No announcement yet.

Purpose Of A Headbutt: TO DAMAGE AND WEAKEN YOUR OPPONENT

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purpose Of A Headbutt: TO DAMAGE AND WEAKEN YOUR OPPONENT

What Bernard Hopkins and the many other fighters who have publicly supported Floyd realize is this: TO BE DAMAGED BY A HEADBUTT PUTS YOU AT A DISADVANTAGE.

Now, you might say, "but they took a point from Ortiz". So what? As Emanuel Steward said on the broadcast, "Ortiz wasn't coming here to win a decision." And sure enough, Ortiz was effectively down 4 rounds to 0.

Many fighters have had headbutts change the course of a fight. Or had mouth-bleeds end a fight. Notable example? Corrales lost to Casamayor because of excessive bleeding in his mouth.

Shane Mosley has said that he was disoriented by the headbutt in the first Forrest fight and that contributed to the KD. Shane was never hurt that badly again for the duration of his career.

What if the Fight got stopped later because Floyd was bleeding excessively? What if Floyd was thrown off because he was swallowing his own blood (he would be)? What if Floyd became less aggressive because the punches hurt him more now?

Floyd made the (correct) decision not to fight as a damaged fighter. Not to give Victor Ortiz an undeserved advantage.

If Victor was confident or comfortable, why would he need illegal ways to damage and weaken his opponent?

Ortiz opened up a cut with that headbutt, that's very uncool. The bleeding could have changed the way the fight or went or who knows, anything could happen as a result of that cut he opened on May's chin. That's why I don't feel overly angry at Floyd's tactics, but I was still angry at the fact that the fight ended that way.

Just think of it this way: if Victor Ortiz did not blatantly headbutt and cut Floyd, we would have had a longer better fight on our hands. Floyd would not had felt the need to retaliate in that manner and I would have gotten by damn money's worth.

Comment

Originally posted by Slyboots View Post
      Ortiz opened up a cut with that headbutt, that's very uncool. The bleeding could have changed the way the fight or went or who knows, anything could happen as a result of that cut he opened on May's chin. That's why I don't feel overly angry at Floyd's tactics, but I was still angry at the fact that the fight ended that way.

Just think of it this way: if Victor Ortiz did not blatantly headbutt and cut Floyd, we would have had a longer better fight on our hands. Floyd would not had felt the need to retaliate in that manner and I would have gotten by damn money's worth.
      To be honest,

I feel that I got MORE excitement and post-fight energy and controversy than by watching May methodically break Ortiz down for 3-4 more rounds.

Floyd Enviers like to say that Ortiz was winning round 4. Um, no. THIS was Round 4:

Then Ortiz got desperate and tried his bull move and hit nothing but fresh air, So he headbutted.

Comment

I think headbutt's should be an immediate point deduction or DQ in severe cases. Too many big fights are ruined because of injuried like cuts, bruises, broken eye-sockets sustained by intentional headbutts

Comment

Headbutts are a common tactic, but you're meant to make it look like a mistake. Although Foreman's headbutts to Tyson were just as blatant as Ortizs and he was never docked.

Ortiz just didn't know how to really do it properly, or how to make it look like an accidental clash of heads.

Anyway Ortiz fought really stupidly. Never understood why Ortiz tried to box with Floyd instead of just going in there and trying to hurt him. Like Ortiz is ever going to outbox Floyd from the outside. Even Canelos gameplan was to try and outbox Floyd.

Comment

Working...
          X