Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FIGHTERS HEART...are you born with it or can you attain it??? (POLL)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FIGHTERS HEART...are you born with it or can you attain it??? (POLL)

what do you guys think?

Can you train yourself to have more heart? Or is this something you are born with?

Anyone got any examples?

I think I have acquired more heart since the first time I sparred...I done this by pushing myself and gritting my teeth while taking a beating...when I get that feeling to quit I think 'its supposed to feel like this' and make it feel 'normal' as I think that its when you are uncomfortable with that 'near death' feeling that you quit..
    You are born with it!
    34.48%
    You can acquire it!
    65.52%

A man can gain heart and lose heart.

Cowards can become heros and heros can become cowards. Wimps into winners and winners into wimps.

Boxers are human beings, not machines......and can be subject to all sorts of pressures.

These aren't Cus D'Amato quotes!!!!! Ha ha

There are plenty examples in history of fighters branded as quitters demonstrating tremendous heart in future bouts. But sadly there are also fighters who were real warriors who quit in bouts that were not going their way.

The first examples to jump to mind are the following

Nigel Benn was an amazing warrior, biggest heart in the world. Showed this in many a fight, but non more than against Gerald McClellan in 1995. You could believe he'd give his life in the heat of battle. However, in 1996 he tamely retired on his stool in the return against Steve Collins.

In contrast Cruiserweight Johnny Nelson was labelled as someone who blew his chances in big fights by not committing, running, holding and not throwing punches. Basically fighting like a wet lettuce. But he more than gained respect closing out his career as cruiserweight champion.

In short, you can gain heart with your own desire to perform or win. But it can be lost too.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post

Cowards can become heros and heros can become cowards. Wimps into winners and winners into wimps.

Boxers are human beings, not machines......and can be subject to all sorts of pressures.

There are plenty examples in history of fighters branded as quitters demonstrating tremendous heart in future bouts. But sadly there are also fighters who were real warriors who quit in bouts that were not going their way.

Nigel Benn was an amazing warrior, biggest heart in the world. Showed this in many a fight, but non more than against Gerald McClellan in 1995. You could believe he'd give his life in the heat of battle. However, in 1996 he tamely retired on his stool in the return against Steve Collins.

In contrast Cruiserweight Johnny Nelson was labelled as someone who blew his chances in big fights by not committing, running, holding and not throwing punches. Basically fighting like a wet lettuce. But he more than gained respect closing out his career as cruiserweight champion.

In short, you can gain heart with your own desire to perform or win. But it can be lost too.
      gd response bro, green K

Comment

Originally posted by J.Dempsey View Post
        gd response bro, green K
        Cheers bud

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post

Great post. Green from me also

Comment

Originally posted by BulgariasFinest View Post
            Great post. Green from me also
            Some real Gents in the training section today. Cheers

Comment

what sugarj said is correct, kind of reminds me when ortiz quit against maidana then when he fought berto he had that look in his eye saying no matter what you throw at me i am not backing down and he kept getting up after being knocked down.

Comment

Originally posted by jamiegeorge91 View Post
                what sugarj said is correct, kind of reminds me when ortiz quit against maidana then when he fought berto he had that look in his eye saying no matter what you throw at me i am not backing down and he kept getting up after being knocked down.
                Funnily enough I was going to use the Ortiz example.

God only knows what sort of heart he'll show in future bouts after the Mayweather debacle.

Comment

you can no doubt gain or lose heart. its mental more than anything, confidence and determination can be won or lost. and tougness can be both gained by experience or faded with time.

Comment

Working...
                  X