Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would Of Chris Byrd Stood Any Chance Against Lennox Lewis?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't give him much of a chance. He may be able to make the fight competive & tricky, but overall he just dosen't have the tools or offence to cause Lewis any major problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Heavy Bag View Post
      I don't give him much of a chance. He may be able to make the fight competive & tricky, but overall he just dosen't have the tools or offence to cause Lewis any major problems.
      Thats a good point, he might be able to eek out a split decision, at best

Leiws still should of fought him though, I dont buy the whole his not a draw so I dont have to fight him card. Lewis didn't like it when Holyfield took the same stance against him, back in the early 90's

Comment

[QUOTE=-Lightsout-;9651013]
        Originally posted by mr.thraz View Post

If Toney slipped your right hand, you were going to get hit with a counter right. Byrd on the other hand might make you miss, but not always counter.
        toney throws thudding shots which allow him to get those one shot counters off. you throw a right , toney slips it and returns a counter-right that arrests your forward momentum. now with you still, toney can find a nice place to sit down and run combo's.

byrd throws cracking shots you can't see, and he has to put two or more of them together to really arrest forward momentum, being much smaller he cant run the exchange shot off the slip like toney, he's to small, and one shot from him may do some damage but the opponent probably wont know it till later.

byrd had to slip and continue to slip till he could find a nice angle to sit down and run combo's from.

Originally posted by -Lightsout- View Post
        Lord knows what he was doing in the first Wlad fight
        he got his but woop by wlad.

but what can you do? who would have though after tyson, holyfield, bowe and lewis the hw devision would get populated by super giants.

I would argue that Toney was a natural lhw, who boiled down to mw. smw was his prime division though, he was never any good at lhw
        As for Byrd, how on earth did he get so high? I heard he was a jmw during the amatuers
        toney was a 200LB football player at the university of Michigan.

byrd just said he got a weight set and stopped dieting to get up to heavy.
        his dad used to put him in with heavyweights all the time anyway. and no wanted to sign an southpaw middleweight after the Olympics. in fact the only deal he could get as a bronze medal winner was to turn pro at welter.

Comment

toney throws thudding shots which allow him to get those one shot counters off. you throw a right , toney slips it and returns a counter-right that arrests your forward momentum. now with you still, toney can find a nice place to sit down and run combo's.
          Good point
          byrd throws cracking shots you can't see, and he has to put two or more of them together to really arrest forward momentum, being much smaller he cant run the exchange shot off the slip like toney, he's to small, and one shot from him may do some damage but the opponent probably wont know it till later.

byrd had to slip and continue to slip till he could find a nice angle to sit down and run combo's from.
          But that could end up resulting with him having a very low punch output, as his always waiting for the perfect angle. Alot of the time Toney also took the lead like he did against McCallum I
          he got his but woop by wlad..
          Maybe he was doing what you stated above and was waiting for the perfect angle before throwing, which left with with such a poor workrate
          but what can you do? who would have thought after tyson, holyfield, bowe and lewis the hw devision would get populated by super giants.
          Big and boring
          toney was a 200LB football player at the university of Michigan.
          He has the build of a well built smw, he has no business fighting as high as hw. Even his own trainer Bill Miller said he was too small to fight at hw
          byrd just said he got a weight set and stopped dieting to get up to heavy.
          his dad used to put him in with heavyweights all the time anyway. and no wanted to sign an southpaw middleweight after the Olympics. in fact the only deal he could get as a bronze medal winner was to turn pro at welter.
          I thought he turned pro at smw?

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
            i suggest you go and watch Grant vs Golota link below...This was Grant's fight before facing Lewis and in no way is he more dangerous than No1 contender John Ruiz who had floored Lewis in sparring and knew how to beat Lewis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHb-OuNFL5c
            I don't need to open the link I have seen the fight. You mean the one where Golota knocked Grant down early in the fight, had him in trouble? Only to see Grant get up, punish Golota to the point of making him quit? Ok? What's your point? Or should I pull up a link showing Ruiz get blasted out in 30 seconds by Tua? Or losing to the same "shot" Holyfield you criticize Lewis for fighting? Or how about when Ruiz went down from A clear body shot but faked that he was hit by a low blow? Yeah Lewis had a lot to be afraid of lol. And show me any reliable source that shows without doubts that Ruiz "floored" Lewis in sparring. Not that it would matter anyway but you're just throwing out unsubstantiated claims.
            Last edited by joseph5620; 11-23-2010, 02:11 PM.

Comment

I'm a fan of Chris Byrd, yet, I always find it hilarious that some people think he could have beaten Lewis.

The fight never happened because there would have been little interest from the fans and that Lewis, even winning, would have likely looked bad.

Lewis jab, size, height, reach, power, skill set and athleticism would have won him the fight, either by decision or stoppage.

Comment

Good point
                thanks

But that could end up resulting with him having a very low punch output, as his always waiting for the perfect angle. Alot of the time Toney also took the lead like he did against McCallum I
                byrd was pretty good at finding an angle to punch from as the video demonstrates

Maybe he was doing what you stated above and was waiting for the perfect angle before throwing, which left with with such a poor workrate
                he just got beat up, he usally gives the first few rounds away but with wlad his eye where swollen by that point.

Big and boring
                i could not agree more

He has the build of a well built smw, he has no business fighting as high as hw. Even his own trainer Bill Miller said he was too small to fight at hw

I thought he turned pro at smw?

bill was wrong juging by his proformance as a heavy weight.

Comment

Mr. Byrd Snr told me the reason why Chris dropped from HW cause he fell in love with running. He would run 10 miles constantly. I seen him at the opening of our gym (Byrd Snr) and he looks like a zombie. But I heard he retired and he is doing his preacher thing now.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
                    I don't need to open the link I have seen the fight. You mean the one where Golota knocked Grant down early in the fight, had him in trouble? Only to see Grant get up, punish Golota to the point of making him quit? Ok? What's your point? Or should I pull up a link showing Ruiz get blasted out in 30 seconds by Tua? Or losing to the same "shot" Holyfield you criticize Lewis for fighting? Or how about when Ruiz went down from A clear body shot but faked that he was hit by a low blow? Yeah Lewis had a lot to be afraid of lol. And show me any reliable source that shows without doubts that Ruiz "floored" Lewis in sparring. Not that it would matter anyway but you're just throwing out unsubstantiated claims.
                    Your making out Grant to be a world beater when the reality of it is that he was nothing more than a hyped-up bum with all the hyping being done by Lennox Lewis and his camp... John Ruiz lost to Tua getting caught with the first punch of the fight while still just a novice fighter, he then fought his way to be No1 contender with the WBA and go on to be a 3 times champion of the world as well as beating Golota & Hasim Rahman and losing controversial decisions to Nikolay Valuev (twice) and Ruslan Chagaev in world title fights, Ruiz floored Evander Holyfield something Lewis never came near to doing in 24rds...yet you make Grant the better opponent & fighter... check out the 1999 editions of Boxing News and you will find your proof of the Ruiz Lewis sparring session, you may also want to check-out the Boxing News 2000 editions and read about Lamon Brewster Lewis sparring session which will bring tears to your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
                      Your making out Grant to be a world beater when the reality of it is that he was nothing more than a hyped-up bum with all the hyping being done by Lennox Lewis and his camp... John Ruiz lost to Tua getting caught with the first punch of the fight while still just a novice fighter, he then fought his way to be No1 contender with the WBA and go on to be a 3 times champion of the world as well as beating Golota & Hasim Rahman and losing controversial decisions to Nikolay Valuev (twice) and Ruslan Chagaev in world title fights, Ruiz floored Evander Holyfield something Lewis never came near to doing in 24rds...yet you make Grant the better opponent & fighter... check out the 1999 editions of Boxing News and you will find your proof of the Ruiz Lewis sparring session, you may also want to check-out the Boxing News 2000 editions and read about Lamon Brewster Lewis sparring session which will bring tears to your eyes.
                      Truth be told it wasn't the Lewis camp that was hyping Grant: It was the boxing mags and HBO. Remember Grant was HBO's "Next Big Thing" and they had a vested interest in building him up. HBO invested a lot of money in Grant and wanted a big payoff out of him. HBO ALWAYS hypes their fighters up. Hell, so does Showtime. It's the nature of the biz.

Poet

Comment

Working...
                      X