No announcement yet.

Weight Training For Boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weight Training For Boxing

Does any one have suggestions for doing weights to help with boxing.

I do weight training for about two and a half hours once a week after a run. I use weights to tone up and help with fitness as iam happy at my weight, and im not fussed about getting bigger.

I used to do reps of twenty (I have a bench, bar and dumbells at home), but recently started doing 10-15, depending on the muscle I was working.

I found I am alot more fluid on the bag and shadow doing higher reps.

Shoud I do 30 reps, or 40? Just do two sets, or go up to for?

Its an area ive never really had much guidance, so any advice would be great.

cheers

Fatbatmanstan

if u dont wanna lose speed do more than 12 reps of whatever excersise ur doing

Comment

Originally posted by Evil_Meat View Post
      if u dont wanna lose speed do more than 12 reps of whatever excersise ur doing
      Bull****. Don't listen to this guy - he obviously doesn't know what he is talking about. You won't lose speed unless your putting mass onto your body which you're obviously not doing. If you lift weights explosively, do plyometrics, and follow a structured plan then you will only improve your speed and power. All this nonsense about how speed and power are born is bull****. True, it has alot to do with your genetic make up but you can train it and improve it very far, much more then people give credit. Follow a plan by someone who has studied the topic vigorously or you might just end up following some dufus who has no idea what he's talking about (Evil_Meat).
      www.rosstraining.com and www.rossboxing.com is a site dedicated to the matter. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by kryo View Post
        Bull****. Don't listen to this guy - he obviously doesn't know what he is talking about. You won't lose speed unless your putting mass onto your body which you're obviously not doing. If you lift weights explosively, do plyometrics, and follow a structured plan then you will only improve your speed and power. All this nonsense about how speed and power are born is bull****. True, it has alot to do with your genetic make up but you can train it and improve it very far, much more then people give credit. Follow a plan by someone who has studied the topic vigorously or you might just end up following some dufus who has no idea what he's talking about (Evil_Meat).
        www.rosstraining.com and www.rossboxing.com is a site dedicated to the matter. Good luck!
        wtf are u talkin about, all im saying is don't do heavy lifts where u can only do a few reps, keep the number of reps higher and u wont put on much mass at all. Low reps high weight=mass. My trainer told me to lift 12 reps or more to avoid slowing down. Who the **** are you? You don't know **** as well, and i dont know much which is why a gave a very basic response. God, id love to slap u around in the ring

Comment

Originally posted by Evil_Meat View Post
          wtf are u talkin about, all im saying is don't do heavy lifts where u can only do a few reps, keep the number of reps higher and u wont put on much mass at all. Low reps high weight=mass. My trainer told me to lift 12 reps or more to avoid slowing down. Who the **** are you? You don't know **** as well, and i dont know much which is why a gave a very basic response. God, id love to slap u around in the ring
          Look through this forum a few times. I think it's safe to say that it's been established that the basic premises of what you're saying are WRONG. You admit you don't know much. Therefore you are in no position to judge whether your trainer truly knows what HE'S talking about or not. And in this case, he doesn't.

Low reps (>6)/high weight = STRENGTH (which gives you a higher potential for RFD)

medium reps(6-12)/medium weight = mass

High reps(12<)/low weight = endurance

Want to get smarter? Go read on the subject. Once you've read this link:

http://jap.physiology.org/cgi/reprint/93/4/1318.pdf

AND understood what it says, come back in here and tell us what you think, because right now you're not qualified to say **** on this subject.
          Last edited by PunchDrunk; 12-22-2006, 06:27 PM. Reason: put in the number of reps

Comment

Seriously, this subject's been beat to death in here. Look through the old threads and read a little before starting the argument all over again.

The funny thing is, if you notice, that every time this subject comes up, it's basically me (sometimes kingdosia and bigdozer participate) on one side, yet always someone new on the other. That someone is always someone who knows nothing about physiology, training theory, or weights, and I generally wipe the floor with them. Once they've learned the lesson, I have to start the argument all over with someone else with NO theoretical knowledge and next to no practical experience.

Hmm, that sounded a little cocky, but hey, I back it up. Frankly, I'm sick of having to start all over every week,so just read some of the old threads before you post, okay?

Comment

Keep it in the ring boys. Lets be friendly. Tsk

Thanks alot fellas, and thanks for the links. I will check them out.

Sorry should probably done a search first, as theres obviously loads of stuff here, Im just lame.

Thanks ever so much again.

Have a Good Christmas

Fatbatmanstan

Comment

Originally posted by PunchDrunk View Post
                Seriously, this subject's been beat to death in here. Look through the old threads and read a little before starting the argument all over again.

The funny thing is, if you notice, that every time this subject comes up, it's basically me (sometimes kingdosia and bigdozer participate) on one side, yet always someone new on the other. That someone is always someone who knows nothing about physiology, training theory, or weights, and I generally wipe the floor with them. Once they've learned the lesson, I have to start the argument all over with someone else with NO theoretical knowledge and next to no practical experience.

Hmm, that sounded a little cocky, but hey, I back it up. Frankly, I'm sick of having to start all over every week,so just read some of the old threads before you post, okay?

Lol, thanks for going into more depth then what I did.. I guess Evil_Meat just isn't as good as he thought he was at online boxing.

Comment

calling the guy a dufus is a littlwe harsh, untill very recently that was the way it was done

IMO mixing some heavy sets with lighter 'speed' yields the best results

Comment

Lol, thanks for going into more depth then what I did.. I guess Evil_Meat just isn't as good as he thought he was at online boxing.
                    lol whats your problem, this **** wasnt found out until recently... and obviously my trainer isnt a computer guy and doesent get the chance to read scientific studies on the subject, and i am a real boxer btw, im fighting feb 2 and 3rd and will post vids of both fights

Comment

Working...
                    X