Time for Andre Ward to defend his title or be stripped

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by -PANDA- View Post
    yeah we figured that much...

my point is he's not going to be able to fight a top 10 guy like u want him to do if there is no one available
    He should move up or retire then.

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
      He should make moves to fight Kessler in Copenhagen. That would give him the payday he wont get in the US.
      ward wants to fight on november 16 which hbo reserved for him...I'm not sure negotiations for that fight could be done in time for both fighters to have a full training camp

Comment

Originally posted by Szef99 View Post
        He should move up or retire then.
        agreed even though I'd still love to see him fight ggg or chavez jr at some point

Comment

Originally posted by -PANDA- View Post
          ward wants to fight on november 16 which hbo reserved for him...I'm not sure negotiations for that fight could be done in time for both fighters to have a full training camp
          HBO has turned down every single fighter Ward has suggested as an opponent.

If he takes on Kessler it doesn't have to be November, even though a November fight is still possible to make. HBO will not be the primary revenuegenerator for this fight. That would be scandinavian PPV and a massive gate.

Comment

HBO has turned down every single fighter Ward has suggested as an opponent.

If he takes on Kessler it doesn't have to be November, even though a November fight is still possible to make. HBO will not be the primary revenuegenerator for this fight. That would be scandinavian PPV and a massive gate.
            It would probably exceed Ward's career highest purse of $1.3m against Dawson quite easily.

Makes sense for both parties, only question is, will Ward travel?

But I think he's said that he won't jump in with a top guy immediately after his injury. He was looking at Sartison as an opponent. That guy Kessler smashed all those years ago.

Comment

I feel sorry for Ward in a way. His career has lost all momentum and he has little or no marketability. He is a largely forgotten fighter whereas a year ago he was vying for and making a good argument for being number 1 p4p.

Its hard to think of another fighter in recent times who has lost/given away so much without actually losing in the ring. His injury must have been pretty damn serious.

Comment

Originally posted by junior gong View Post
                I feel sorry for Ward in a way. His career has lost all momentum and he has little or no marketability. He is a largely forgotten fighter whereas a year ago he was vying for and making a good argument for being number 1 p4p.

Its hard to think of another fighter in recent times who has lost/given away so much without actually losing in the ring. His injury must have been pretty damn serious.
                Guillermo Rigondeaux - at least HBO wants to show Ward's fights. Not to mention Rigo has scumbag of promoter who wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire.

Comment

Originally posted by Szef99 View Post
                  Guillermo Rigondeaux - at least HBO wants to show Ward's fights. Not to mention Rigo has scumbag of promoter who wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire.
                  In a way Rigo is on fire and his promotor IS pissing on him.

Comment

In a way Rigo is on fire and his promotor IS pissing on him.
                    Thats an astute observation!

Comment

Yes, it's time for him to fight or give up the title.It's to bad he was injured but it is his problem. A weight class should not be put on hold forever because the champion has injuries that take a long time to heal. Let Ward heal and come back to reclaim the title if he is good enough.Martinez is the same type of thing.He wants to take a year off to heal and still not fight GGG. He wants a tune up fight first because he will be rusty.If the champ can't stay healthy it's sad. But it should not be the problem of a whole weight class of good healthy fighters that are ready to fight now.

Comment

Working...
                      X