Collapse
No announcement yet.

Andre Ward vs Chad Dawson II @175 Who W? "I can't blame Scully, it's my fault"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The weight certainly played a big part, Chad was a corpse after 2 rounds. He started well, looked fast and sharp and then instantly to start the 3rd he was slow, his punch output simply stopped and his legs looked heavy. Then he got hit with a nice punch and couldn't recover the rest of the way...he showed every sign of a drained fighter.

At 175 it would indeed have been a much different fight, but maybe not now. A drained fighter taking that type of beating, he may not recover.

Comment

Originally posted by gmc_rfc_06 View Post
      The weight certainly played a big part, Chad was a corpse after 2 rounds. He started well, looked fast and sharp and then instantly to start the 3rd he was slow, his punch output simply stopped and his legs looked heavy. Then he got hit with a nice punch and couldn't recover the rest of the way...he showed every sign of a drained fighter.

At 175 it would indeed have been a much different fight, but maybe not now. A drained fighter taking that type of beating, he may not recover.
      GMC, VERy accurate post in my opinion...I agree with every line

Comment

Originally posted by Own3d View Post
        His trainer said he was struggling with the weight on this very forum. Of course they are going to say there isn't a problem leading up to the fight, they'd be idiots if they didn't.
        I did not say they should say anything about a problem making weight before the fight. What I am saying is that after his bad loss to Ward both Dawson and his trainer could overplay how much it hurt Dawson to make 168 to make it appear that he was beat by the scales and not by a better fighter. If you believe fighters and trainers never lie or exaggerate to make themselves look better then this would not be true. Only Dawson knows exactly how much making 168 hurt him. Ward may stay at 168 anyway. Ward says he has no problem making 168 and at age 30 he is not growing.

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
          I did not say they should say anything about a problem making weight before the fight. What I am saying is that after his bad loss to Ward both Dawson and his trainer could overplay how much it hurt Dawson to make 168 to make it appear that he was beat by the scales and not by a better fighter. If you believe fighters and trainers never lie or exaggerate to make themselves look better then this would not be true. Only Dawson knows exactly how much making 168 hurt him. Ward may stay at 168 anyway. Ward says he has no problem making 168 and at age 30 he is not growing.
          I heard Dawson was uncharacteristically knocked down in sparring shortly before the fight and that was one of the indicators that the weight loss was taking it's toll. Depleted punch resistance is one of the tell-tale signs of weight-draining.

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
            Things ALWAYS happen in the gym before fights, win or lose...everything afftects the fight either in a good or bad way. Revealing them after the fight is fine IMO. Im sure things happened to Dre, too, but he won so there was no inclination to volunteer it and no inquiries asking what went wrong to lead to a revealing statement, thats all...

Comment

Even at 175, I think Ward would clown Dawson. He's just on another level.

Comment

Originally posted by ddangerous View Post
                Not really, Ward is not some supreme boxer that no one can outbox, Dawson was doing well doing the first two rounds, after that he disintegrated like he usually does. The weight certainly played a factor, but his skills were eroding too. But talent wise he's up there with Ward when his head is on straight.

It really depends. If Dawson wins his next two or three fights, and looks good doing it, shows consistency and improvement, I would favor Dawson. But that's a BIG IF. He's going to have to get by Pascal first. And if Dawson doesn't look good in his next two or three fights, they are probably not going to fight again.
                Last edited by Boxingwizard; 02-03-2013, 04:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ddangerous View Post
                  not really there was a reason Ward didn't want to meet half way

Comment

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
                    not really there was a reason Ward didn't want to meet half way
                    If Dawson can get by Pascal, Tony Bellow, and the winner of Cloud/Hopkins. He would definitley be ready for Ward, but again that's a big IF.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxingwizard View Post
                      If Dawson can get by Pascal, Tony Bellow, and the winner of Cloud/Hopkins. He would definitley be ready for Ward, but again that's a big IF.
                      he should beat Pascal don't think he needs to rematch Hops he is already the ebst LHW in the world and is ready right now at 175 but its all mental with Dawson lets see how bounces back after this type of loss

Comment

Working...
                      X