age.

There's more players out there but i can't be bothered listing anymore.

Comment

Surprised no one mentioned Bynum.

Comment

Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post
            Surprised no one mentioned Bynum.
            Because he's clearly not?

Comment

Originally posted by BigStereotype View Post
              Because he's clearly not?

Oh because he has 2 less rebounds on average than Dwight and basically the same amount of blocks?

Not to mention competing for rebounds with another 7 fter who is also like top 10 in rebounds per game.

Comment

Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post
                Oh because he has 2 less rebounds on average than Dwight and basically the same amount of blocks?

Not to mention competing for rebounds with another 7 fter who is also like top 10 in rebounds per game.
                Blocks don't make you a great defender. Javale McGee and Amar'e Stoudemire both pick up blocks by the bucketload, but they're both poor to below average defenders. I watch a lot of the Lakers and Bynum is nowhere near the defensive force that a Howard or Chandler is.

Comment

What about Josh Smith then?

Comment

Originally posted by BigStereotype View Post
                    Blocks don't make you a great defender. Javale McGee and Amar'e Stoudemire both pick up blocks by the bucketload, but they're both poor to below average defenders. I watch a lot of the Lakers and Bynum is nowhere near the defensive force that a Howard or Chandler is.

dude Amare has like 30 blocks this year...McGee is a better example

but as far as defensive impact, Bynum might not be the best but he needs to be mentioned if we're gonna mention centers...aside his blocks and defensive rebounding, his presence on the court alters A LOT of offense

Comment

Originally posted by -MAKAVELLI- View Post
                      dude Amare has like 30 blocks this year...McGee is a better example

but as far as defensive impact, Bynum might not be the best but he needs to be mentioned if we're gonna mention centers...aside his blocks and defensive rebounding, his presence on the court alters A LOT of offense
                      Yeah, but STAT's been off this year. His back has been wrong all year. Last year, I'm pretty sure he was top 5 in blocks. I could be wrong though.

And I just remember watching that (dreadful) Magic-Lakers game where everyone was hyping up the Bynum vs. Howard matchup and going "wow. Bynum is not even close to the force that Howard is."

Comment

Working...
                      X