Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Argentine boxing chief laughs off riot

Argentine boxing chief laughs off riot
    By Abac Cordero (The Philippine Star) Updated February 15, 2012 12:00 AM

MANILA, Philippines - To the president of the Argentine Boxing Commission, the riot that took place last Saturday at Mar Del Plata in Argentina was just fine.

Johnriel Casimero scored a 10th round knockout of Argentine Alberto Lazarte in their battle for the vacant IBF light-flyweight crown.

But Argentine fans did not take it sitting down and threw all kinds of debris at the Filipino boxer, his promoter Sammy Gello-ani and trainer Pingping Tepora.

A few of them managed to get inside the ring, and attacked the three Filipinos, who suffered minor bruises. It took authorities more than 10 minutes to restore order.

When the smoke cleared, more than a dozen chairs were in the ring.

Osvaldo Bisbal, the president of the Argentine Boxing Commission, said there’s no one to punish for the incident as he laughed off possible sanctions against his commission.

“There is no one to punish. Everything was fine,” he was quoted by Argentine daily El Clarin as saying.

“According to what I saw, I can’t find anyone to punish. Who you want to punish? The boxer? The promoter? They complied with everything. The Once Unidos Stadium had nothing to do with it. There is no one to punish,” he said.

dumb promotion. if they dont find at least any fall guy, who would want to fight there? argentina vs argentina? hope these fans kill each others when their fellow argentine beats the boxer of his same country.

Comment

he saying its fine because nobody got killed??

too bad they are showing its not worth for any fighter to go to Argentina...

Comment

This whole thing is just pathetic.

Comment

That riot, over that, would not happen in PR.

However, if it happened, I'll bet this would be the response we would get.

Comment

just don't fight in Argentina anymore...

Comment

I couldnt help but notice the police being fukn useless, but whats new across the world.

Although i kinda agree with him, he seems to have a smug attitude about it.

Comment

oh man......

Comment

he's getting praise probably from his people for not allowing argentina to be bullied by the commission, but im pretty sure he wont have any more international fighters coming over.

Comment

Working...
                  X