Collapse
No announcement yet.

Done trashing Margarito's career; let's reevaluate Cotto's

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Avenging the margarito loss means a lot. Hard to say hes not a hall of fame fighter at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by -Antonio- View Post
      Avenging the margarito loss means a lot. Hard to say hes not a hall of fame fighter at this point.
      LOL, yeah because Margarito is such an elite fighter. Cotto's win over Margarito was just mopping up a B or C level fighter who got as far as he did by cheating. Without plaster, that win's not much better than his win over Gomez. We're talking about everything ELSE Cotto has done. You know, against real opponents.

Comment

Originally posted by -Antonio- View Post
        It means literally nothing in my opinon.

Only reason I wanted to see the fight was so Cotto had a chance to get revenge.

In terms of legacy it does nothing what so ever for him.

Comment

Originally posted by DiegoFuego View Post
          When I did my top 10 fighters of the decade in 2010, I believe it went something like:

1. Mayweather
          2. Pacquiao
          3. Hopkins
          4. Barrera
          5. Marquez
          6. Cotto
          7. Calzaghe
          8. Wright
          9. Mosley
          10. Wladimir Klitschko

Now that's just based on what these guys did from 2000 to 2009. Now that one of Cotto's losses is basically null and void, he's only lost to the guy I rated 2nd in fighter of the decade. Career-wise, I think he's accomplished more than Calzaghe, Wright and Wlad. You don't have to agree though.
          It's funny how Marquez was top 10 pfp when he fought Floyd and then after Floyd dominated him Marquez only drops 1 or 2 spots in top 10 and then when he loses to Pac he's still top 10 pfp, they even got him listed at #3 after the pac fight over Sergio and Nonito, but after Cotto loses they take him off there top 10 pfp lists quick. He's only had 2 losses one being non legit and another being to the #1 dude so I think Cotto should belong in top 10 pfp. IMO the Pac fight was not legit do to catchweight so I think Cotto does deserve to get a chance to avenge his loss to Pac. That fighter of the decade list looks pretty good to me.

Comment

He's not an all-time great top 100 fighter or anything, but do you really think Cotto is that far behind some of the better fighters of this decade, the likes of Barrera, Morales, Marquez, Mosley, etc? Because I really don't.
            Well Barrera , Morales and Mosley were having world title fights before Cotto was even competing internationally as an amateur. They have had a lot more career than Cotto has. Barrera, for exmaple was re-inventing himself around the same time Cotto was turning pro. He's a tremendous fighter, his resume speaks for itself, so let's see what the next chapter brings.

Comment

When I did my top 10 fighters of the decade in 2010, I believe it went something like:

1. Mayweather
              2. Pacquiao
              3. Hopkins
              4. Barrera
              5. Marquez
              6. Cotto
              7. Calzaghe
              8. Wright
              9. Mosley
              10. Wladimir Klitschko

Now that's just based on what these guys did from 2000 to 2009. Now that one of Cotto's losses is basically null and void, he's only lost to the guy I rated 2nd in fighter of the decade. Career-wise, I think he's accomplished more than Calzaghe, Wright and Wlad. You don't have to agree though.
              Where's Morales?

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                Where's Morales?
                Career-wise, I think Morales is better than both Barrera and Marquez. But that was just of the last decade. And between 2000 and 2009, Morales lost 6 fights (though I always thought the Diaz loss was BS). Same reason Roy Jones or Oscar De La Hoya isn't on that list. Great careers, but they didn't do their best work in the latter half of the 2000s.

Comment

Originally posted by thoughtsss View Post
                  It's funny how Marquez was top 10 pfp when he fought Floyd and then after Floyd dominated him Marquez only drops 1 or 2 spots in top 10 and then when he loses to Pac he's still top 10 pfp, they even got him listed at #3 after the pac fight over Sergio and Nonito, but after Cotto loses they take him off there top 10 pfp lists quick. He's only had 2 losses one being non legit and another being to the #1 dude so I think Cotto should belong in top 10 pfp. IMO the Pac fight was not legit do to catchweight so I think Cotto does deserve to get a chance to avenge his loss to Pac. That fighter of the decade list looks pretty good to me.
                  Thats because marquez beat pacquaio up and won only to get robbed of his win, cotto got a career worst ass whooping and was knocked out.

Comment

Career-wise, I think Morales is better than both Barrera and Marquez. But that was just of the last decade. And between 2000 and 2009, Morales lost 6 fights (though I always thought the Diaz loss was BS). Same reason Roy Jones or Oscar De La Hoya isn't on that list. Great careers, but they didn't do their best work in the latter half of the 2000s.
                    Maybe not the second half of the decade, but the first half of the decade 00-05 is the bulk of Morales' reasons for his greatness.

His 2 best wisn are between 00-05 with Pacquaio and Barrera.

Wins over Jesus Chavez, Carlos Hernandez, Guty Espadas Jr, Paulie Ayala etc.

I'd say without any question that his resume from 00-05 utterly trumps his resume from 97-99.

And his resume from 00-05 certainly smashes Cotto's entire career out the water.

Comment

Working...
                    X