No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Golden Boy's CEO on HBO's Decision To End Relationship

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Golden Boy's CEO on HBO's Decision To End Relationship

The boxing industry received a shockwave on Monday morning, when HBO Sports President Ken Hershman revealed that his company had made a decision to sever their ties with Golden Boy Promotions. HBO Sports is refusing to purchase any further fights from Golden Boy, and that includes WBC lightweight champion Adrien Broner who was heavily pushed by the network in the last twelve months.

Some industry experts were very surprised with the move, while others expected HBO take this position.

The tension between HBO and Golden Boy began in late 2011, when former Golden Boy attorney Steven Espinoza replaced Ken Hershman as the Vice President and General Manager of Showtime Sports. Soon after Espinoza's hire, Golden Boy started doing a voluminous amount of business with Showtime. Hershman is now the current President of HBO Sports.
    [Click Here To Read More]

i will summarize "here come the bum fights!"

Comment

Golden Boy is now being exposed as being the worst promoter in boxing, Bob Arum is not the guy he is just the easy guy to point a finger at.

Golden Boy is disgusting and have this monopoly agenda. Richard Shaeffer is sleazy, he and al haymon are killing the sport they are taking control of it.

All they do is point the finger at Arum so idiots believe Arum is the bad guy when in reality it was on Golden Boy to reach out to the old man, they backstabbed him twice already so you think he is going to forgive easily and do business with Oscar and Richard again?

Comment

What's with Golden Boy taking shots at Jessie Vargas? First De La Hoya in a recent article and now Scheafer. Damn, leave the kid alone. What the fuck did he do?
        Last edited by DoktorSleepless; 03-18-2013, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Come on now, I usually like Schaeffer's responses but I don't agree with him here playing victim. GBP was the one butthurt over the Canelo incident and they're the ones who started this whole thing. Seriously, you had Chavez Jr vs Martinez (one of the more anticipated fight for a couple of years) in one hand and Canelo vs Josesito ****ing Lopez in the other, who would you pick to show on a Mexican date? GBP slowly started migrating their fighters to Showtime and I think we all saw this coming so Idk why people are acting so surprised. The only people they had left fighting on HBO was pretty much Haymon fighters.

Comment

good for HBO. Hershman isn't buy crap anymore and that's what boxing needs.

people forget but it was Golden Boy who sank HBO boxing to a level of medoricity.

GBP bum fights volume 2 here we come

Comment

Bad move for the fans,I suggest everyone cancel their HBO subscription & just stream the fights they want or go to a bar cos until this gets sorted we are the ones who lose out the most.The fact is GBP do have most of the fighters I wanna see,Gonna be interesting to see how this plays out

Comment

Originally posted by DoktorSleepless View Post
                What's with Golden Boy taking shots at Jessie Vargas? First De La Hoya in a recent article and now Scheafer. Damn, leave the kid alone. What the fuck did he do?

That is because La Nueva Generacion is a garbage ass fighter...This past Saturday is living proof when he fought Lucky Boy.

Comment

Originally posted by hectari View Post
                  Golden Boy is now being exposed as being the worst promoter in boxing, Bob Arum is not the guy he is just the easy guy to point a finger at.

Golden Boy is disgusting and have this monopoly agenda. Richard Shaeffer is sleazy, he and al haymon are killing the sport they are taking control of it.

All they do is point the finger at Arum so idiots believe Arum is the bad guy when in reality it was on Golden Boy to reach out to the old man, they backstabbed him twice already so you think he is going to forgive easily and do business with Oscar and Richard again?
                  It's every promoters wish to have a monopoly, that's the way that business works. Arum won the battle between him and King and now GB is trying to push Arum out.

The bottom line is, a monopoly would be good for boxing, look what it's done for the UFC. Since promoters don't want to work with each other and in recent history it seems GB has been more willing to work with TR and been refused, can you blame them?

I want to see the best fights and if that means they are all coming from one stable, what do I care?

Comment

Originally posted by mjkirby View Post
                    Bad move for the fans,I suggest everyone cancel their HBO subscription & just stream the fights they want or go to a bar cos until this gets sorted we are the ones who lose out the most.The fact is GBP do have most of the fighters I wanna see,Gonna be interesting to see how this plays out
                    Game if Thrones is about to start, no way I'd do that.

Besides I have Comcast and on the west coast where i live, they don't air Showtime boxing live, its delayed three hours. Dumbest sht ever.

Comment

Working...
                    X