No announcement yet.

duran vs leonard 3- a sad sight to see

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NChristo View Post
    Couldn't touch him ?, have you actually seen the fight or just going of what you hear people say ?, the 2nd fight was close when Duran walked out, whatever the reason was for him walking it out was not because he was losing by some ridiculous margin like most people try too make out.

He didn't come pretty close to beating Duran at his own game either, the 1st fight is a clear Duran win and Leonard fought the exact same in the 1st fight as he did in 99% of his fights previous Duran, the myth that he was this guy that always boxed people on the outside is ludicrous and unfounded.

Always find myself scratching my head when I see people post **** like this.
    the fisrt fight duran was 7 rounds to two up and leonard had to come from behind to catch up with him which he nearly did with winning the last 3 rounds the 2nd however duran was already 5-2 down and was losing the 8th round when he just walked away ...big difference to the first fight by miles and the fact duran could not pin loenard on the ropes or consistently land on leonard makes the fact he hardly hurt leonard or landed any meaningful shots...that's what I mean by that....and I've seen that fight hundreds of times and also seen the Montreal fight numerous times....maybe its you who needs to watch the superdome fight son

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
      Talking ****......Durans only way to beat Leonard was to make it a toe to toe toe fight...and a boxer will only do that when he feels the need to do so.....if a boxer decides to move and box there's no way a fighter like Duran can beat him.....................utter dribble!

Leonard wasn't able to "move and box" against Duran in the first bout. If he didn't get his feet under him Duran was going to stop him.

Originally Posted by Steve plunger ...you make it sound like it's easy to out box Duran!
      The first fight was both men at their best and Duran won. I also think Leonard fought his best fight in the loss. He boxed well, he fought well, he showed guts and determination too. Duran was just better!

Ray
      all ive heard from you is utter dribble ray corso....leonard was determined to fight duran at his own game and that's a fight that ray leonard was always gonna struggle to win.....leonard even won the last 3 rounds of the first fight and almost pulled the scores even...now theres also a possibility that leonard underestimated just how good an inside fighter duran was and by the time he found his feet with duran he was down quite a lot on points......the rematch leonard used footwork and movement and never laid up on the ropes when duran could work inside....that's what beat duran and that's why he quit...give it up now mr corso your becoming senile now with your observations

Comment

Sugar Ray would beat Duran 4 out of 5 times at welterweight. The better fighter is the one who makes adjustments not one who losses on one fight. Leonard would be far to fast and athletic for a Duran type using stratedgy,and Leonard was only in his 3rd year as a pro, Duran was more of a lightweight fighter in younger years but Leonard is the better fighter,and that beats toughness most of the time.

Comment

."leonard was determined to fight duran at his own game"........incorrect!

Mr. Plunger Leonard started off boxing and got caught by a left hook on the ropes and was hurt. That sequence alone woke Leonard up to the fact that moving in a circle against Duran wasn't a smart thing to do that night. He needed to use step overs and pivots and he had to punch with Duran or Duran would steam roll him.
          Leonard is NOT the better fighter he is more of a pure boxer and just as Duran was gifted with aggression Leonard was gifted with athleticism.

Leonard is the optimal boxer!
          Duran the ultimate fighter!

What was equally interesting for me was to see Arcel & Brown vs Dundee in the corners. Two of the best corners in the history of the sport.
          Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
            ."leonard was determined to fight duran at his own game"........incorrect!

Mr. Plunger Leonard started off boxing and got caught by a left hook on the ropes and was hurt. That sequence alone woke Leonard up to the fact that moving in a circle against Duran wasn't a smart thing to do that night. He needed to use step overs and pivots and he had to punch with Duran or Duran would steam roll him.
            Leonard is NOT the better fighter he is more of a pure boxer and just as Duran was gifted with aggression Leonard was gifted with athleticism.

Leonard is the optimal boxer!
            Duran the ultimate fighter!

What was equally interesting for me was to see Arcel & Brown vs Dundee in the corners. Two of the best corners in the history of the sport.
            Ray
            Leonard is the better fighter bc he is the more effective one ,if what you say is true than Leonard would not have been able to make adjustments in the first fight and start winning . A smarter Leonard defeated Duran the second time and would do so the majority of the time . Leonard also went up in weight defeating Hagler and Hearns something Duran doesnt have on his resume . Being gifted with aggression isnt exactly a skill ,being athletic is .

Comment

I also agree if Leonard or Duran fought 10 times, Leonard would win the majority. Im a much bigger Duran fan than Leonard but I find the excuses for the second fight laughable...he was not in shape... maybe Leonard just outclassed him. Duran does deserve full credit for the first fight though, a masterful performance just like the second fight was a masterful performance by Leonard.

Comment

Working...
              X