Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Donaire vs. Mares: Full Contract Details Are Revealed

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Donaire's my boy but, shit, he's ducking Mares. Why though? You can't say he's afraid to lose the 0 because he already has a loss. Jeez man, these Top Rank fighters piss me off. They have no balls to say anything to Bob Arum.

Comment

• Donaire is a ***** he is afraid of mares for some reason mares has calling him put for a while now and mighty mouse is hiding under arums skirt.

Comment

• I'm no lawyer, but that looks like a contract to me, so I guess the question is who's afraid of who/what? If TR is trying to blow smoke then it's their fault. If Donut-Air is trying to do it, he needs to grow a set. I do think though, that Mares is a bit too tough for him. And we've seen recently how beat up Nonito has ended up in fighting tough guys. Either way though, I certainly hope this match takes place. It would be great for the sport.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zyzz View Post
          lol gotta love when top rank pr visits boxingscene
          Wouldn't I just love to be. No kidding, at one time I was trying to buy the IBA Headquarters training facility. It was for sale for a long time at a very tempting price about 3 years ago, during a terrific property collapse. I neglected to note who owned it and deleted the info. then afterwards decided to look into it. I'd read and seen pictures of (the whole property, interior, houses gym etc. boy-oh-boy) I emailed a well known writer on this site for the owner's name, he didn't reply, so I contacted another writer who lived in Las Vegas who replied but didn't know. I then came across him by researching the internet and started looking for a partner..... People who were interested hadn't enough money, and some had but hadn't enough interest in the boxing business. .......and my son wasn't keen-at the time (he later changed his mind when it was off the market). It was a real "pain-in-the-neck". So that was that.

I suppose that if I'd got it, I wouldn't have been able to run it well enough to make any money. I consoled myself with looking at the high crime rate....

Comment

• Originally posted by Rasheed Mexico View Post
            I'm Donaire's biggest haters on here, but choosing Rigo over Mares isn't a duck at all.

Rigo, stylistically, is a harder fight and actually Mares style plays right into what Donaire likes to do best which is counter punch.

Donaire took the harder fight....period.

FWIW, there is no way in hell Arum would ever let a company promote, and own the rights to one of his fighter's bouts. That makes no sense what so ever from a business stand point and with the GBP robberies, that offer sure sounds like a DLH vs Sturm/Casamayor vs Santa Cruz/ _____ one of the dozen of GBP robberies you can think of.
            yeah and judging of Top Rank fights is so impeccable

Comment

• Originally posted by mathed View Post
              Yeah, I mean GBP isn't going to offer TR an amount that is better for TR as opposed to GBP, it should at least be close to a 50/50 split. They just kind of focused on the 3 million number as if that would be what Donaire would make to fight Mares, this is very much not the case.

How much money would be made from the HBO revenue alone I wonder? How much would be made from souvenir sales? I know they mentioned something about the souvenirs in there but by the time it's all said and done, GBP could be making 10-15 million off of this fight, who knows how much. I mean if GBP saw fit to mention revenues up to a year after the fight takes place that must mean that they will likely be making a substantial amount of money for the months immediately following the fight.

Arum is a greedy dude and why would he consider an offer like that when he could just have 2 of his own guys fight and reap all the profits? Arum would be seeing like 400K or around there by the time it's all said and done. You have $3M with taxes getting taken out so you are looking at like $2.250M (assuming 25%) before TR even gets their hands on it. Say $1M or more goes to Donaire and Arum is left with $1.250M. After he deducts his investment throughout the process (not sure about all those details but I can imagine there are tons of taxes, filing fees, doctor fees, etc. that have to be paid) he will be left with no more than 500 best case.

$12,000,000 $500,000........doesn't take a genius to see that.
              You hit the nail on the head. Oscar and Schaefer know just as well as Arum how much money this fight would take in. Just consider....I've read Arum saying many times that it takes about a year before all the streams of income arrive from around the globe so he can only make a calculated guess at the total. And looking at this contract, and seeing the dozens of companies and networks whose custom would be contracted to Schaefer, who would then to sell it on to others, and be waiting themselves for their money to come in, it must generate hundreds and hundreds of streams, a staggering flow of money. If the supporting bouts are reaonably good, it could bring in #20-25 mill. If a Pacquiao or Mayweather fight can raise $140-150 mill plus. Then the most wanted Donaire fight would surely do $20 mill, probably more. Don't forget, apart from the 4-5 different taxes from the local $7 a seat tax all the way to IRS so the tax bite total must be more than anyone else would get. The PPV Operators take a minimum of 50% of the PPV. What Schaefer and Arum are scrambling for is over and above all these expenses, so they must figure that it will generate a bonanza for the weight class.

Also, if Top Rank do much better for Donaire than a share of $3 mill, they will only enhance their reputation for getting their fighters the best paydays.They have a contractual obligation there too.
              Last edited by edgarg; 01-30-2013, 02:06 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

• EdgarG I'm pretty sure if my memory isn't wrong I've seen you as a Bob arum apologist since I've been on this forum.

You make some good points in your posts in this thread and I don't disagree with much of what you have written, but you do come across as a Top Rank company guy even though you may not be

Comment

• Originally posted by edgarg View Post
                  You hit the nail on the head. Oscar and Schaefer know just as well as Arum how much money this fight would take in. Just consider....I've read Arum saying many times that it takes about a year before all the streams of income arrive from around the globe so he can only make a calculated guess at the total. And looking at this contract, and seeing the dozens of companies and networks whose custom would be contracted to Schaefer, who would then to sell it on to others, and be waiting themselves for their money to come in, it must generate hundreds and hundreds of streams, a staggering flow of money. If the supporting bouts are reaonably good, it could bring in #20-25 mill. If a Pacquiao or Mayweather fight can raise $140-150 mill plus. Then the most wanted Donaire fight would surely do $20 mill, probably more. Don't forget, apart from the 4-5 different taxes from the local $7 a seat tax all the way to IRS so the tax bite total must be more than anyone else would get. The PPV Operators take a minimum of 50% of the PPV. What Schaefer and Arum are scrambling for is over and above all these expenses, so they must figure that it will generate a bonanza for the weight class.

Also, if Top Rank do much better for Donaire than a share of $3 mill, they will only enhance their reputation for getting their fighters the best paydays.They have a contractual obligation there too.

is bob arum immortal?

Comment

• Originally posted by chav View Post
                    EdgarG I'm pretty sure if my memory isn't wrong I've seen you as a Bob arum apologist since I've been on this forum.

You make some good points in your posts in this thread and I don't disagree with much of what you have written, but you do come across as a Top Rank company guy even though you may not be
                    That's a joke although I wish it was reality. No I'm not a Top Rank guy, although, to many
                    (I don't mean you) it might seem so. But I see so much obscene garbage dumped on this site that for a while, I was going to quit. I was talked out of it by a "site-friend" to whom I'd gifted all my points, who sent them straight back etc. The large majority of the garbage is dumped on Arum, and although he may deserve some, he doesn't deserve the huge manure load. He does a lot for boxing, has made the greatest fights, and has handled some of the best of all time greats not one of whom has ever had anything but good to say about him. And his charity and philantrophy are undeniable. These things, to me, are a better indication of how he conducts himself, he's a mensch. I don't have to know him to know that.And the fact that it's all so one-sided would make me automatically on his side, even if I hated him. Sportsmanship the way it used to be.

But, the boxing business is...business. Contract haggling, differences, feuds between promoters and annoying matchmaking, all spice up the keenness of the fans and is part of the business, the way the fighters themselves talk and shove each other around on camera, the way the all-in wrestlers used to swear murder against rivals and then "accidentally" lose to them in the ring. Then they'd beat the guy the next week and show a new hold that they'd both beem practicing in the gym together.......All business to keep the fans' hopping. And you just have to read these pages to know that it works. Arum and Schaefer could easily meet at functions 3-4-6 times a month and be on good personal terms.

The fact is, that if I met someone at a fight, who had been slanging me like hell on this site, we'd both probably go out to have a happy drink together.You see I remember that when I was a kid, I was just like them, hotheaded and loud-mouthed, (although didn't use bad language) but I grew up.

I think that's all for me tonight.
                    Last edited by edgarg; 01-30-2013, 02:49 AM. Reason: small addition

Comment

• Originally posted by Sir Richardson View Post
                      is bob arum immortal?
                      He may be going to have himself cryonically preserved and return to us in a couple of hundred years rejuvenated. If he could do that, then he could keep doing it, therefore be immortal...... The father-founder of cryonics Robert Ettinger wrote a very interesting book called "The Prospect of Immortality". I picked up the book in a store bin and began a long exchange of letters with him, and also with his secretary, (who became much later his 2nd wife). This was all before Al Gore invented the internet... Really fascinatng. You should look into it.

Comment

Working...
                      X