Roach: Crawford rejected Pacquiao fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roach: Crawford rejected Pacquiao fight

Link

In a really surprising bit of news, Manny Pacquiao’s trainer Freddie Roach is saying that unbeaten WBO 140lb champion Terence Crawford (27-0, 19 KOs) turned down a fight against Manny Pacquiao (57-6-2, 38 KOs) for April 9th. Roach says Crawford said no to a fight against Pacquiao, and that Top Rank promoter Bob Arum said they wouldn’t try and get Crawford to take the fight with Pacquiao yet.

If Arum believes there’s still time to match Pacquiao against Crawford at a later date, then there is a chance that Arum will be able to convince Pacquiao to resume his boxing career long enough to make that fight happen. However, Pacquiao is saying he wants to retire so that he can focus on his political career in the Philippines.

“I think it’s a good fight for him [Pacquiao]. Hopefully, we’ll get someone [Mayweather] to come out of retirement after that,” Roach told Fighthype. Crawford said no. Bob [Arum] said they won’t try Crawford yet. Crawford is too young for Manny. Crawford may be a future superstar, but he’s not that far yet. They’re still building him. Crawford may be someone down the line, but I don’t feel he’s ready for Manny yet,” Roach said.
    So either Crawford turned down the Pacquiao or Arum if Roach is to be believed. It’s one of those two things.

kinda hard to believe a fighter turning down a career high payday

Comment

Pacquiao would blitz his a*s worse than the Nazi's did to London. He's too green he'll get put to sleep this ain't no Ricky Burns.

Comment

It's hard to believe but whatever the case may be, Crawford needs to develop cause Pacquiao would have killed him.

Comment

Originally posted by -MAKAVELLI- View Post
          kinda hard to believe a fighter turning down a career high payday
          Why? Do you remember Danny Garcia? They wanted no parts of Mayweather. They kept saying no and no and never chased the fight.

Comment

As a Crawford fan I was glad to hear he wasn't going to be fighting Pacquiao.

Crawford simply isn't ready. Pacquiao would've pummeled him.

Crawford needs a couple B-level fights at 147 before fighting anybody in the top 10 there.
            Last edited by Santa_; 01-14-2016, 04:41 PM.

Comment

So Arum listed him as a potential opponent with no intention of actually making the fight? Truly shocking, industry-shaking news here.

Comment

They playing the ''They are ducking us" game again?

Originally posted by Santa_ View Post
                As a Crawford fan I was glad to hear he wasn't going to be fighting Pacquiao.

Crawford simply isn't ready. Pacquiao would've pummeled him.

Crawford needs a couple fights at 147 before fighting anybody in the top 10 there.
                He's 28 and Pacquiao isn't a big Welterweight. If he's not ready now, I doubt he will ever be ready.

Comment

Arum making all of these Decisions I guarantee it

Comment

I don't usually believe anything Roach says, but this one isn't hard to believe. Crawford loves fighting blown up midgets and C level fighters.

Comment

Working...
                    X