Justin Gatlin and the P.E.D debate

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Justin Gatlin and the P.E.D debate

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/29515182

Interesting article on JG. Personally, I think multiple drug cheats shouldn't be allowed to compete again, but I realise it's a very divisive issue.

What are your thought on Gatlin and the use of PED's in sport?

Originally posted by Hitman Hodgson View Post
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/29515182

Interesting article on JG. Personally, I think multiple drug cheats shouldn't be allowed to compete again, but I realise it's a very divisive issue.

What are your thought on Gatlin and the use of PED's in sport?
    I think his performance raises concerns. I also question how a 2 time cheat can be considered for an award when he shows no remorse.
    It also raises serious questions about Bolt when the top 5 behind you have all been banned for drug offences. I hope I'm wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Funky_Monk View Post
      I think his performance raises concerns. I also question how a 2 time cheat can be considered for an award when he shows no remorse.
      It also raises serious questions about Bolt when the top 5 behind you have all been banned for drug offences. I hope I'm wrong.
      I'm prepared to give Bolt the benefit of the doubt until he actually fails a test. He also doesn't seem to have been very consistant over the last few years.
      Also I don't really think it's fair that the coaches seem to be given more severe punishments than the athletes themselves. To me if you're a professional athlete then you have to take full responsiblity for what you put in your body. Sure, a coach can pressure you to take it but the final decsion rests with the athlete.

Comment

I believe if the governing body proves the athlete consciously cheated (PED), the athlete, regardless of sport, should receive a 1-year ban. I believe a second infraction should be a lifetime ban. This may sound harsh, but unfortunately it's the only way to clean up sports.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitman Hodgson View Post
          I'm prepared to give Bolt the benefit of the doubt until he actually fails a test. He also doesn't seem to have been very consistant over the last few years.
          Also I don't really think it's fair that the coaches seem to be given more severe punishments than the athletes themselves. To me if you're a professional athlete then you have to take full responsiblity for what you put in your body. Sure, a coach can pressure you to take it but the final decsion rests with the athlete.
          If you punish the people who supply the PEDs then the athletes won't have the chance. Like how illegal drug suppliers are given more severe punishment to just the drug takers.

At least that's the theory. It'll always be an issue sadly.

Comment

Working...
          X