Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would any version of Tyson ever beat Lennox?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lewis had a long neck that was not particularly muscled for a boxer. He may not have been built to absorb devastating shots.

Comment

We do know some things: Tyson often faced guys as a pro he had faced before. Many times, as with Tyron Briggs for example, the guys had a bit of success with Tyson only to be devistated when fighting in the pro ranks, by Tyson. Lewis had a bit more history than many having been succesful against Tyson after initially not being very aggressive. Lewis also has a history of having this problem as a pro: many times he started out gingerly and was either beat or punished because of it. Briggs had some early success against Lewis under these conditions and against Mccall he really looked spacey (the first fight) and I remember being worried about him.

By contrast the Lewis who beat Golata and Grant was very focused and it showed.

Either way this is a good scrap. Lewis in a punch out is an enigma because against Rahman and Mccall he was starched but he showed a great chin against both Briggs and against KLitschko. I think either guy takes it depending on which one is at their best their worse and who is willing to commit.

Comment

2002 Lennox(249lb) vs 1988 Tyson(218lb) would be like LHW Adonis Stevenson facing welterweight like Manny Pacquiao Lennox is not just taller, he is also bigger, stronger. He made Hulking Holyfields arms look ordinary.

Comment

Originally posted by Joeyzagz View Post
          2002 Lennox(249lb) vs 1988 Tyson(218lb) would be like LHW Adonis Stevenson facing welterweight like Manny Pacquiao Lennox is not just taller, he is also bigger, stronger. He made Hulking Holyfields arms look ordinary.
          When doing weight comparisons you have to do a ratio and not a spread. If you do it via ratios it comes out more like fighting a full junior middleweight, not a small welterweight.

Comment

You seem to be implying that the old, fat version of Lennox that beat a shot Tyson absolutely and easily destroys any version of Tyson. Which is certainly interesting, too put it kindly. The problem with Lewis is that it is difficult to determine his prime. Presumably it was during that 6 1/2 year stretch where he wasn't getting embarrassed by journeymen. But probably not including the fight where he went life and death with the durable, but rather limited Mercer. So maybe in the less that 5 year stretch between that fight and the embarrassing loss to Rahman.

I think the young 225 lb version that starched Ruddock would make for the most entertaining fight. But his best chances of a win would be the later, heavier Steward version. Where he might eke out a boring UD, looking a lot like the Tua fight. Any version of Lewis most likely gets laid out against 88/89 Tyson though. IMO, of course.

Comment

So by that logic Butterbean would starch any heavyweight? He is bigger and his arms make even Lewis' look ordinary and why would Lewis be so much stronger than Tyson based on weight? A prime Tyson was one muscle pretty much, I don't think a prime Lewis was necessarily physically stronger than Mike.

Comment

Ruddock left his razor sharp jab in the gym or in the dressing room both times against Mike. Tried to take him out with smash instead of setting it up with the jab and straight right. This also shows Mike's toughness and greatness. Took on a real tough guy that Bowe, Holyfield, Mercer and others wanted nothing to do with.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Jeffries View Post
                  You seem to be implying that the old, fat version of Lennox that beat a shot Tyson absolutely and easily destroys any version of Tyson. Which is certainly interesting, too put it kindly. The problem with Lewis is that it is difficult to determine his prime. Presumably it was during that 6 1/2 year stretch where he wasn't getting embarrassed by journeymen. But probably not including the fight where he went life and death with the durable, but rather limited Mercer. So maybe in the less that 5 year stretch between that fight and the embarrassing loss to Rahman.

I think the young 225 lb version that starched Ruddock would make for the most entertaining fight. But his best chances of a win would be the later, heavier Steward version. Where he might eke out a boring UD, looking a lot like the Tua fight. Any version of Lewis most likely gets laid out against 88/89 Tyson though. IMO, of course.
                  2002 Lennox would look like a CGI Monster from Lord of the rings if you placed him in Tysons eighties. we're talking a 30 lb weight advantage comprised of hard muscle with speed, size and skill to boot.

I just see 218 lb Tyson getting launched in the air Justin Fortune style. Prime Holy has a more annoying style and would be more competetive IMO.

Comment

Prime for prime, I like Lennox to win by UD. He probably gets hurt a little early and it could be close, but Lennox pulls away in the last few rounds to win it. The 1985-1989 Tyson vs. the pre Stewart Lewis, I like Tyson to win by TKO.

Comment

Working...
                    X