No announcement yet.

Virgil Hunter, "Freddie Roach dehydrated Khan"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virgil Hunter, "Freddie Roach dehydrated Khan"

Virgil Hunter has accused Amir Khan’s former training team under Freddie Roach of “making mistakes” by not ensuring the former world champion was fully rehydrated and at optimum weight for previous world title fights.

Amir Khan will enter the ring in Sheffield on Tuesday night against Mexico’s Julio Diaz for his first fight in the UK for two years 10 pounds heavier than the 140lb light-welterweight limit permitted at the weigh-in, 30 hours before a bout.

“Amir was giving away a lot of weight in some fights. He was 14lb lighter than Danny Garcia [who stopped Khan in the fourth round in July last year], and lighter than Marcos Maidana and Lamont Peterson,” said Hunter, Khan’s trainer, yesterday.

RELATED ARTICLES
    Amir Khan claims 'little' brother Haroon has ability to become a boxing world champion
    Amir Khan promises 'special' performance against Julio Diaz in rare UK date and questions the heart of his rival Kell Brook
    Amir Khan comes under fire for link with controversial American Victor Conte
    “He was cutting weight, but he was not putting the weight on again. Those parts of it were mistakes, and that part of it has been corrected. It means two things: you hit the wall in fights because you’re dehydrated, and it could mean you have less power.

“This is what I am here to do. To work with Amir and intuitively find what is right.

“Amir showed courage to leave one of the most acclaimed trainers in the world. Amir is a pleasure to work with.”

Khan explained the changes since the two camps with Hunter. “Now I’m walking into the ring 10lb heavier, which is my normal sparring weight. Some fighters put on 25lb. I’m now much stronger at the weight and hydrated fully. When I was fighting for the world titles, I’d walk into the ring at 147. I only put on 6½lb when I fought Garcia, and against Lamont Peterson, seven pounds.”

I have to agree with hunter here, khan looked really weak in the past and i am convinced him being dehydrated was one of the reasons he couldnt recover from the garcia shot (other reasons, it was an illegal shot, multiple lowblows by garcia, early stoppage by ref), i mean seriously, khan should never have lost to a guy who went life n death with an ancient morales. The new fully hydrated khan stops Garcia in 8 rounds, SIG IT!!

Roach wasn't Khan's nutritionist / conditioning coach. Khan had people for that.

Comment

I'm always looking out for your threads, keep up the good work

Comment

Remember how peterson juiced up and came in the ring at 156 and still got whooped? Lol

Comment

Ah thank you for confirming this. I've always wondered why Khan looked thin on fight night simply because he never put on much weight!

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS View Post
            Roach wasn't Khan's nutritionist / conditioning coach. Khan had people for that.

Yeah but its up to roach what weight khan trains, spars at etc. He is entirely at blame for the losses, no one else, khan would have been better off going into those fights with no trainer, he woupd have at least won.

Comment

Now with hunter on his side and victor conte (all legal nothing illegal, haters gone hate) khan will be roughly p4p#2-5 by april 2014. Its undeniable.

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS View Post
                ^^^^ how is Roach to blame for this? Nitpicking at its finest. You had 3 different strength coaches while under Roach and none of them brought this to your attention Amir?

Comment

Originally posted by KHANAGE!!! View Post
                  Now with hunter on his side and victor conte (all legal nothing illegal, haters gone hate) khan will be roughly p4p#2-5 by april 2014. Its undeniable.
                  I can see this happening. He is undefeated under his new trainer after all. People don't understand that we're dealing with a new, elite Amir King Khan. A Khan that none of us were ready for. He's p4p destined.

Comment

Was Garcia really 160 for the Khan fight? I don't remember there being that weigh disparity. And honestly, you can't trust most people in boxing when it comes to making points like this, they tend to exaggerate to make themselves look better/someone look worse.

Comment

Working...
                    X