Collapse
No announcement yet.

Manny Pacquiao needs to develop a new signature punch

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I dont think its cutting the ring off per se that was his problem.

His problem was/is closing the distance against fighters who didnt come to him. He would leave his feet behind as he pumped the jab then throw his straight left off balance (but with great accuracy, power and speed mind). He's able to get away with it more than most because he is an incredible athlete, but against those who could stand off him and werent so scared of being hit that they could time him when he was off balance (note: only one person has really been able to do that) he's really looked bad.

Against Marquez he never needed to 'cut the ring off'because Marquez wasnt running. He was standing off him, which is different.

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor_Tenma View Post
      While Pacquiao would be susceptible on the inside as well, it beats the heck out of lunging in off balance and getting clipped with counter right hands. He doesn't necessarily have to stay in but mix it up a bit, I've seen him throw short compact punches during the mitt sessions with Roach, again he has the technique and physical tools to pull it off. Granted he has widened his arsenal up a bit but now that he's slowed some...looking for the straight left hand isn't gonna be as effective anymore, time to go in, smother a bit and work at close quarters. I think he will inevitably improve as he continues to slow.
      Depends on the opponent I think. He's a bit small to be trading on the inside at 147. Offensively he could be effective but I don't know if his defence is up to it. His defence was always in his legs.

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor_Tenma View Post
        You sound stubborn and ******ed right now, I guess you have no idea what your watching then. A much older Mosley who was never known for his boxing ability was able to move around him, an older Marquez at '47 kept turning him making him lunge, a beat down Cotto was still able keep a distance. If he had any ability to cut off the ring he would have handled those situations a lot better. As for the bold, it's a very important aspect of boxing, not everyone is gonna stand in front of you.
        mosley move around him by going backwards, marquez is simply marquez to manny. and i find it so funny that u actually brought cotto up because i was gonna use cotto as an example on my earlier post but figure i shouldnt since that fight was back in 09. in the pac/cotto fight pac actually showed he can cut the ring off and he did it numerous time even one of the commentator was saying about how cotto has nowhere to go because pac was cutting him off.
        and go watch the rios fight again i think i saw pac cut the ring off again numerous time. and no cutting the ring off is not very important, its something that u should do but u winning or losing doesnt depend on that.

Comment

Originally posted by Rapid Counter View Post
          Old dog, new tricks.... say no more.
          old dog? sure i give ya that but new tricks? nah. pacquiao has already used those punches many times before, it's just old habits die hard but that does mean it's impossible.

Comment

Working...
          X