Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Move to Germany Winky! Germany has the money.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Move to Germany Winky! Germany has the money.

I found this interesting pieve on Michael Marley's site. I must mention that Marley is american agent for german promoters:

"Was that Winky Wright live in Las Vegas or some ancient “B” roll footage from years ago? Like me, you probably did a double take when they briefly showed Ronald at ringside for Marquez-Casamayor.

Seeing the Winkster was a reminder that he has not fought since I think the Clinton Administration. Last time Wright boxed, Sarah Palin was a Girl Scout.

Wright turns 37 in a couple of months but he's got nothing scheduled and nothing percolating or so it seems. But I say how can you be mad at a guy whose middle name actually is Lamont? I thought Lamont Sanford was the only Lamont around and he was a TV character.

But seeing the Wright man coupled with Monday’s WBA middleweight title purse bid result from sunny Panama gave me an idea.

When his early career was stagnant in the US, Wright shuffled off to Paris and built his resume and won a world title belt while fighting out of the Acaries Brothers stable.

He was an American fighter abroad and the stint in France served him well. He also performed in a very Continental way in Luxembourg, in Monte Carlo and in Germany. Have gloves, will travel, that was Winkster's motto.

He was an expatriate but don't tell him I said that. He probably thinks an expatriate is someone who got traded by Bill Belichick.

Which brings me to my idea. Boxing in France is in the dumpster right now but neighboring Germany is like Ft. Knox when it comes to TV boxing fees.

Rivals Sauerland and Universum continue to pile up the riches through ZDF (Peter Kohl) and ARD (Sauerland).

That was underlined Monday by Sauerland bidding $1.9 million for an all German WBA middleweight title showdown between Felix “I Gave Oscar Fits” Sturm and Sebastian Sylvester. Sturm fights for the Kohl team while Double S is with Sauerland Event

Universum won the rights to stage the hot title match with a whopping $2.8 million bid.

Who’s to say some young American fighter wouldn’t be wise, if he can’t hook up with the Goldens or the Arums, to pack his bag and make his boxing bones in Germany.

Why should we let the Armenians and all the fighters from Ukraine and other former parts of the USSR grab all the German TV boxing gold?"
Working...
X