What is your religion?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post
    Elaborate please...

As to the thread topic, I'm an agnostic who wants to believe in a mystical being but I have a skeptical/logical view on the natural world and universe.

The more and more I look at the physical world the more I think things are just a matter of chance and that everything is governed by scientific/ physical laws.

I want to believe and I had a strong faith at one point in my life, but now I need some solid proof. I need to see a miracle, something that science cannot explain...

I'm an agnostic too, if I had to put a label on myself.

The more I have researched theories of natural/physical laws, there's always huge gaps, and things that are not explained, nor close to being explained.

So many contradicting theories - some sceintists have evidence to debunk this, others that. . .

I'm not saying I do believe in an intelligent creator or something of the like, it's just that until I see more proof of EITHER - physical/natural chance, OR an intelligent creator. . I just don't know. . But it's just that the universe is so vast. . . Life on earth so intricate, balanced, and delicate. . . Life is just so good, and beautiful. . .

Yes, yes, I know people say "it's ******ed to assume there's a creator all because we can't explain everything." My response is this: "It's equally ******ed to assume there is not because you cannot COME CLOSE to explaining everything. . Nor come close to disproving there is some sort of intelligent design at work."

Comment

• Originally posted by UglyPug View Post

The more I have researched theories of natural/physical laws, there's always huge gaps, and things that are not explained, nor close to being explained.

So many contradicting theories - some sceintists have evidence to debunk this, others that. . .

I'm not saying I do believe in an intelligent creator or something of the like, it's just that until I see more proof of EITHER - physical/natural chance, OR an intelligent creator. . I just don't know. . But it's just that the universe is so vast. . . Life on earth so intricate, balanced, and delicate. . . Life is just so good, and beautiful. . .

Yes, yes, I know people say "it's ******ed to assume there's a creator all because we can't explain everything." My response is this: "It's equally ******ed to assume there is not because you cannot COME CLOSE to explaining everything. . Nor come close to disproving there is some sort of intelligent design at work."

You argument is similar to popular Christian apologist Dinesh D'Souza's. His argument (and I'm not gonna do him justice) is something to the affect of: conditions on earth are so exact and perfect to enable life that the odds of having all those right conditions and elements present in such a way, are so incredibly infinitely small that it unlikely that things happened by chance.

Here's the intelligent version:

Comment

• Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
        Atheism is a religion as much as not collecting baseball cards is a hobby

i don't collect baseball cards with the best of them.

Comment

• To those who are religious, what is the appeal in believing in a higher being?

Comment

• Originally posted by [ DUBBZZ ] View Post
            To those who are religious, what is the appeal in believing in a higher being?
            That there is some mystical watchdog keeping you safe, watching over you, blessing you, that there is some rhyme and reason to this existence..

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post
              You argument is similar to popular Christian apologist Dinesh D'Souza's. His argument (and I'm not gonna do him justice) is something to the affect of: conditions on earth are so exact and perfect to enable life that the odds of having all those right conditions and elements present in such a way, are so incredibly infinitely small that it unlikely that things happened by chance.

Here's the intelligent version:

Somewhat like that, I suppose.

I've just become more open to believing there is an intelligent creator of some sort. I still don't, though.

I don't even necessarily believe he it might be "god like," or have powers of the such. I simply don't know. . .

And when you don't know something, the worst thing you can do is shut off yourself to possibilities.

Only a fool would argue they "know" this is how **** went down. . . I argue that I don't know, but I see strong arguments for both intelligent design, and some sort of pure random "big bang" like event.

Comment

• Originally posted by UglyPug View Post

The problem is life is not as delicate as you make it out to be. To believe that something or someone created all life, is a huge leap in faith. The other is just what we know and that's it.

There are huge gaps, because we don't know everything. There will always be gaps but that doesn't mean science is wrong.

I think at the end of the day, you either are a man of faith. That believes in something you can't see, hear, smell, touch and taste. Or someone who is more logical.

Comment

• Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
                  Atheism is a religion as much as not collecting baseball cards is a hobby
                  First define religion and then prove evolution to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShaunRoberts View Post
                    First define religion and then prove evolution to me.
                    Evolution is a fact, the theory is how it works.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
                      The problem is life is not as delicate as you make it out to be. To believe that something or someone created all life, is a huge leap in faith. The other is just what we know and that's it.

There are huge gaps, because we don't know everything. There will always be gaps but that doesn't mean science is wrong.

I think at the end of the day, you either are a man of faith. That believes in something you can't see, hear, smell, touch and taste. Or someone who is more logical.

I am very logical - I don't claim to know. . . So therefor I remain open to all possibilities. I think that's the only logical way to approach the question - to acknowledge there are possibilities; ENDLESS possibilities.

I acknowledged that it's foolish to assume there is a creator because we don't know everything; however, the counter argument, which holds just as much weight, is that it's equally foolish to assume there is not one.

Comment

Working...
                      X