No announcement yet.

Was Hagler ever rocked/wobbled?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was Hagler ever rocked/wobbled?

Roldan scored a knockdown on Hagler which was more a drag down as Roldan's punch pulled Hagler down from the back of his head but did anyone actually properly rock Hagler, in terms of make his legs wobble? It is a very unusual thing for a fighter to go through his entire career without being legitimately dropped or wobbled so I just wonder if someone may have done that to him in his pre- championship fights. Does anyone know?

Originally posted by Humean View Post
    Roldan scored a knockdown on Hagler which was more a drag down as Roldan's punch pulled Hagler down from the back of his head but did anyone actually properly rock Hagler, in terms of make his legs wobble? It is a very unusual thing for a fighter to go through his entire career without being legitimately dropped or wobbled so I just wonder if someone may have done that to him in his pre- championship fights. Does anyone know?
    Hagler was one of the first fighters I ever watched and I have watched most of his fights that are online since then. As far as I can remember the Hearns fight was the closest he came to being wobbled. I haven't watched the Mugabi fight in years so I'm not 100% sure about that.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.DagoWop View Post
      Hagler was one of the first fighters I ever watched and I have watched most of his fights that are online since then. As far as I can remember the Hearns fight was the closest he came to being wobbled. I haven't watched the Mugabi fight in years so I'm not 100% sure about that.
      I don't recall Mugabi ever wobbling Hagler despite the big blows he was landing. Hearns' right hand sort of jarred Hagler for a second and probably buzzed him good but I don't think it really wobbled him but I agree that is the closest I can recall seeing Hagler badly hurt in a fight. I think Antuofermo hurt Hagler slightly in their first fight but not to the point of being wobbled/rocked. I just find it amazing as other granite chinned guys did get dropped, LaMotta against Nardico and Fullmer against Turner, Lausse and Robinson. Most guys get wobbled or dropped on the way up, for instance Golovkin was wobbled by Amari and Canelo by Cotto's brother.

Comment

Hagler was never wobbled in a televised fight. Wobble has a specific definition. It does not mean stopping in your tracks for an instant. That might properly be called stunned. Hagler was stunned a few times but never wobbled.

People usually mention Hearns but I believe Roldan stunned Marvin the best, and it was not from the so-called knockdown punch, either. It was at another part in the fight. I would have to re-watch it to identify the place. It really is not that easy to find on tape even, like all Marvin's stunnings, but can be located and stamped for approval by the diligent. He simply stops Marvin in his tracks for an instant.

With discussing Hagler, lively debate can ensue over the simple question of whether he was actually ever wobbled. That is what we have going on here. I do not think there is any debate that he was ever wobbled. He wasn't. The actual debate is whether Marvin was ever stunned, and how badly.

Comment

Yeah I don't think Marvin was wobbled either. And not everyone is wobbled or dropped. I mean, was Oliver McCall ever knocked down? Not that I've heard or seen.

Comment

If Marvin ever was stunned or wobbled, it would have been in the Mugabi fight.
            Man that was a great fight, i watch it often when im bored. Seen it at least 20 times.

Comment

The only time I can remember was against the hitman in rnd 1

@22:50

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYt5Rz2XlAg

Comment

I thought for sure that hearns stunned and wobbled Hagler has hagler tried to get inside.. It's about 2 minutes in the 1st round..

Comment

He was never badly rocked. Not to my memory.

That is a great thing like you mentioned, even the other iron chinned middleweights such as Monzon, Tiger, Lamotta, Fullmer, Bastillio, Robinson etc etc were all badly hurt at one point or another.

Comment

Never wobbled or badly hurt based on what I have seen. I haven't read about it happening either.

Comment

Working...
                    X