Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why couldn't Floyd move and use his footwork against Maidana?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cause he chose not to

http://youtu.be/Dt52x7UC6ZU

Comment

Originally posted by goofy_ View Post
      Can someone explain to me why Floyd couldn't move and use his footwork against Maidana like on his previous fights? I'm not use to seeing him against the ropes this much in one fight.
      Chino was able to roll him up. Chino threw lots of hard shots at lots of angles. The natural instinct in the Philly Shell is to lean back, then counter and / or dodge. Chino has shown that he didn't much respect the counters that were coming at him, and his awkward punches seemed to throw a kink in Floyd's ability to dodge. That hard volume punching encouraged Floyd to go straight back which put him against the ropes.

He was able to do this more dramatically against the lower volume and less skilled Broner. The response to this should be for Floyd to go lateral when pressed instead of leaning back, though the first Broner knockdown shows the danger for Floyd in that. Combine that with Floyd still getting older, and Maidana still getting better as a full on WW, and it is what it is.

Comment

You mustve missed the Cotto fight huh. When Floyd used his legs Maidana looked lost. And when Floyd let his hands go Maidana looked lost.

The rematch Maidana will be lucky to win 1 round.

120-108 Mayweather.

Floyd chose not to use his legs mainly to keep the fans from bytching. And instead of praising Floyd for going toe to toe with a powerful 165 ponder they rather shyt on Floyd instead.

So um yeah the remath will be back to basics box, easy win, get paid leave.

There will be SEVERAL threads crying about the rematch. Watch.
        Last edited by -GoldenBoy-; 05-06-2014, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Because when some is attacking him and throws more than 1/2 punches his instinct is to go to his comfort zone which is his shell defense. He will hit his opponents with counters aimed to halt their attack and make them tentative but against aggressive offensive fighters who don't get discouraged getting hit by light punches it gets complicated for Floyd.

Comment

I rewatched most if the fight earlier and it's clear that Floyd was uncomfortable trading with Chino in the middle of the ring. Something I never would have expected. It's like the radar was malfunctioning, he couldn't read Maidana's counters and was reluctant to commit to anything.

The angles had a lot to do with it but it was also the weird way Maidana would put shots together and the fact that Floyd's counters didn't interrupt his punches. One of the only times I've ever seen Floyd look confused. Chino started to tire in the sixth though. Pattern of the fight changed noticeably from then on.

Comment

Because he's way passed his prime.

Comment

Originally posted by LA_2_Vegas View Post
                Maidana covers ground
                maidana cut off the ring ala Duran

Comment

Cuz he's a dumb brawler

Comment

Maidana didn't give Floyd any respect and just kept throwing. That's something that Floyd's other opponents didn't do or stopped doing midway.

Floyd has also slowed down a lot.

Comment

It was a combination of Maidana's style and ability to execute a game plan and the simple fact that Floyd is 37.

Comment

Working...
                      X