Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should boards/commissions publicize medical statements in case of a pull out?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should boards/commissions publicize medical statements in case of a pull out?

Don Charles, the trainer of Derek Chisora and Wadi Camacho, recently sat down with me and talked over the issues of fighters pulling out of fights without providing the opposing team with adequate medical statements.

Amongst other things, Charles noted that most of the times boxers pull out of fights, the opposing team and the board/commission are never given adequate evidence that the fighter is really injured.

Of course, the recent example of this would be David Haye who pulled out of three different dates in 2013 (one was supposed to take place in February, 2014) - without providing the opposition (Manuel Charr, Tyson Fury twice) with any medical statement.

Another example was, of course, when Wladimir Klitschko pulled out on Derek Chisora twice - only to subsequently schedule a fight with then WBA heavyweight champ, David Haye.

“It’s happened to us personally – me and Dereck Chisora – where we’ve gone to camp, spent a large amount of money paying sparring partners and mentally preparing ourselves only for that opponent to suddenly pull out with an injury. How come we never can challenge it?

"I have never seen any medical evidence of these injuries from governing bodies, officials, managers or promoters.

“I think all of these things should be made public because it is the public after all that are supporting it publically. Therefore, it is in the public interest.”

It is an interesting topic, as most fighters are either independently managed or promoted with little-to-no requirements given to them by their commission or board.

Charles proposed to me that when signing a fight, both boxers should also sign a petition with the board to ensure if any injures occur without proper medical evidence, the pulling out fighter should cover the costs of the other man's camp (if a rematch is not scheduled).

What are your feelings on this and how would you want it changed?
    Yes
    71.43%
    No
    28.57%

Doctors would only be paid off.who gives a **** if evidence is provided or not.

Comment

U do know that's illegal rite?

Comment

Originally posted by DempseyRollin View Post
        U do know that's illegal rite?
        exactly miy thoughts when I read it. doctor's can't disclose that stuff without the patient's consent. where I live anyway...

Comment

No/ Fighters should just post pictures of themselves on Twitter with sad faces and puppy dog eyes.

That's enough evidence

Comment

maybe if it's just a discreet consented view of the medical reports & nobody else but i'm still not sure if it's a good idea. then what is next?

Comment

absolutely

once you sign a contract, you should have to prove that you're unable to fight. otherwise, you fight.

fighters are going to have to start getting insurance for this stuff if it continues to happen unchecked.

david haye would literally schedule a fight and go on a press tour for publicity. he'd have no intention of taking the fight. he was waiting for vitali to get old.

unfortunately, these injuries are easy to fake. you can't make a man fight unless he's got an injury that comes up on an x ray, mri, etc. the ones that don't can be faked. not to mention adam booth cracking haye on the eyebrow with a skillet.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler UK View Post
                No/ Fighters should just post pictures of themselves on Twitter with sad faces and puppy dog eyes.

That's enough evidence
                True..

Comment

How about in cases of injury the fighter be examined by an unbiased commission appointed Dr.

Comment

Originally posted by M.I Truth ? View Post
                    How about in cases of injury the fighter be examined by an unbiased commission appointed Dr.

this is basically the only way it can be done.

Comment

Working...
                    X