Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mayweather vs. Cotto post fight Thread -DON'T make new threads about the fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the only manner in which Cotto can win is to now allow Mayweather to get off first.

I broke down this fight for Cotto awhile back, but my post history only goes back 100 curiously and I really didn't want to re-write the novel I posted.

Anyways, Cotto can't circle Floyd at any point. Floyd loves to throw the lead right hand or the lead left hook. They are his two best punches and it allows him to dictate what he does next. So the key is to not let him do that.

He has to double up and even triple up the jab that allows him to close the gap and throw body punches. He has to be willing to commit to a sustained body attack. Similar to the Calderon/Segura I fight. Calderon was/is to smooth to be consistently tagged up top, so Segura just hit whatever it was that he was able to, eventually he got through.

Cotto also has to have a B and C plan. Eventually Floyd will adjust to the double and triple jabs and will wait/cover up and allow Cotto to finish, then counter and step away, so Cotto will need to similarly adjust. I've noticed that Floyd loves to move and pivot to his left when exiting his defensive position, so Cotto will have to move to his right to have a chance to catch him.

Cotto's right hand has been on the comeback trail following the should surgery after the Foreman fight, so when Floyd steps to his left, Cotto will need to shoot that right and quickly throw the left to the body because Floyd will be able to see that right hand coming.

Lastly, Floyd's lack of consistent mobility now and days is of benefit to Cotto, so that Cotto can tie him up, wrestle him a bit and not let him get off first, although this tactic wouldn't be the overall best because Floyd is lightning fast enough to throw those rights after the break

Comment

• Originally posted by 4CornersKid View Post
      He should pressure him. If he tries to fight on the outside, he will get picked apart for 12 rounds easily. If Floyd starts actually walking him down successfully, it's over for Cotto. I know Miguel can fight well backing up, but even if he's back peddling and than tries to shoot off his punches like he does, he isn't going to land much on Floyd, who will move out of range.
      How much will Floyd land on Cotto though? at this point in their careers I think Cotto has better movement and footwork. Floyd is a much more static fighter these days.

Originally posted by Young Money View Post
      Nothing pissed me off more than when Mosley just gave up vs Mayweather.
      Mosley didn't give up, he just had nothing left. The pace the fight was being fought at was too much for the old guy (same for the Pac fight). Mosley was powerless.

Originally posted by Toney Loc View Post
      Another thing...Margarito's corpse was still able to bust him up. Miguelito is going to eat alot of leather May 5.
      Margarito's a big man though and is relentless coming forward in the ring.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Weebler II View Post
        Margarito's a big man though and is relentless coming forward in the ring.
        He's also slower than molasses in January.

Comment

• Originally posted by Toney Loc View Post
          The only reason I like Cotto in this is that historically, he has done well against Boxers/movers but I just can't see him fighting his fight against Floyd for too long.

Another thing...Margarito's corpse was still able to bust him up. Miguelito is going to eat alot of leather May 5.
          Cotto is going to eat some leather, but it isn't going to be because Tony was able to land punches on him. Tony's reach, size and chin allowed him to be in Cotto's face all night(s) long and not give him time to breath. Its natural that fists exchange

Floyd will land because he only throws punches that he knows will land because he anticipates his foes movements, without ever really moving. He lets opponents make the mistakes and beat themselves, whereas Tony throws punches just to throw punches and they'll land as they will. Two totally different approaches to the art of throwing a punch

Comment

• Originally posted by JmH Reborn View Post
            the only manner in which Cotto can win is to now allow Mayweather to get off first.

I broke down this fight for Cotto awhile back, but my post history only goes back 100 curiously and I really didn't want to re-write the novel I posted.

Anyways, Cotto can't circle Floyd at any point. Floyd loves to throw the lead right hand or the lead left hook. They are his two best punches and it allows him to dictate what he does next. So the key is to not let him do that.

He has to double up and even triple up the jab that allows him to close the gap and throw body punches. He has to be willing to commit to a sustained body attack. Similar to the Calderon/Segura I fight. Calderon was/is to smooth to be consistently tagged up top, so Segura just hit whatever it was that he was able to, eventually he got through.

Cotto also has to have a B and C plan. Eventually Floyd will adjust to the double and triple jabs and will wait/cover up and allow Cotto to finish, then counter and step away, so Cotto will need to similarly adjust. I've noticed that Floyd loves to move and pivot to his left when exiting his defensive position, so Cotto will have to move to his right to have a chance to catch him.

Cotto's right hand has been on the comeback trail following the should surgery after the Foreman fight, so when Floyd steps to his left, Cotto will need to shoot that right and quickly throw the left to the body because Floyd will be able to see that right hand coming.

Lastly, Floyd's lack of consistent mobility now and days is of benefit to Cotto, so that Cotto can tie him up, wrestle him a bit and not let him get off first, although this tactic wouldn't be the overall best because Floyd is lightning fast enough to throw those rights after the break
            Excellent breakdown.

You might wanna get Diaz on the phone.

Comment

Yeah, I think that could be a key factor in the fight.

4 years ago I would've backed Floyd's superior movement to pitty pat a straightforward wide-UD against Cotto. He doesn't have that mobility any more, whereas Cotto as the younger man still does.

Floyd has to stand and fight whereas Cotto who has still got his legs, he has the option of moving around or standing in front o f his man.

I think Floyd's still the better pure boxer but it's going to be a close fight.

Mayweather via controversial decision (but don't rule out Cotto landing big as he did on Mayorga, he has great timing on his shots)

Originally posted by Toney Loc View Post
              He's also slower than molasses in January.
              well that's why he lost, but very few fighters don't get pinned by Margo at some point in a fight, even Pacquiao got nailed to the ropes at one point
              Last edited by Weebler I; 02-02-2012, 01:56 AM.

Comment

• although I wish we could have seen PAC-PBF this May, this fight with Cotto is a good fight for Mayweather definetly better than alvarez fight ...

Comment

• Originally posted by The Weebler II View Post
                  How can Cotto beat Mayweather?

Should he take him on the inside like Ortiz tried?

or fight him on the outside like he did with Margarito?

Thoughts?
                  does it matter?
                  Cotto's gonna get his fucking ass kicked no matter what he does

Comment

• Originally posted by ThePhantom5 View Post
                    Excellent breakdown.

You might wanna get Diaz on the phone.
                    I think this fight has been agreed upon in principle since the day after the Margarito win, I suspect that Diaz has been locked away in a hole just watching tape on Money May.

What's amazing is that Mayweather doesn't do anything that is extraordinary to a vigilant eye, he's exceptional at what he does, but it seems that the people he fight are more intent on fighting "his" fight then get trapped and beaten down.

Its like, you know the guy can raise his hands to protect his face and move his shoulders to protect his chin so fast but they're so intent on head hunting, thus expending so much energy hitting air.

I mean Mosley had Floyd momentarily on queer street and instead of capitalizing on it and touching his body that was exposed for what was an eternity in a boxing fight, he spent all his energy going for the KO that it allowed Floyd to get his composure back and then the fight was over.

I really wish the Ortiz fight went the whole 12 rounds because you can see that the movement was starting to bother him and I wanted to see Floyd more in his new more stationary style and see how it affects him long term.

Comment

I really wish the Ortiz fight went the whole 12 rounds because you can see that the movement was starting to bother him and I wanted to see Floyd more in his new more stationary style and see how it affects him long term.
                      yeah Ortiz was still full of energy, the punches weren't taking it out of him and he was beginning to tag FMJ. Shame he went ape-**** with the headbutt, we were denied a potentially great finish.

Comment

Working...
                      X