Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canelo: The young prodigy

Canelo: The Young Prodigy
    by Cuauhtemoc1502

It was about 9:30 and I'm waiting for my first friend to come over so we can watch the fight like we always do on a Saturday night like this one. I didn't know much about Ryan Rhodes leading up to this fight but I did my research. It's hard to judge a young fighter like Canelo when he goes up against fighters that aren't well known here in the States. I realized Rhodes is a tough guy, good record and lot's of experience. He wasn't a blown up welter, he was a lagit middleweight who can bang and take a shot.

I thought to myself that this would be a tough test for Canelo, much tougher than his previous opponents of blown up welterweights or washed up former champs like Baldomir. This was a "live" opponent as they say in the boxing business.

Needless to say I was impressed from the opening bell, not because of the aggression that Canelo showed but his restraint. He came out and didn't jump on Rhodes, he waited patiently and showed much more respect for his power than he did for Mathew Hattons. One of the biggest knocks against Canelo was his lack of head movement and defense but I have to say, he showed a lot of improvement from just one fight to the next.

He moved his head well, caught a lot of punches on the gloves and countered very nicely, especially to the body. To improve that much from just one fight ago is really impressive. The kid has been refining his craft in that sweaty gym in Jalisco for sure.

Canelo basically dominated the fight, even more so than the Hatton fight which I thought couldn't be done. He was more accurate, wasn't getting hit and breaking him down slowly to the body. He also wasn't rushed, he is only 20 but fights like a guy 10 years older. I really couldn't find one round to give to Rhodes, even the 10th and 11th which Canelo decided to take off.

As the fight neared it's end, you could see Rhodes was ready to go. The body work was getting to him, he had been hurt to the head and after taking rounds 10 and 11 off, you knew the young red headed Mexican would come out to give the 13,000 plus what they wanted, a knock out.

He did just that, came out giving his all and Rhodes folded like a napkin at dinner time. After the fight, Rhodes was very humble and gracious in his defeat, really liked the guy and we need more fighters like him in what used to be a gentleman's sport.

I know what the critics will say, that Canelo is wearing that green belt not out of his own merit but because of Suleiman and his being pushed forward because he's a cash cow. While there is merit to that argument, you also can't deny the kids talent, especially understanding he's only 20 years old.

Any fighter would have taken the opportunities Canelo has taken, for that you can't fault him. You can criticize the WBC and Suleiman especially, we all have that right but as far as Canelo, he is passing every test that is put in front of him.

I know it's been said a million times but he is ONLY 20 years old and that is scary. What's more impressive than anything physical about him is, his intelligence and patience in the ring, that is something that is normally learned by years of fighting, yet Canelo seems to have that already as part of his repertoire.

Hate him or love him, he's well ahead of the learning curve at this stage of his career and with that personality, red hair and golden smile, I don't know how you CAN hate the kid.

now days any idiot thinks is a writer..

Comment

Originally posted by Hewito View Post
      At the very least you could have written that 1 sentence without any mistakes

I'm looking forward to see how Canelo's future shapes up.

Comment

Ryan Rhodes is featherfisted

When will Saul Alvarez step up and fight Paul Williams or Sergio Martinez?

Good article though.

Comment

Canelo is the real deal.

Comment

Oh **** how ironic. Lmao.

Comment

There was never anything wrong with his defense. Hatton couldn't hurt him so Canelo did what your supposed to do and walk through him

Comment

Canelo JUST turned 20 years old, has got to be one of the youngest champs ever. Please let him get stronger and older before taking on veteran and FULLY grown fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by GoogleMe View Post
                  Canelo JUST turned 20 years old, has got to be one of the youngest champs ever. Please let him get stronger and older before taking on veteran and FULLY grown fighters.
                  He has 38 pro fights. He already has more experience than Sugar Ray Leonard had in his whole career. Doesn't matter who they fought pro is pro, and Canelo has 38 pro fights. Alvarez is one of the most experienced top 10 JMW's right now.

If Miguel Cotto wants a fight with Alvarez, he'll have to get a few more fights to catch up to Alvarez's 38 pro fights.

Paul Williams and Antonio Margarito are good candidates.

Comment

I would say something back but this is self destruction right there, I almost spit out my water.

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
                    He has 38 pro fights. He already has more experience than Sugar Ray Leonard had in his whole career. Doesn't matter who they fought pro is pro, and Canelo has 38 pro fights. Alvarez is one of the most experienced top 10 JMW's right now.

If Miguel Cotto wants a fight with Alvarez, he'll have to get a few more fights to catch up to Alvarez's 38 pro fights.

Paul Williams and Antonio Margarito are good candidates.
                    Yea I agree, I mean there's a reason people are so high on this kid. I'm not saying he's a great fighter but the calm he shows is something that can't be taught. When he fights it's looks like he's 15 years in the game, seriously. That is what most impresses me.

They are really schooling this kid very well in Mexico. His trainers are doing a phenomenal job and his improvement from fight to fight is impressive.

I do think there was something wrong with his defense because even looking at the Cotto fight, you could see he wasn't moving his head at all. Then he fights Rhodes, a good puncher and he was constantly moving his head and keeping his back off the ropes.

Comment

Working...
                    X