Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ruddock/Morrison/Golota all looked as good as GGG does now prior to their downfall.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
    That's why his detractors are so vicious against him. He has yet to beat anyone as close to good as Monzon, but then he beats him head to head? He's yet to beat anyone as good as Peter Quillin, who is not that good, but he beats Monzon, who was great?

That's why Golovkin gets hate and is called overhyped and overrated. He literally is overrated. He's rated to highly without doing anything significant yet.
    GGG doesn't deserve the hate. It's the Pinhead fans who call him the best middleweight ever. I'm a GGG fan. I think he's much better than his detractors say. In fact I think he's the best middleweight since Hopkins.

He's far better than Kelly Pavlik, better than Sturm and I would (now) slightly favor him over both Jermain Taylor and Martinez. As I said I think he is far better than his detractors make him out to be. But all that being said doesn't put him in RJJ, Hagler, Monzon.

I would love to see him against a Minter or a McClellan. Both would be a perfect match-up of styles and skills. Then we would see how good GGG really is.

Comment

Originally posted by DoktorSleepless View Post
      Or like struggling against Kassim Ouma.
      I seem to recall him looking flat, but not being on the verge of landing flat on his face. You have the objectivity of the Iraqi Information Minster. Youtube has all of these fights watch them and come back and post on them.

Comment

Originally posted by JasonBoxing View Post
        I have a very very hard time thinking of top Heavyweights that can beat or are better than Lennox Lewis or Mike Tyson. You should do a list. Because it's almost impossible to list 10.

What happens after the Ali/Louis/Frazier/Foreman tier?
        You going to say the likes of Dempsey or Liston are greater than Lewis or Tyson? On what grounds?

Like I said........impossible to list 10.
        There's two ways to look at this - head to head and by resume. If we're going by resume then there is no way Tyson even approaches the TOP 10 and LL is barely there.

Head to head I think prime Tyson, with a Cus D'Amato and the team that was in his corner in 1986-87 would be trouble for everyone. Especially if they prepared for going the distance.

Head to head is further complicated by the way the rules were interpreted; by same day weigh-ins (doesn't apply to heavyweights); 15 round fights; different sized gloves (3oz for heavyweights in the 1890s and 6oz was common until the 1920s).

If you say Joe Louis is "obviously" better how do you account for Blackburn, Arcel and others saying that Jack Johnson was Joe Louis' equal (right up until after the second Schmelling fight).

Comment

Originally posted by JasonBoxing View Post
          Go back and look at the fights of Ruddock/Morrison/Golota prior to them fighting Tyson/Mercer/Lewis.. They were all were very talented big power punchers that was schooling everyone. Talent was real. Skills was there. The difference is that they faced two legit ATG'S and a legit Hall of Fame caliber fighter.

GGG isn't even as talented as Golota was but he will go down as the much greater fighter because there isn't a MW Lennox Lewis waiting for him. This is just the 'luck of an era'.......Sometimes you are known as a greater fighter than you should be due to your era. Sometimes you are known as lesser than you should be.

I'm not bashing GGG or Ruddock/Morrison/Golota. They all have superb talent. The difference is that the 3 90's heavyweights had to go against elite level fighters. I doubt GGG ever will. Unless he goes up against Ward that is. Even than, Ward isn't anywhere in the same ball park as a Tyson or Lewis.
          guess you missed Ruddock/jaco and morrsion/vaulen or golota/ p`ouha. they struggled and showed flaws in those fights. not saying ggg isn't untested but his fights have certainly gone smoother with less difficulty than the above mentioned guys. I think hes the goods and will prove it. we shall see

Comment

Working...
          X