Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cotto was 10 pounds lighter then he was against Floyd when he fought Martinez... yet

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was the A-Side Meth

Comment

Originally posted by Booty Dew View Post
      He didn't really gain weight though, he lost 10 pounds or so.. he was like 170 against Mayweather, this fight he was like 160-162 on fight night.

Looks like a body recomposition, a calorie deficit with high protein and weight lifting.

When Cotto came in heavy against Urkal he looked like Santa Claus by comparison to this image. Like the way Duran looked when he fought in heavier weight classes. Soft and doughy. In the Urkal fight he was slow and not as sharp as normal custom. This new incarnation of Cotto at virtually the same fighting weight (160) looks and moves like 5'8 version of the Incredible Hulk.

It wouldn't surprise me if he was heavier against Mayweather though I haven't seen that statistic.

Special diets and weightlifting? He's on the back end of his metabolism - like you were saying. The fact that he's gotten faster with his hands and his legs now appear spring loaded seem additionally befuddling. Also, his ability to physically manhandle Martinez and body him off were kind of scary to watch. His core strength was always very good. Now it's bordering on disturbing. If that was an MMA fight I'm pretty sure Cotto would have ended it in the first minute.

Comment

Originally posted by Rust Cohle View Post

Gotta give some credit to strength and conditioning coach Gavin MacMillan.

They also probably worked on the strength of Miguel's feet.

Originally posted by A-Wolf View Post
        When Cotto came in heavy against Urkal he looked like Santa Claus by comparison to this image. Like the way Duran looked when he fought in heavier weight classes. Soft and doughy. In the Urkal fight he was slow and not as sharp as normal custom. This new incarnation of Cotto at virtually the same fighting weight (160) looks and moves like 5'8 version of the Incredible Hulk.

It wouldn't surprise me if he was heavier against Mayweather though I haven't seen that statistic.

Special diets and weightlifting? He's on the back end of his metabolism - like you were saying. The fact that he's gotten faster with his hands and his legs now appear spring loaded seem additionally befuddling. Also, his ability to physically manhandle Martinez and body him off were kind of scary to watch. His core strength was always very good. Now it's bordering on disturbing. If that was an MMA fight I'm pretty sure Cotto would have ended it in the first minute.
        Second quote, refer to first quote. Gavin's approach is totally different from what most conditioning coaches do nowadays, and it pays off.

Comment

He seemed to have rehydrated differently. Rehydrations aren't static

Comment

Originally posted by Ya Boy NeXt View Post
            Second quote, refer to first quote. Gavin's approach is totally different from what most conditioning coaches do nowadays, and it pays off.
            I'm sure it helps. Whatever they're doing seems to have improved Cotto in every tangible category including the damaging power of his punches. What sort of exercises do you figure they did there?

Comment

Originally posted by A-Wolf View Post
              I'm sure it helps. Whatever they're doing seems to have improved Cotto in every tangible category including the damaging power of his punches. What sort of exercises do you figure they did there?
              Gavin uses a number of dynamic machines, most notably the Super Cat and the ISO, both of which work differently. I don't know too much about the complexities of each machine but I do know the ISO works in a way that the more pressure you use to move it, the more resistance it gives. The Super Cat is meant for explosiveness, I believe.

Here's a video on the strength work they do at Gavin's gym, Sport Science Lab, which he's now also applied to working with Cotto and Ruslan. Gavin talks in depth about the ISO in this video:

Here's a much longer presentation-style video on the SSL system as a whole, and Gavin goes into some details regarding strength again at 15:40, then closer to 19 minutes he begins describing the Super Cat and showing some clips:

Comment

Working...
              X