No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: De La Hoya: Mayweather-Canelo Plans in Near Future

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: De La Hoya: Mayweather-Canelo Plans in Near Future

The eventual showdown is quite an obvious possibility, but neither Saul Alvarez nor promoter Oscar De La Hoya wanted to talk much about it on a conference call Thursday.

Nevertheless, if Alvarez can overcome former three-division champion Shane Mosley on May 5 in Las Vegas, and undefeated Floyd Mayweather Jr. beats Miguel Cotto later that night at MGM Grand, Alvarez-Mayweather would be an intriguing fight for later this year or in the first half of 2013. [Click Here To Read More]

Will not buy

Comment

Only a good fight if Canelo beats a Top SWW (Cotto-Lara-Molina-Kirkland). Otherwise, it's a C+ fight. Hopefully Canelo gets matched with one of those 4 in September.

Comment

Originally posted by 4CornersKid View Post
        Only a good fight if Canelo beats a Top SWW (Cotto-Lara-Molina-Kirkland). Otherwise, it's a C+ fight. Hopefully Canelo gets matched with one of those 4 in September.
        Ehhh, Kirkland would be the easiest out of the bunch. I'd just leave it at the top three. I bet it'll be his Fall fight though, so I'm not holding my breath.

Comment

Originally posted by 4CornersKid View Post
          Once Bob/manny said no this year, you knew this would be the backup. Kudos to GBP and MP for building Canelo on his undercards in the anticipation of bob/manny pulling the same old crap.

I'd prefer Mayweather Martinez in Nov and floyd/manny in May then floyd/canelo May 2014

Comment

The 21-year-old Alvarez acknowledged he wants Mayweather, but he also understands he’ll have to be patient.

“Floyd is on the throne,” Alvarez said. “He can decide right now [who he wants to fight], because he is at the top. He’s, pound-for-pound, the best fighter in the world. And all we have to do is keep working hard, keep winning our fights and that is my goal, to fight the best fighter in the world. But, you know, one at a time.”
            I thought Alvarez had a contract to fight Mayweather next. What happened with that?

Comment

Originally posted by hougigo View Post
              Ehhh, Kirkland would be the easiest out of the bunch. I'd just leave it at the top three. I bet it'll be his Fall fight though, so I'm not holding my breath.
              Kirkland would be, depending on how much stock you put into the Molina fight. With Molina holding 118 times and Kirkland having a busted shoulder going in, and still on the verge of stopping Carlos in the 10th, even with Carlos holding the entire round, Kirkland is still a tough fight. I doubt Cotto will fight 4 months after losing to Floyd, so that name is off. I doubt anyone at 154 is really going to try and fight Lara, I hope that changes. So Molina and Kirkland are the only realistic options for Canelo in September. I'd be fine either either of those and they make a Floyd fight more legit. There's no one else, if Floyd fights again in December, for him to fight aside from someone like Canelo.

Canelo has to beat one of the Top SWW though, so hopefully that's who they match him with. Canelo would already be a more legit fight if GBP actually took the right approach with Canelo. He should have fought someone like Vanes, instead of M. Hatton, for his WBC title. The Ryan Rhodes fight was fine, he was a Top 10 SWW. Than, he should have fought someone like Bundrage or soemthing on the Floyd undercard, but I tolerated Alfonso Gomez I guess. I didn't really mind Cintron in November, because it was more of a stay busy fight down in Mexico. Than, instead of Shane Mosley, he should have fought Delvin Rodriguez in May.

Comment

the fight Kev has been waiting for

Comment

Originally posted by Big Dunn View Post
                  Once Bob/manny said no this year, you knew this would be the backup. Kudos to GBP and MP for building Canelo on his undercards in the anticipation of bob/manny pulling the same old crap.

I'd prefer Mayweather Martinez in Nov and floyd/manny in May then floyd/canelo May 2014
                  I think we'll get Mayweather-Alvarez in December (if Canelo beats a Top SWW in September), Mayweather-Khan in May/June 2013 (if Khan beats Peterson and a Top WW like Berto-Ortiz II winner), than I don't know.

Since Sergio is fighting Chavez/Lee in September, the earliest that could happen is May/June 2013. I hope Mayweather-Martinez happens then, but I wouldn't be upset with Mayweather-Khan, especially if Khan beats Peterson and someone like the Ortiz-Berto winner.

Floyd has good options left, more so than Manny at this point.

Comment

Put Canelo in there with Kirkland for an easy W (in my eyes) then make the Mayweather bout (more hype). If Canelo doesn't fix his D or head movement by then... EASY UD for Floyd.

Comment

Working...
                    X