No announcement yet.

Same day weigh ins

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Same day weigh ins

Last nite Rios weighed in at 173 lbs. Same day weigh ins were abandoned to protect fighters (and the promoters purse) but now it sems a fighter could be facing an opponent who is 2 weight classes above him. Same day weigh ins would make fighters compete in their natural weight class. This might make things more fair and even protect fighters.

People will always cut weight to gain an edge

Comment

Another reason Rios is retiring...he can't make 147 anymore...LOL.

Divisions would get shook up HUGELY with same day weigh ins....

most people would be moving up a division.

Comment

I'm very much in favor of it.

If you can't get in shape, you shouldn't be in the ring anyway.

And like many others who tried to use extra weight to their advantage, Rios paid for it big time.

Comment

Originally posted by ruedboy View Post
          Last nite Rios weighed in at 173 lbs. Same day weigh ins were abandoned to protect fighters (and the promoters purse) but now it sems a fighter could be facing an opponent who is 2 weight classes above him. Same day weigh ins would make fighters compete in their natural weight class. This might make things more fair and even protect fighters.
          And you saw what cutting that much did to rios. There's a threshold where it becomes detrimental.

Comment

I have been a big boxing fan for a long time including decades of same day weigh ins. I really can't remember any problems with them. The system worked just fine. There may have been some problems but I don't remember any. I think changing to weighing in in the early afternoon the day before the fight was a terrible idea and didn't protect the boxers at all. It encourages extreme ways to compete in a weight class much smaller than the boxer should be fighting in. Rios is a good example. He weighs in at 147 and enters the ring as a 173 pound light heavyweight. He didn't benefit from the extreme weight gain and he fought a sluggish, terrible fight. It still isn't fair for him to outweigh Bradley by 15 pounds. That would have been impossible in the same day weigh in days. Boxers never gained more than 5 or 6 pounds between the weigh in and the fight. Not all rule changes are good for boxing. Not allowing judges to score an even round even was also a bad change and partly responsible for so many lousy scorecards turned in by the judges. The judges tend to give all the rounds they would have scored even to their favorite fighter. Judges have their favorite boxers just like all boxing fans. Now you often get one judge scoring a lopsided score for one boxer and another judge scoring a lopsided win for the other boxer. It could be that all the rounds they would have scored even are given to the boxer they like best. Scoring an even round even is a tool judges should be allowed to use. Rios may not be the best example of why I think we should return to same day weigh ins. Rios is a fatso and could fight at 135 or 140 with a better diet and harder training. Chavez might be a better example. He consistently came into the ring at 180 pounds for his middleweight fights and had a big size and weight advantage over other middleweights.

Comment

same day, five days before the fight weight in does not matter as long as he will not be more than 5 lbs of the max weight allowed at the division they will be fighting on the night of the fight.

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
                I have been a big boxing fan for a long time including decades of same day weigh ins. I really can't remember any problems with them. The system worked just fine. There may have been some problems but I don't remember any. I think changing to weighing in in the early afternoon the day before the fight was a terrible idea and didn't protect the boxers at all. It encourages extreme ways to compete in a weight class much smaller than the boxer should be fighting in. Rios is a good example. He weighs in at 147 and enters the ring as a 173 pound light heavyweight. He didn't benefit from the extreme weight gain and he fought a sluggish, terrible fight. It still isn't fair for him to outweigh Bradley by 15 pounds. That would have been impossible in the same day weigh in days. Boxers never gained more than 5 or 6 pounds between the weigh in and the fight. Not all rule changes are good for boxing. Not allowing judges to score an even round even was also a bad change and partly responsible for so many lousy scorecards turned in by the judges. The judges tend to give all the rounds they would have scored even to their favorite fighter. Judges have their favorite boxers just like all boxing fans. Now you often get one judge scoring a lopsided score for one boxer and another judge scoring a lopsided win for the other boxer. It could be that all the rounds they would have scored even are given to the boxer they like best. Scoring an even round even is a tool judges should be allowed to use. Rios may not be the best example of why I think we should return to same day weigh ins. Rios is a fatso and could fight at 135 or 140 with a better diet and harder training. Chavez might be a better example. He consistently came into the ring at 180 pounds for his middleweight fights and had a big size and weight advantage over other middleweights.
                The idea of day before weigh ins is so guys aren't fighting dehydrated from trying to make weight. I like the stipulation of a rehydration clause limiting the amount of weight fighters can put on between the weigh in and fight. And who says judges can't score even rounds?

Comment

Rios made a career out of pulling that crap. His whole claim to fame at LW was him being a bigger guy than the rest. Live by the sword, die by the sword.

Comment

That's how it should be. A lot of weight cheaters around.

It's not only the weight that hurt Rios, it is because he isn't that good. A good or great boxer weighing that much over his opponent can be a huge danger to the smaller man.

Let's implement it!

Comment

Working...
                    X