No announcement yet.

Perfect example of why it's better to sign with Al Haymon instead of Bob Arum

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
    I think right now I could argue on reasons it'd be better to sign with Haymon/PBC over Arum but idk if what you are bringing up would be one of the reasons.

The way Arum works is to build up his name or potential name guys over several years. You will never really see his name guys get beat & seldom see the guys he's grooming be beat until he's ready for them to be beat vs his name guys (Ivan Najera is a perfect example). He's great at that. And these two cats just can't compete with the Jesse Hart, Andy Ruiz, Brad Solomon, etc type guys right now for Arum's attention at bringing them up.

I also think its hard to build up Russian/Russian state fighters in the US. Loma isn't nearly as big as he arguably should be. Even GGG underwhelmed buy-wise in his first PPV fight. Idk that Arum sees random Russian guys as viable stars on his roster right now that can sell tickets & attract viewers.
    Arum is a super smart promoter and if anything all the hate he gets just shows how effective he is. He is one of the few promoters who can successfully, and consistently, bring up a guy from nothing into a household name for boxing fans. Top Rank has some great matchmaking, and even if their biggest fights tend to be in-house, they're still usually very competitive and entertaining. Crawford is a great recent example of what Arum and Top Rank can do as promoters.

As for Russian fighters, a separate topic but there are tons of Russians and Eastern Europeans in the States, so it's definitely a growing market out here. You could hear all those fans going nuts for Lomachenko for example.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
      I also think its hard to build up Russian/Russian state fighters in the US. Loma isn't nearly as big as he arguably should be. Even GGG underwhelmed buy-wise in his first PPV fight. Idk that Arum sees random Russian guys as viable stars on his roster right now that can sell tickets & attract viewers.
      A promoter has to give the fighters exposure to increase their popularity. Main Events did that for Kovalev. Beterbiev is becoming very popular in Quebec, like Bute was.

Arum has ordinary boxers in the two televised fights on Nov 20, but the much more talented and entertaining Gvozdyk and Ponomarev are off TV.

He's not giving them a chance to shine.
      Last edited by The Hammer; 11-12-2015, 03:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 12TRIBEsRiSe View Post
        top rank has fed us the same fights for years some were pretty good... if Alvarado was healthy hed be fighting bradley next and if rios looked good he would be figting Crawford next lol all these "in house" fights outside of pac Floyd which was a money fight. but for some reason there is this big cry against haymon as if all these other companies are putting on these great "best vs best" fights lol
        Other than Mares vs. Santa Cruz, PBC's product has been garbage.

Comment

I wonder what Haymon could have done with Lomachenko

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom. View Post
            Here's a perfect example of why it's better to sign with Al Haymon than Bob Arum.

Talented middleweight Sergiy Derevyanchenko (6-0) managed by Al Haymon is fighting on Showtime this coming Saturday. This is excellent exposure for an up-and-coming boxer.

Now Konstantin Ponomarev (28-0) and Oleksandr Gvozdyk (7-0) promoted by Bob Arum are both scheduled to fight on an undercard of a Top Rank card Nov 20. There are two other fights on the card being televised by TruTV.

Both are as talented (if not more so) than Derevyanchenko, but both are fighting OFF TV, even though Ponomarev is facing a better opponent (Rico Mueller 19-1-1 who has never been stopped) than Derevyanchenko.
            Ponomarev & Gvozdyk are much more raw than Derevyanchenko, and need to be moved more slowly as prospects. Derevyanchenko is being prepared for a title shot in December after his November fight.

Haymon's good for most of his fighters in getting them exposure & money, but he sucks at developing his young talent, where as TR has proven to be the best, with this year being an ugly exception. This has just be horrible year for TR and they've sighted it due to Haymon buying up most of the fighters and non-HBO tv and then overpaying opponent-fighters so that TR can't even get their guys fights at reasonable prices.

Wait for the hedge to start to drain down and all that'll chance. Haymon's already plowed through over $300mill of his $500mill. He spent 10 years worth of HBO's budget in just 1 year. Give it another year and then Haymon fighters will be facing a cold shower.

Comment

Originally posted by The Ninth Layer View Post
              Arum is a super smart promoter and if anything all the hate he gets just shows how effective he is. He is one of the few promoters who can successfully, and consistently, bring up a guy from nothing into a household name for boxing fans. Top Rank has some great matchmaking, and even if their biggest fights tend to be in-house, they're still usually very competitive and entertaining. Crawford is a great recent example of what Arum and Top Rank can do as promoters.
              I wasn't making a judgement call I was just saying how he works. I think there are good & bad parts to it, but it works & I'm sure thats all he concerns himself with.

As for Russian fighters, a separate topic but there are tons of Russians and Eastern Europeans in the States, so it's definitely a growing market out here. You could hear all those fans going nuts for Lomachenko for example.
              All kinds of cats get cheers at at fights. I'm just saying idk that there is a proven fanbase for these guys to build them up like some of Arum's other guys are being built up. I suspect Arum is also leery of this thus headlining Russians when you could headline your Mexican HW (or whoever is headlining that card) might make more sense for the time being.

Comment

Originally posted by PBP. View Post
                I wonder what Haymon could have done with Lomachenko
                People would have seen him on TV more often, and so he would have had more exposure and become better-known to the general public.

He'd have fought "name" opponents like Abner Mares instead of people we never heard of like Loma's past 3: Romulo Koasicha, Gamalier Rodriguez and Chonlatarn Piriyapinyo (a waste of 18 months of Loma's prime).

Arum is often too miserly to pay for better-known opponents.

Comment

Notice boxers who have been promoted by the exploitative Arum end up at odds with him (Rigo, M Garcia, Floyd, etc)

And boxers managed by Haymon have nothing but good to say about him.

It's obvious who is better for the boxers' careers.

Comment

I like K2. It seems like a small promotion, but I think it's going to get bigger.
                    They should start looking at more talents from Europe and Asia from these next Olympics.
                    There are quite a few.

Comment

So......is Haymon good or bad?

Comment

Working...
                      X