Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Even in Decline, Roy Jones’ Hall Legacy Remains Pristine

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Even in Decline, Roy Jones’ Hall Legacy Remains Pristine

By Lyle Fitzsimmons - It’s a good thing I’m way thin on accomplishments.

I was MVP of a Cinderella hockey run as a Niagara Falls pre-teen, and I’ve managed to outrun about 10 percent of the field while completing a dozen 10-plus mile road races since… but no one’s been ringing the cell phone lately asking for up-front tickets to my Hall of Fame inductions.

It’s just as well, I guess, because I don’t particularly like being a target.

These days, no matter the acclaim earned over a career in an endeavor of choice, it seems a righteously indignant never-was is rarely far away with a sheaf of reasons why even one more split-second in the spotlight – win, lose, draw or otherwise – will immediately reduce legacies to rubble.

This past weekend, it was Roy Jones Jr.’s turn in the crosshairs.

Again.

Nearly every day since October 2005 – when a unanimous decision against Antonio Tarver was the third straight loss in a career that just 18 months earlier had been sans blemish – some soothsayer from some outlet has written that the Pensacola showman ought to retire in order to save his resume.

Or just as accurately, the writer's warped view of it.

As if three losses then – or the four more he’s had in 11 fights since – would be enough to cancel out title belts in multiple classes, one-sided wins over myriad Hall of Famers and more plentiful highlight-reel material than any 100 fighters whose careers dissolved long before anyone noticed. [Click Here To Read More]

Originally posted by BIGPOPPAPUMP View Post

I was MVP of a Cinderella hockey run as a Niagara Falls pre-teen, and I’ve managed to outrun about 10 percent of the field while completing a dozen 10-plus mile road races since… but no one’s been ringing the cell phone lately asking for up-front tickets to my Hall of Fame inductions.

These days, no matter the acclaim earned over a career in an endeavor of choice, it seems a righteously indignant never-was is rarely far away with a sheaf of reasons why even one more split-second in the spotlight – win, lose, draw or otherwise – will immediately reduce legacies to rubble.

Again.

Nearly every day since October 2005 – when a unanimous decision against Antonio Tarver was the third straight loss in a career that just 18 months earlier had been sans blemish – some soothsayer from some outlet has written that the Pensacola showman ought to retire in order to save his resume.

As if three losses then – or the four more he’s had in 11 fights since – would be enough to cancel out title belts in multiple classes, one-sided wins over myriad Hall of Famers and more plentiful highlight-reel material than any 100 fighters whose careers dissolved long before anyone noticed. [Click Here To Read More]
    Article Link - http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&o...#ixzz1zY0Ztmto
    This is a legal waiver. By copying and using the material from this article, you agree to give full credit to BoxingScene.com or provide a link to the original article.

Muhammad Ali lost to Trevor Berbick, but his plaque still says “The Greatest.” Ray Leonard lost to Hector Camacho, but he's still called “Sugar Ray.” Julio Cesar Chavez lost to Grover Wiley, but he'll always be “El Gran Campeon Mexicano.”

And regardless of what happens to Jones from here on out, he's still “Superman.”
    nice read...

Comment

it's a shame his dignity isn't as "pristine" as his legacy

whoring himself out to get brutally ktfo by bums for a few nickel and dimes

Comment

Great article.

I don't mind Roy fighting, and even if I did who am I/we to tell him no? I'll sure keep watching

Comment

Originally posted by BIGPOPPAPUMP View Post

Again.

Thanks for this article Lyle!!!

Comment

Roy will always be the greatest fighter of the 90's and did some amazing things in boxing in his prime! Even in decline, he is still one of The greatest fighters in my life time!

Comment

Originally posted by BigAlexSand View Post
              Roy will always be the greatest fighter of the 90's and did some amazing things in boxing in his prime! Even in decline, he is still one of The greatest fighters in my life time!
              Agreed. He will always be one of my all time favorites regardless of his past prime boxing career. People hate on him, but I don't see anyone in the near future that will resemble anything close to him or his accomplishments. I'd like to be proven wrong.

Comment

At this very moment, RJ is one of the top 10 greatest fighters to ever lace them up. If he wins the Cruiserweight Title, his stock sores to the top 5. How many boxers would have titles ranging from middleweight to heavyweight, 5 different weight classes but most of all, held the Heavyweight Title of the world. Roy is working on history and if he obtains the Cruiserweight Title, the L's that he took doesn't matter. Win, lose or draw he is "Superman" with a goal and he's not letting anyone stand in his way. After looking at RJ's last fight again, my mind hasn't changed. Roy landed more shots from the opening bell. Glazewski fought hard from round 6 on but he just didn't do enough to clearly win over the legend.
                In my opinion, rematching RJ will be a mistake. Suffering 2 L's from RJ will hurt his stock so Glazewski should take this as a learning experience and focus on someone different. RJ should continue towards his goal against Wlodarczyk or Tarver.
                Wlodarczyk says he would have finished Jones in the 6 th round. To me it sounds like Wlodarczyk want it with Superman. Jones can beat Wlodarczyk if he doesn't get into a brawling match and just use his skills. Stick and move, Jab, Hook and Uppercut his way to victory. Did I say Jab!!! Wlodarczyk isn't as good as Lebedev and doesn't punch as hard. Roy should win this one too. This time Roy will know who he's fighting with ample time to prepare. Therefore, Team Jones needs to arrive in Poland early so everything will not seem so rushed. With the media pressing for interviews, fans wanting autographs and other schedule meetings, I'm worried that RJ may not have much time to train once he lands in Poland. Plus it's a 6 hr time change from the US.
                But..... If RJ gets his time in to train and he's all rested up, he will pull off the W. I look forward to Jones vs Wlodarczyk for the Cruiserweight Title. If Jones does manage to win, he will be high on the food chain with Tarver, Lebedev and maybe even BHop licking their chops, wanting another shot at "Superman" Jones. But the results will be different this go around with Jones winning by decision against them all.
                Last edited by jray100k; 07-04-2012, 12:52 PM.

Comment

I was one of Jones biggest fans, met him more than once, defended him on messages boards for a decade. But he complained of neurological problems and then fought Lebedev. That is like having a major headache and deliberately slamming your head into a cement wall and then wanting more afterward!!!!! What the fuk???!!!

Comment

My Top Five Present

1. "Superman" Roy Jones Jr.
                    2. Floyd "Money" Mayweather
                    3. "Bad" Chad Dawson
                    4. Manny Pacquiao "Pacman"
                    5.Waldimir Klitschko "Dr. Steel Hammer"

My Top Five Past

1. "Sugar" Ray Leonard
                    2. "Marvelous" Marvin Hagler
                    3. "Iron" Mike
                    4. Lennox Lewis
                    5. Muhummad Ali

With Andre Ward coming in at number 6 (Present) and Thomas Hearns number 6 (Past)
                    Last edited by jray100k; 07-03-2012, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X