Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good majors/degrees that aren't math or science.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
    If you can count up to 10 you can do accounting.
    It's more about following rules, not solving engineer like equations or building a project for NASA. Also, using a calculator is mandatory on exams and class. Put it like this, if you could use a calculator, you could do accounting.

Even without a brain injury, i'm not all up there in the head when it comes to math. I'm always the dumbest one in my math class. I'm still taking remedial math[Elementary Algebra], yet i'm already in a level 2 class in Accounting, level 2 class in English, and basically i'm straight A or A- in anything other than math. Accounting is nothing like "solve for x if x = -15 to the 3rd power, and y=1,000,000, figure out the mass of the sun". Nothing like that at all.

I get it. But accounting still requires some wits about you and patience. You're not dealing with anything of remote interest. It's crunching numbers and following rules as you said.

And if you really wanna skip out on trying to get hired by private companies with your bachelor's degree, then you need to take that CPA test which from what I read is 12 hours long. If he has a brain injury, then it's one of the last things he should do.

Comment

Originally posted by sukhenkoy View Post
      A lot of the ones that posters on here have mentioned already are science-based majors.

However, like Barnburner has mentioned, I think something like teaching (obviously not maths or sciences) would probably be your best bet. I don't know how serious your condition is, but the reality of today's working world is that you should at least be able to do simple algebra (pretty much regardless of what field you're in).
      This and besides any course requires a 3 units of algebra, in my country I mean..

Comment

Originally posted by VG_Addict View Post
        I guess I'm doomed to be a failure.

What do you mean simple algebra?
        Not at all. Simple algebra means solving very simple daily life situation like, "I will be 60 years old 7 years from now, how old am I?".

Comment

Originally posted by kadyo View Post
          Not at all. Simple algebra means solving very simple daily life situation like, "I will be 60 years old 7 years from now, how old am I?".
          I may be bad at math, but not THAT bad.

OK, now that I think about it, I can remember bits and pieces of algebra, and formulas. That's good, right?
          Last edited by VG_Addict; 02-17-2013, 10:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by VG_Addict View Post
            I may be bad at math, but not THAT bad.

OK, now that I think about it, I can remember bits and pieces of algebra, and formulas. That's good, right?
            Yes you're right and algebra ain't that complicated at all. You just have to learn it one step at a time and with a good teacher, it's actually a very enjoyable subject.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
              If you can count up to 10 you can do accounting.
              It's more about following rules, not solving engineer like equations or building a project for NASA. Also, using a calculator is mandatory on exams and class. Put it like this, if you could use a calculator, you could do accounting.

Even without a brain injury, i'm not all up there in the head when it comes to math. I'm always the dumbest one in my math class. I'm still taking remedial math[Elementary Algebra], yet i'm already in a level 2 class in Accounting, level 2 class in English, and basically i'm straight A or A- in anything other than math. Accounting is nothing like "solve for x if x = -15 to the 3rd power, and y=1,000,000, figure out the mass of the sun". Nothing like that at all.
              In order for him to get an accounting degree, he's going to have to take an algebra class, possibly a trig class, and definitely quantitative methods. I'm an auditor and I use algebra from time to time when reviewing transactions or examining a company's evaluation method of depreciation and inventory.

Comment

Originally posted by Ta Khent View Post
                In order for him to get an accounting degree, he's going to have to take an algebra class, possibly a trig class, and definitely quantitative methods. I'm an auditor and I use algebra from time to time when reviewing transactions or examining a company's evaluation method of depreciation and inventory.
                Most credible business schools nowadays require their students to take Calculus I.

How do you like working as an auditor?

Comment

Most credible business schools nowadays require their students to take Calculus I.

Overall, I like it. It took some getting accustomed to working within strict hourly budgets.

Comment

Originally posted by Cupocity303 View Post

I get it. But accounting still requires some wits about you and patience. You're not dealing with anything of remote interest. It's crunching numbers and following rules as you said.

And if you really wanna skip out on trying to get hired by private companies with your bachelor's degree, then you need to take that CPA test which from what I read is 12 hours long. If he has a brain injury, then it's one of the last things he should do.

Yeah the math itself isnt complex but you have to be good with numbers and like working with them for accounting.

Put it like this, if you cant do your own tax return because it confuses you then you shouldnt pursue accounting. A lot of people get confused with taxes even though its simple math. They can add and subtract but give them a bunch of numbers to track and forms to fill out and it becomes confusing for a lot of people.

Comment

Yeah my school required some basic calc class for even business majors. It was called business calculus or something like that that they could take in lieu of the regular one.

Comment

Working...
                      X