No announcement yet.

Most skilled: Walcott, Moore, or Charles

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
    You know Charles swept Moore in their series right?

Poet
    I do, but Saddler done almost exactly the same with Willie Pep, as did Gene Fullmer with Sugar Ray (barring that sweet left hook, of course). Even in recent times, people say that Marquez has won the Pacquiao rivalry 3-1 or even 4-0 in some cases. I'd still rate Pep, Robinson and Pacquiao greater than their counterparts though. Styles make fights.

I understand that I may be more or less alone in thinking that Moore is greater that Charles, but that's just my opinion.
    Last edited by Bolo Punch; 03-21-2013, 10:21 AM. Reason: Accidentally wrote Fullmer instead of Robinson

Comment

Originally posted by Pacquiaoifyable View Post
      I do, but Saddler done almost exactly the same with Willie Pep, as did Gene Fullmer with Sugar Ray (barring that sweet left hook, of course). Even in recent times, people say that Marquez has won the Pacquiao rivalry 3-1 or even 4-0 in some cases. I'd still rate Pep, Fullmer and Pacquiao greater than their counterparts though. Styles make fights.

I understand that I may be more or less alone in thinking that Moore is greater that Charles, but that's just my opinion.
      Here's the difference: Pep and Robinson were both past-it (in Robinson case WELL past-it) when they lost to Saddler and Fullmer while Charles and Moore were both in their primes when they fought their series.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
        Here's the difference: Pep and Robinson were both past-it (in Robinson case WELL past-it) when they lost to Saddler and Fullmer while Charles and Moore were both in their primes when they fought their series.

Poet
        I disagree RE: Willie Pep being passed it when he fought Saddler. I know he was in a plane crash a couple of years prior but he fought again not even 7 months after that happened, which leads me to believe the extent of his injuries have been exaggerated to try and somewhat add to his legacy or make it sound like he was the greatest thing since Lazarus.

Pep was more or less smack-bang in the middle of his career when the fights with Saddler took place.

Comment

I'm a big Charles fan, that guy could do amazing things in the ring, skilful skilful fighter. He's the best out of those 3 imo and top 10 all time.

Comment

I disagree RE: Willie Pep being passed it when he fought Saddler. I know he was in a plane crash a couple of years prior but he fought again not even 7 months after that happened, which leads me to believe the extent of his injuries have been exaggerated to try and somewhat add to his legacy or make it sound like he was the greatest thing since Lazarus.

Pep was more or less smack-bang in the middle of his career when the fights with Saddler took place.
            Bro, being injured in a plane crash is going to diminish your physical abilities, I'm not going to act like an expert on the circumstances of what happened, but the reason he fought so soon after is probably because he needed $$

Comment

Originally posted by One more round View Post
              Bro, being injured in a plane crash is going to diminish your physical abilities, I'm not going to act like an expert on the circumstances of what happened, but the reason he fought so soon after is probably because he needed $$
              I'm guessing he would've got a job outside of sports, had his injuries been so severe.

Put it this way - you don't win the World Featherweight title on two separate occasions and defend it multiple times, as well as going 115-7 in non-title bouts after suffering truly serious injuries. You need to be a world class athlete to do that and Willie Pep clearly was. Pre-crash and post-crash.

Comment

I'm guessing he would've got a job outside of sports, had his injuries been so severe.

Put it this way - you don't win the World Featherweight title on two separate occasions and defend it multiple times, as well as going 115-7 in non-title bouts after suffering truly serious injuries. You need to be a world class athlete to do that and Willie Pep clearly was. Pre-crash and post-crash.
                Good point. However all I'm trying to get at is that the crash would have taken something away from him. Not enough to stop him from fighting at the top level, but just a little something.

Comment

Originally posted by One more round View Post
                  Good point. However all I'm trying to get at is that the crash would have taken something away from him. Not enough to stop him from fighting at the top level, but just a little something.
                  Yeah man, I definitely agree with that.

I just think Poet was off the mark when he said that Pep wasn't prime when he fought Saddler, when in actual fact, that's probably when his career was at it's peak. Whether or not he could've been better is a different debate altogether.

Comment

Probably Ezzard Charles.

Comment

For me, Archie Moore is the greatest of all three and the greatest light-heavyweight of all-time.

I believe Ezzard Charles to be overrated somewhat, but still a top 25 ATG.
                      How so?

In what area is he overrated?

Comment

Working...
                      X