No announcement yet.

If Rumble In The Jungle Happened In A Cage

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kinetic Linking View Post
    now you guys are pushing it. You can argue with the nature of the hypothetical situation, even though I think it's a reasonable one, but to disagree with the conclusion?

Ali used the ROPES to win that fight. Without the ability to diffuse Foreman's power by leaning against the ropes, Ali loses that fight every time. That's why they called it Rope a Dope. No ropes in a phone booth, no ropes in a cage, no ropes on a football field. And yeah, I think Foreman would win on the football field as well. Ali simply couldn't outmaneuver him for long enough. Without a place to hide, he was done.
    Using the ropes is legitimate boxing strategy. Go read a book.

Comment

Comment

Great A, simple phenomenon that I'm surprised you aren't aware of. If you stand planted on your feet and absorb a blow, you take most of the force. If you lean against elastic ropes, the difference is massive. You don't pick it up easily just watching the fight, but if you think about it and/or experiment you'll understand what's going on.

Comment

And captain sam, I never suggested it wasn't a legitimate strategy. What I said was that if they fight in a cage, Foreman wins. You go read a book. And go screw yourself.

Comment

Great A, simple phenomenon that I'm surprised you aren't aware of. If you stand planted on your feet and absorb a blow, you take most of the force. If you lean against elastic ropes, the difference is massive. You don't pick it up easily just watching the fight, but if you think about it and/or experiment you'll understand what's going on.
            Frazier and Norton made Ali pay for his habit of laying on the ropes. Neither of them may have been able to beat Foreman, because in a straight-up brawl the one with the bigger punch and the better chin usually wins, but they used their abilities much better than Foreman.

The ropes did not lose the fight for Foreman, his atrocious punching technique and lack of ring intelligence did.

Look at Frazier pick his shots at around 2:30 in the video:

If Foreman had been able to land those kind of punches, he would have probably won.

Comment

Boxing isn't fought in a cage. Low-brow MMA is fought in a cage. There's a BIG difference between the Sweet Science and crude MMA ****e.

Poet

Comment

western boxing is one of many disciplines employed by Mixed Martial Artists who fight in a cage.

Non poet

Comment

western boxing is one of many disciplines employed by Mixed Martial Artists who fight in a cage.

Non poet
                  Along with a whole bunch of other crap no self-respecting boxer would do. I'd rather watch underwater basket weaving then MMA garbage. But hey, I guess SOME people must actually LIKE watching two grown men fondle each other while they roll around on the floor.

Poet

Comment

Non poet
                    I'm starting to think you're a violence freak who only tunes into boxing to see someone get KTFO.

Poet

Comment

hahaaa poet's legit insane. Boxing is violence, don't pretend it isn't. The most violent fighters (dempsey and tyson) have always drawn the biggests crowds. It's a beautiful sport but don't pretend the beauty is exclusive of the violence. If you think it is, I suggest you actually take yourself up on that underwater basketweaving idea.

Comment

Working...
                      X