No announcement yet.

Mayweather questions Pacquiao's stature among boxing greats

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mayweather questions Pacquiao's stature among boxing greats

Former pound-for-pound king Floyd Mayweather Jr. again took a swipe at international boxing star Manny Pacquiao, questioning the Filipino’s stature among boxing greats.

In a conference call about his upcoming fight against “Sugar” Shane Mosley, the controversial boxer downplayed Pacquiao’s sensational victories over Puerto Rico’s Miguel Cotto and Britain’s Ricky Hatton.

“He beat a Miguel Cotto who got pummeled with a cast and he beat a Ricky Hatton that got stretched by me… That’s not for me to put him in the Hall of Fame,” Mayweather said in a report posted on boxing.fighthype.com.

The Filipino stopped Cotto in 12 rounds last November to win the World Boxing Organization (WBO) welterweight title, his 7th in 7 weight classes.

Prior to facing Cotto, Pacquiao knocked out Hatton in just 2 rounds. It took Mayweather 10 rounds to stop the bull strong Briton.

The Boxing Writers Association of America thus picked the Filipino over Mayweather, Bernard Hopkins, Joe Calzaghe, Shane Mosley, Juan Manuel Marquez and Marco Antonio Barrera as the Fighter of the Decade.

Analysts also compared Pacquiao to the late boxing great Henry Armstrong, who simultaneously held world titles in 3 three different divisions.

The undefeated Mayweather also said that unlike him, the Filipino has suffered losses in his professional career, aside from struggling against counter punching expert Juan Manuel Marquez.

“Manny Pacquiao struggled twice, which we really know he got beat, struggled twice with Marquez, which we know he really lost. Right? And we know he been knocked out twice and he got outboxed by Erik Morales, but then they still give him Boxer of the Decade. So that’s another thing I don’t understand,” said Mayweather.

Pacquiao, considered as one of the most exciting boxers today, took over Mayweather’s pound-for-pound status when the latter went on temporary retirement in 2007.

The 2 boxers were supposed to settle the issue of who is the best pound-for-pound fighter through a match last March. However, negotiations for the bout collapsed over a drug test dispute.

As a result, Pacquiao instead fought Joshua Clottey, whom he defeated by unanimous decision last March 13.

Mayweather, for his part, secured a fight against Mosley on May 1.

LINK

It doesn't really matter, Pacquiao is definitely going in the history books, like it or not. Same goes for Floydie.

Comment

**** storm about to brew in 3...2...1

Comment

Oh boy, 6000 pages here we come.

Comment

Floyd is really jealous of pac huh?

Comment

“Manny Pacquiao struggled twice, which we really know he got beat, struggled twice with Marquez, which we know he really lost. Right? And we know he been knocked out twice and he got outboxed by Erik Morales, but then they still give him Boxer of the Decade. So that’s another thing I don’t understand,” said Mayweather.

That's the part I didn't understand either!

Comment

floyd always downplay pac everytime his name is brought up.

when manny is asked of floyd, he says he is a great fighter and a "torch bearer" for the sport. never downplays his wins.

floyd is such an insecure *****. concentrate on your damn fight

Comment

Originally posted by Guillotine View Post
                Floyd is really jealous of pac huh?
                damn right he is. and so are his fans

Comment

Someone tell Floyd to STOP HATING.

Comment

Originally posted by cortdawg25 View Post

That's the part I didn't understand either!
                    agreed with you on this one, it doesnt make sense and he doesnt whant another marqueze fight but that could be because marqueze wont pull big numbers any more?

Comment

Working...
                    X