Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is the better boxing trainer, Manny Steward or Teddy Atlas?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ask Hearns or Wlad their opinion of Steward, they'll speak well of him.

But if you ask Briggs, Moorer, LaLonde, Grant, etc their opinion of Teddy, they'll say he's a control freak and something of a nutcase.

Shannon Briggs calls Atlas “the ultimate control freak,” and describes some of the very eccentric behavior that the trainer would engage in. “One of the craziest things he ever said to me was, ‘When you’re in the ring, you’re the body and I’m the mind’” says Briggs. “I’m just the body and he’s the mind? What’s that about?”

In a story very similar to what has been heard from others (like American heavyweight Michael Grant) who have worked with Atlas, Briggs says that he was left with serious emotional scars from his relationship with the trainer.

When Briggs lost for the first time, Atlas “went on national TV and gave me a hard time,” Briggs recounts. “I was hurt because at that point, despite everything that I thought he was doing wrong, he was my father figure. He hurt me and I’ve told him that. It took me a long time to recover mentally from all the things that he said and did. I felt anger because I had dedicated four years to him and I felt like I had been betrayed.”
    Other fighters who know Teddy speak badly of him:

“He’s a hypocrite–Teddy Atlas is a hypocrite when it comes to his fighters. He doesn’t preach what he teach,” said Monte Barrett.

Comment

Listen to what George Foreman says here:

And listen to what Manny Steward says about Teddy "too much lecturing, not enough training":

Comment

Teddy alllday

Comment

Originally posted by chico 305 View Post
          Teddy alllday
          You must be joking.

Comment

manny..teddy to me is an idiot....he's always " you have to hit him with this shot and not get hitback" on espn..

Comment

I guess asking rhetorical questions is par for the course around here.

Not only is Steward better than Atlas, he's better than just about any other trainer in the history of the sport.

Steward is not really an active trainer any more, he is more of a boxing philanthropist at this point. People act like Wlad and Lewis somehow made him who he is but he was a legend before Lewis ever had an amateur fight.

Steward trained Hilmer Kenty, Thomas Hearns, Milton McCrory, Duane Thomas, Jimmy Paul and Steve McCrory from the time they were children until they were world champions.

They all won legit world titles from Kenty in 1980 to Thomas in 1986 when he defeated JOhn Mugabi.

How many other trainers have trained 6 separate guys, all from the same city, from amatuer to world champion, in a 6 year span?

I would wager to guess the answer to that question is 0. Manny Steward is the gold standard when it comes to taking kids and making them champions.

And if you respond to this thread saying some stup*d **** about how he doesn't do it anymore.... well no **** you idiots, he's an old ****ing man with a lot on his plate.

He is still very active and has sacrificed a lot to keep the Kronk Gym open, he just doesn't need all the extra attention like the rest of the trainers out there.

Comment

Originally posted by punchville View Post
                manny..teddy to me is an idiot....he's always " you have to hit him with this shot and not get hitback" on espn..
                Exactly.

Comment

Working...
                X