the man the myth the legend...Paul Williams at 147

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BennyST View Post
    What a bunch of bull****.

Where do you think Lewis and Bruno were from? Both absolutely huge fan bases. Huge.

Anthony Joshua? Only 6 fights and already all over commercial TV with a huge following.

Khan?

Benn?

Eubank?

The only one of these guys that had a similar charisma as Hatton was Bruno (and Eubank though in a different way), and he was easily as big of a crossover star if not significantly bigger in his time.
    UK fans support their fighters. You basically helped support my statement.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
      I said race & nationality can play a part in fights being made or not made sometimes. I also said Williams wasn't gonna outwhite Ricky Hatton if he was born in Rhode Island & wore LL Bean 24/7 or even if he was Mexican. Hatton was the better fight at the time. Hatton was the more proven fighter at the time. Historical Hatton will be seen as a better fighter. Thats the reality. Who's really in denial here.

Thing is those guys got the fight cuz there wasn't anyone around at the time who was the clear choice. So sure their nationality helped I'm sure cuz Mexicans watch boxing & buy PPV. I think Maidana is in the same boat, but he isn't Mexican so doesn't fit with your agenda. You'd be better served by bringing up Berto as an opponent as thats easily the most random opponent Mayweather has faced since becoming Mayweather & I'd even agree Paul Williams woulda made more sense back than then Berto does now, but again not Mexican either.
      Hatton was not a more proven welterweight than Paul Williams. Even if you thought he deserved the decision vs Collazo. And lol @ your Berto example. This is a throwaway fight.

Quit beating around the bush. Guerrero and Ortiz nationality got them the fights. And Margarito is better than Broner but that win did nothing for Williams career while Maidana got to sit in Argentina, go fishing, get fat and enjoy life from beating Broner.

Comment

• Sorry if somebody already asked this, but what do you guys think about the Canelo - Williams bout that was supposed to happen before his accident? I love both fighters, but I have no idea who would have won this. Maybe I would have picked Williams though

Comment

• Originally posted by Bushbaby View Post
          Thing is, The Punisher came up on showtime. He was a showtime built fighter like most were in those days. HBO took on the established guy. Granting irrelevance to everything hbo in your post. Which is just about everything you posted. Errol spence is a prospect, the Punisher was a champion, the comparison, lol, is redundant.
          LOL @ Williams being established when HBO grabbed him. I dug Paul as much as the next guy cuz he was fun as f#ck to watch, but some of ya'll rewriting his career to the most positive lean possible in every avenue.

Williams first fight on HBO was vs Lucas' brother iirc. Williams had done f#ck all previous to that fight. Beating Olympic dud Terrance Cauthen was his best win probably up til he got on HBO. Williams was a top prospect when HBO picked him up & thats when HBO often pick up a lot of guys when they are on the verge of title fights. Established guys have title fights already.

Paul was more a prospect or fringe contender til he won a title vs Margarito. I think Sadam Ali was a better example of a comparison to Paul cuz he could get a title fight tomorrow like Paul could've back then & did, but I can't imagine anyone suggesting he's being dodged today or that he's being dodged 5 months after he wins that title assuming he does.

I think its also notable that many boxing journalist thought Margarito deserved the W over Williams & then he lost his first defense so to act like Paul was Tysoning the division & had everyone scared is revisionist history at its best.

And the Punisher was always trying to fight at 147. He only fought at 154 and 160 to stay active. Like I said, if the other champions won't fight you, you still have to fight. He was a boxer by profession. Meaning he fought for money professionally. So naturally, if he couldn't get the other top welterweights to fight him, he had to fight someone. Those fights came at 154/160, not by his choice.
          We got a difference in philosophy with this stuff. For me if you aren't in a division you can't be getting ducked even if you allegedly can get down to that weight. You think differently so fair enough.

Comment

Working...
          X