Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else thought that Paul Williams would have beaten Floyd @147?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler UK View Post
    He lost that fight but got the decision. Sergio wasn't even properly trained. We all saw what happened in the rematch.
    It was a close fight, could've gone either. My point is he can have success with guys who are moving. Surely Floyd is a different type of evader but it's not like Williams will be oblivious to movement. Williams does get hit, he's not a defensive genius but with his length, punch output, and solid chin at welterweight it just boggles my mind that people think it will be an easy fight for Floyd.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
      dude, if you ask an opinion question regarding a fantasy fight and Floyd fans pick Floyd-that's no different than any group of fans that pick "their" guy over another. That is what you expect fans to do.

But when you base your opinion of a guy solely on the fact he didn't fight Floyd, then change that opinion when he gets the Floyd fight and totally degrade him when he loses to floyd that's different.

you can feel pwill may have beaten Floyd. But he fought smaller than 6'1 and he did get outboxed by quintana and lara, 2 men who are not in Floyd's class. You don't seem to factor these facts into your assessment of pwill-just his high points.
      I never degraded floyds wins. I always felt he was the favorite against all the fighters he's faced so when he wins he did it was expected of him. I understand the difference in skill level between Floyd and quintana or Lara but styles make fights. It's not a guaranty that Floyd will outclass Williams like the others did. They're are plenty of examples of a fighter losing to fighters that weren't as skilled as a guy they were facing and beaten that fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by fallen_ego View Post
        I never degraded floyds wins. I always felt he was the favorite against all the fighters he's faced so when he wins he did it was expected of him. I understand the difference in skill level between Floyd and quintana or Lara but styles make fights. It's not a guaranty that Floyd will outclass Williams like the others did. They're are plenty of examples of a fighter losing to fighters that weren't as skilled as a guy they were facing and beaten that fighter.
        Sorry about that. I didn't mean you personally. should've worded it differently and said "posters". NSB does exactly what I said-the opinion of fighters at or near Floyd's weight class is almost always rooted in part on whether he fought them or not.

I agree with you about outclassing pwill. But there are always going to be fans that think that as well.

Pwill had attributes to trouble Floyd but he never fought that way. That's why IMO is hard to say he'd all the sudden use them "properly" in a Floyd fight.

Comment

Paul Williams by decision.

Williams was one of the reasons why Floyd "retired" in 2007.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
            Sorry about that. I didn't mean you personally. should've worded it differently and said "posters". NSB does exactly what I said-the opinion of fighters at or near Floyd's weight class is almost always rooted in part on whether he fought them or not.

I agree with you about outclassing pwill. But there are always going to be fans that think that as well.

Pwill had attributes to trouble Floyd but he never fought that way. That's why IMO is hard to say he'd all the sudden use them "properly" in a Floyd fight.
            All good dude, we can agree to disagree

Comment

Working...
            X