Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do the hamstrings supply more force to the punch than the quads or vice versa?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do the hamstrings supply more force to the punch than the quads or vice versa?

So when you use leg drive to increase the power of the punch.

I find for all other punches including the cross, its both the quads and the hams but more the quads than hams.

But another person who is often credible in what he says says he thinks the hams supply more power than the quads during the leg drive of a punch.

Who is right who is wrong?

Here is an image showing good strong leg drive.

Just in case you didnt know the hamstrings are on the back of the leg between the knee and the bum, and the quads are on the front of the thigh between the knee and the hip.
    Last edited by AlexKid; 04-23-2015, 11:26 AM.

More power will come from the hamstrings, but not everybody can punch through your hips/hamstrings and will be better off through the quads. The more you are able to put weight in your glutes the quicker youll be able to throw a hard shot and it will have more weight.

Comment

Originally posted by emre belozoglu View Post
      More power will come from the hamstrings, but not everybody can punch through your hips/hamstrings and will be better off through the quads. The more you are able to put weight in your glutes the quicker youll be able to throw a hard shot and it will have more weight.
      I can do that too, but then it wouldnt be the hams that are used it would be the glutes, I get it you are more likely to use the glutes when you use your hams, but you dont need to use your hams much at all do you?

Also look at the size of marcianos quads compared to his hams. They were much larger proportionately. Was he using his quads there?
      Last edited by AlexKid; 04-23-2015, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Doesn't really matter either way throw what your comfortable with and if you want to de develope more power try building through the hips and core , it will change your technique naturally anyways. Theorically it is better using your hamstrings but it changes from person to person

Comment

it all comes down to the big toe. it was said that Liston could press 650lbs with his big toe alone. you gotta know it's the big toe............

Comment

Neither, it's all in the shoulder. Having strong legs just help you move around easier and maintain good balance.

Comment

The true measure of punching power is determined by the size of your balls. When a punch is thrown it creates a slingshot effect, one ball gets pulled away from the opposite ball only to swing back at a much higher velocity, the force created from the two balls colliding with each other gets converted into punching power, in physics this is known as "Newton's cradle".

Comment

If you're deliberating over which is more or less than--then you're throwing a punch wrong. A punch is like a clock--every part is utilized in time to generate the most force. Focus on one part over another part is doing your technique a disservice. Granted some people have stronger parts of their body; but in essence it's about the whole thing.

It's a series of accelerated muscle movements creating one motion. It's more mental than muscle. The brain puts it all together. Seriously--the white matter of your brain is more important than quads and hamstrings.

See: Bruce Lee's one inch punch

(I've been boxing and training since I could walk. I can't do much in life but I know how to throw a proper punch)

Comment

Originally posted by mneronava2k View Post
                  If you're deliberating over which is more or less than--then you're throwing a punch wrong. A punch is like a clock--every part is utilized in time to generate the most force. Focus on one part over another part is doing your technique a disservice. Granted some people have stronger parts of their body; but in essence it's about the whole thing.

It's a series of accelerated muscle movements creating one motion. It's more mental than muscle. The brain puts it all together. Seriously--the white matter of your brain is more important than quads and hamstrings.

See: Bruce Lee's one inch punch

(I've been boxing and training since I could walk. I can't do much in life but I know how to throw a proper punch)
                  If you are such an expert, which is used more the quads or the hams?

Granted both are used and more but if you really know your stuff you'll be able to answer.

Comment

Originally posted by ir0nfist View Post
                    the true measure of punching power is determined by the size of your balls. When a punch is thrown it creates a slingshot effect, one ball gets pulled away from the opposite ball only to swing back at a much higher velocity, the force created from the two balls colliding with each other gets converted into punching power, in physics this is known as "newton's cradle".
                    lol

Comment

Working...
                    X