Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WSB Boxing: Guess What Team the Cuba Domadores Are Going Up Against in the Playoffs!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
    That's what I'm wondering about. I also wouldn't doubt if some less talented fighters jump ship in Miami. It's going to be very, very interesting to see what happens when with that Cuban team. The tournament results have now officially taken a backseat to intrigue.
    Maybe... They just see the U.S. as a source of opportunity! Many of the second tier Cuban boxers have some fan friendly styles that would appeal to Americans.

Comment

Originally posted by Cubanborn87 View Post
      I doubt it man , Cubans as a whole don't see USA as the evil empire. I have gone to many USA vs Cuba matches baseball soccer and even volleyball and never saw any political rallies around it. It was all sports related fun.
      That propaganda that the Castro govt. feeds to them is pretty damn powerful though... It's nice to see most Cubans on the island not feeding into that!

Comment

Originally posted by Art-illery View Post
        You know the Cuban govt. ain't sendin their top guns to the U.S... ESPECIALLY to Miami!
        I can certainly see that, but there are many less-heralded Cuban athletes that defect all the time. You just don't hear about them, unless they make some noise later. Yasiel Puig, for instance, is one of those guys. He didn't arrive with the fanfare of Yoenis Cespedes, but he became an overnight sensation in last year's baseball season. I don't doubt that at least a couple of the lesser Cuban fighters bounce in Miami. And, who knows? One of them can wind up as boxing's answer to Puig.

Comment

That propaganda that the Castro govt. feeds to them is pretty damn powerful though... It's nice to see most Cubans on the island not feeding into that!
          Some of the more hardcore communists in Cuba bought into that propaganda, but the Cuban people as a whole never did.

Comment

I bet you in the 70s and 60s that was the case, but the funny things about cubans in the island is they see americans as neighbors. they love american music, american sports american movies etc. When american tourists visit everyone is eager to talk to these distant neighbors to get a feel for their country and culture etc.

Comment

I can certainly see that, but there are many less-heralded Cuban athletes that defect all the time. You just don't hear about them, unless they make some noise later. Yasiel Puig, for instance, is one of those guys. He didn't arrive with the fanfare of Yoenis Cespedes, but he became an overnight sensation in last year's baseball season. I don't doubt that at least a couple of the lesser Cuban fighters bounce in Miami. And, who knows? One of them can wind up as boxing's answer to Puig.
              But thin about it the cuban national team has played here more than a handful of times lately, i can only think of one defection. they usually defect during other torunaments

Comment

Originally posted by Cubanborn87 View Post
                But thin about it the cuban national team has played here more than a handful of times lately, i can only think of one defection. they usually defect during other torunaments
                Why do you think that is?

Comment

Some of the more hardcore communists in Cuba bought into that propaganda, but the Cuban people as a whole never did.
                  That's good to hear. I wonder why many Cubans on the island never spoke up against that propaganda. The possibility of getting jailed can olny scare a person so far.

Comment

Why do you think that is?
                    lock down lol but then i am sure they do it everywhere else too.

Comment

That's good to hear. I wonder why many Cubans on the island never spoke up against that propaganda. The possibility of getting jailed can olny scare a person so far.
                      With time, and the aging of the Castro brothers, the communists are gradually losing their grip. There was a time when the government had some of the best internal intelligence in the world. They ran a tight ship. In the early days, when they had more believers in the system, people would snitch on their co-workers, neighbors, etc. I read a book years ago, about this man who spent 27 years in a Cuban political prison. To this day, he's not certain what landed him there. The best he could come up with was that he might've said something "counter-revolutionary" at work one day.

Comment

Working...
                      X