Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is Punch ressistence exactly? How does it wear down?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is Punch ressistence exactly? How does it wear down?

I know some have great chins, but what is it that makes them worse? I wonder what it is physically or is it mental?

Hmmmm, good question!

Could it be the more hard fights you have the more hard punches you take will at some point catch up with you? If you havent been in as many wars it takes longer?

Comment

it's pretty ****ing obvious that repeated head trauma isn't a good thing.

Comment

Punch resistance is affected by many things. For example your neck acts as a shock absorber to blows landed on your chin. Strengthening your neck and shoulder muscles would help a great deal in improving your chin/ punch resistance.

Also, there is a layer of fluid that surrounds your brain to protect your brain from rattling against your skull when you take a big shot. As your body becomes dehydrated this fluid layer depletes itself. That's why sometimes when guys move up in weight their punch resistance increases.
        Last edited by RlCKY; 11-15-2012, 08:13 AM.

Comment

I would argue that there is a massive mental component here. If you've been brutally knocked out before, the memory of that will still be present, even at a subconscious level and this could resurface at a later date.

Comment

When you get hit your brain bounces around in your skull and over time develops bruises on it so once the brain bruises so much it signals your body to go to sleep quicker and quicker......like getting a concussion

Comment

when i was a kid i did a black flip and hit my head on a diving board. ever since then i can't do a black flip. it's a psychological thing. before you get knocked out, you don't think about getting knocked out. you don't think it can happen to you. but once it does, you know that it can happen again.

look at fernando vargas. he was so confident and sure of himself. larry merchant said that he had an "aura of invisibility". then trinidad knocks him out. and he was never the same. i believe he was too young and had to few fights to be physically shot. i think he lost confidence his confidence.

Comment

Ring mileage (fights/sparring), previous ko's, weight issues, age/legs, overtraining, mental factors, alcohol abuse

seems like an internal clock for each individual fighter. some never reach their limit and end up fine. you could have a guy who may be blessed with a great chin for the big shots, also be naturally predisposed to take more shots over the years than others, AND have great defense...but once any one guy's "limit" is reached, the punch resistance seems to become an issue.

even though there are warning signs trainers and handlers can see in a fighter who is slipping, others don't find out until they are in the middle of a fight and it all unravels. plenty of examples of older fighters who seem worn down but still go out there and compete and hold their own and others who have to get out in their mid 20s because they're already shot
                Last edited by LA_2_Vegas; 11-15-2012, 08:33 AM.

Comment

it's about how strong your jaw muscles are, the weaker the easier to pull on and the easier to pull on the more you'll drop like a sack of sht everytime you get tagged, it's easier to pull on the jaw the lower down you go, i.e the chin

hit the chin and watch'em drop, so like all muscles, you can condition it but some people just have naturally stronger muscles olthough being unusually relaxed in this area can be helpful too

unless your talking about getting sparked the fuk out and waking up like 10 minutes later, that sht happens from just taking a brutal hit and your brain getting rocked, your concious self(you, yourself) gets knocked out and the subcouncious has to rewire and start you up
                  Last edited by SplitSecond; 11-15-2012, 08:30 AM.

Comment

clenching your teeth will help you absorb punches astronomically better

Comment

Working...
                    X