Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ref topic: Have Smoger or Bayless ever had an off night that you can remember?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ref topic: Have Smoger or Bayless ever had an off night that you can remember?

When have you watched one of the fights these two refs have reffed and thought they did a bad job? I can't think of any, these two are like the best in the business. They take each fight seriously as hell. Sucks more refs aren't as great as the two, because there's no way they can ref every fight because they'd be overworked.

Bayless is great. He messed up the knockdown call in Pacquiao vs Mosley, and apoligized and said he made a mistake. Other than that I can't remember him having an off night. That was just one wrong call.

Comment

Originally posted by Rip Chudd View Post
      Bayless is great. He messed up the knockdown call in Pacquiao vs Mosley, and apoligized and said he made a mistake. Other than that I can't remember him having an off night. That was just one wrong call.
      That's not really that bad, it didn't really affect the outcome of the fight. And we know refs are humans and will make mistakes. Joe Cortez used to be a really good ref at one time, but I think he might be getting a bit too old. I don't know if he is older than smoger or bayless but he makes quite a few mistakes.

I'd like it if Cortez let more inside fighting happen. I notice he listens too much to trainers claiming fighters get dirty in the inside but thats part of the game sometimes. If you don't let fighters do their best work in the inside it takes a big aspect of their game away in my opinion.

Comment

I remember some people thinking Pacquaio-Cotto could have been stopped a bit sooner.

Comment

Originally posted by britton View Post
          I remember some people thinking Pacquaio-Cotto could have been stopped a bit sooner.
          But thats one of the reasons I like refs like Smoger and Bayless. They give the fighter every opportunity to win their fights. If the boxer wants a softer ref who will stop it sooner than they must go elsewhere. Smoger and Bayless know the term "One punch could change a fight".

Comment

Two of the best refs in the sport.

Comment

Smoger is the **** he is a true ref with his eye on thye game

Comment

I also like Tony Weeks. If Cortez had reffed Corrales vs Castillo 1 we wouldn't have that classic fight.

Comment

I find it staggering Cortez continues to get work, I really do.

Comment

Originally posted by The Smash View Post
                    I find it staggering Cortez continues to get work, I really do.
                    You and me both man. I really don't like him at all. Everytime he says that "I'm fair but i'm firm" crap I want to punch him in the mouth.

Comment

Working...
                    X