No announcement yet.

No more excuses for Cyborg

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nodogoshi View Post
    So all of these fighters are signed to the UFC now? I guess I must've missed the press releases.
    Look what just came out...

Wrestling Observer

10 women fighters under UFC contract

Right now there are ten women fighters under UFC contract, the obvious ones being Rousey, Miesha Tate, Sarah Kaufman, Sara McMann and Liz Carmouche. They are said to be close to a deal with Cris Cyborg to come in at 135 (all the women under contract will be only fighting at 135). Tito Ortiz is her manager and that could make things entertaining. Cyborg, if she signs, would likely go for the title in her first match. While this doesn’t always happen, the idea is that they try and give everyone under contract three fights, which means over the course of the year, about 15 women’s fights or maybe one every other show. It’s not just going to be Rousey defends and nothing else. It’s a full division, probably along the lines of the flyweights.

Comment

It will be sad if she's bullied into playing part of the UFC's smoke-and-mirrors money game and compromises for the 135 fight.
      "Cyborg needs to get on the boat. If she wants to fight in the UFC, she’ll have to fight this category of 135 pounds." -Dana White
      Convenient that the only opportunity to fight there is at a compromising weight. I guarantee you that if she looked like Gina, the only division in the UFC would be at 145.
      This is the same honest, upstanding Dana White that billed Philippe Nover as the "Next Anderson Silva" in order to promote the TUF 8 TV series (Nover went 0-3 in the UFC). The same White that lied and said "Fedor asked for 30mill" so that DW could make the UFC out to be the good guys in that negotiation because they were too cheap to pay him the amount that a T-shirt company was willing to. Who immediately said he would "make it up to fans" when Anderson Silva chickened his way through UFC 112, then never followed through. And, the same DW that regularly says his fighters are ducking or afraid if they refuse to take short-notice or nonsensical fights. A true man of integrity and he's got an infestation of UFC crabs (fans) clutching to his balls and believing every word.

Say what you will about Ortiz, but he is willing to compromise and make it happen, "To make it down to 135 pounds, it would be kind of health threatening, I think. But at the same time, I would love for the fight to happen. Let's meet in the middle."

Comment

Looks like Cyborg will have to live out the rest of her career crushing cans for pennies in Invicta or Bellator...

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
          It will be sad if she's bullied into playing part of the UFC's smoke-and-mirrors money game and compromises for the 135 fight.
          "Cyborg needs to get on the boat. If she wants to fight in the UFC, she’ll have to fight this category of 135 pounds." -Dana White
          Convenient that the only opportunity to fight there is at a compromising weight. I guarantee you that if she looked like Gina, the only division in the UFC would be at 145.
          This is the same honest, upstanding Dana White that billed Philippe Nover as the "Next Anderson Silva" in order to promote the TUF 8 TV series (Nover went 0-3 in the UFC). The same White that lied and said "Fedor asked for 30mill" so that DW could make the UFC out to be the good guys in that negotiation because they were too cheap to pay him the amount that a T-shirt company was willing to. Who immediately said he would "make it up to fans" when Anderson Silva chickened his way through UFC 112, then never followed through. And, the same DW that regularly says his fighters are ducking or afraid if they refuse to take short-notice or nonsensical fights. A true man of integrity and he's got an infestation of UFC crabs (fans) clutching to his balls and believing every word.

Say what you will about Ortiz, but he is willing to compromise and make it happen, "To make it down to 135 pounds, it would be kind of health threatening, I think. But at the same time, I would love for the fight to happen. Let's meet in the middle."
          Yeah exactly, Dana's a phony, which is why I wish better guys ran the UFC. Makes me sort of root for the UFC's demise, but not too much, because that could be bad for the sport, unless a better organization that's better run comes along.

Douchebag Dana is at it again. Why only one weight class for the women? Didn't Strikeforce have 2? So sign those women so not everyone has to fight at just 135. This makes me really root for the success of Bellator and Invicta over the UFC.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
            Yeah exactly, Dana's a phony, which is why I wish better guys ran the UFC. Makes me sort of root for the UFC's demise, but not too much, because that could be bad for the sport, unless a better organization that's better run comes along.

Douchebag Dana is at it again. Why only one weight class for the women? Didn't Strikeforce have 2? So sign those women so not everyone has to fight at just 135. This makes me really root for the success of Bellator and Invicta over the UFC.
            I love the sport, but hate the practices of the UFC. Guys like Dana White represent the certain classless fans that give MMA a bad name. It's embarrassing. Pride had a gladiatorial theme to it, and Strikeforce very much felt like a sport. But, the UFC can't shake this sleazy, white-trash street fight rep because those are the people running it. I thought the Fox contract would help but it only sterilized it of any personally (won't see anything like a Quinton Jackson interview on Fox) and made the matchmaking somehow worse. There is no passion in the company but they are large enough to keep control of the market. As a big combat sports fan and practitioner, I find it sad.

Comment

Dolce is the most overrated person in MMA today.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
                I love the sport, but hate the practices of the UFC. Guys like Dana White represent the certain classless fans that give MMA a bad name. It's embarrassing. Pride had a gladiatorial theme to it, and Strikeforce very much felt like a sport. But, the UFC can't shake this sleazy, white-trash street fight rep because those are the people running it. I thought the Fox contract would help but it only sterilized it of any personally (won't see anything like a Quinton Jackson interview on Fox) and made the matchmaking somehow worse. There is no passion in the company but they are large enough to keep control of the market. As a big combat sports fan and practitioner, I find it sad.
                Well said. Kind of reminds me of how WCW (or Jim Crockett Promotions) and AWA for a while were much more beloved and respected by hardcore wrestling fans for having the better "workers", yet WWE somehow outlasted them and won out. Same thing with the UFC, when they were competing with Pride and Strikeforce.

The ironic thing about the UFC's "sleazy, white trash street fight rep" is that that was supposed to end once the company was owned by White and Zuffa and once it became bigger. Guess that didn't work out too well.

Nice Benitez avatar. Sad what became of him.

Comment

Well said. Kind of reminds me of how WCW (or Jim Crockett Promotions) and AWA for a while were much more beloved and respected by hardcore wrestling fans for having the better "workers", yet WWE somehow outlasted them and won out. Same thing with the UFC, when they were competing with Pride and Strikeforce.

The ironic thing about the UFC's "sleazy, white trash street fight rep" is that that was supposed to end once the company was owned by White and Zuffa and once it became bigger. Guess that didn't work out too well.

That is not Wilfredo Benitez it's young Ken Norton

Nice post too BTW I remember those days of Wrestling

Comment

You've got a much less percentage of UFC fans who are white trash but yeah there is most def a share of them present. I grew up watching WcW (I had satellite which had TNT and whereas WWF showed on cable) but they signed their fighters to ridiculous contracts like Strikeforce did when they paid their fighters like 200K (BEFORE other bonuses and such) at a time where maybe UFC fighters were getting paid much less than that apart from the top dogs. They must have paid CRAZY money for Fedor, which made sense to a certain degree if Fedor continued to win but he lost in his second SF fight and they paid crazy money for him. Apparently some of the SF fighters have to take a pay cut when they come to the UFC that's how much strikeforce paid them initially. The UFC are pretty tight with their money in terms of base salaries but that's a big reason why they have survived for so long. Pride was a MUCH better promotion than the UFC but ultimately they lost the 'war' because they were mismanaged and led to links with the Yakuza which ended up destroying their TV deal which was their bread and butter income generator (as opposed to the US PPV model).

Honestly, for a fans perspective having one promotion have all the best fighters is GREAT. Makes for some great match ups BUT for the sports longevity and fighters it's not good at all. The owner of ONE FC said that the UFC is destroying the other fight promotions (just like the WWE did to all the regional promotions in the states) because they have the money to buyout anyone. One FC for e.g. can spend time and money building up someone and then in the blink of an eye the UFC could just come and take them away which would leave One FC one attraction emptier.

Look at what is happening now between Bellator, the UFC and Eddie Alvarez. Bellator is playing the game and does not want to lose Alvarez despite them saying he is free to go and Alvarez wanting to go to the UFC, they signed him to a 'we'll match the other offer' deal and they aren't REALLY matching it, if you include ALL of the potential income on the table but in terms of the wording probably put into the contract they probably are. It's just silly but the UFC is the place to be and any other place is a significant step down.

I don't like Bellator, I would like something like One FC/Road FC to be successful or World Series of Fighting to be a competitor because they seem to be run by nicer people, less sleazebags but at the end of the day all of these guys become so infused with making money that they become like that.

Comment

Originally posted by crillz View Post
                      That is not Wilfredo Benitez it's young Ken Norton

Nice post too BTW I remember those days of Wrestling
                      Oh yeah, Ken Norton, he was great too. I liked his 3 fights with Ali. The one with Holmes wasn't bad either. Thanks for clearing that up.

Comment

Working...
                      X