Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Anthony Joshua To Go Pro, Sign With Eddie Hearn

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know if it's just be, but from watching the amatuers has anyone noticed the gap between the HW's and the lighter weights getting bigger in terms of skills and movement? From the entire olympic games, the only Super heavy who showed he had solid skills and movement was Erisalandy Savon.

Comment

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
      For a guy who had been boxing for about 3 years, I think he did pretty damn fantastic in the Olympics.

He's an awesome athlete first and foremost, and he will have awesome power. His footwork is still not excellent, but he can work on that. He will be brought along carefully, but to me it's just awesome to have an English speaking heavyweight on the scene who can really capture the imagination of the public. He could even go to America and become a star. It's been a while.
      I'm hoping for big things from him too, he could be a major star in Britain if he is brought along properly.

He seems to have power, heart and a chin from what I saw during the Olympics but he needs to improve technically with his punching, footwork and lateral movement, as they were all lacking slightly throughout.

Having said that, the guy only had 34 bouts before the Olympics which speaks volume for his potentiall! Great news that he is with Hearn and Sky!

Comment

Originally posted by kiDynamite92 View Post
        I don't know if it's just be, but from watching the amatuers has anyone noticed the gap between the HW's and the lighter weights getting bigger in terms of skills and movement? From the entire olympic games, the only Super heavy who showed he had solid skills and movement was Erisalandy Savon.
        I thought Savon looked great, and I thought he was unlucky against Joshua not to get the decision. Would like to see him in the pros.

Comment

I find it ridiculous that people are already writing off his chances, maybe wait and see how he does in a few professional fights then judge him?

Comment

Originally posted by gingerbreadman View Post
            I like how you left out Haye, Fury and Price. Haye and Fury are too mouthy to be crossover stars, and Price doesn't speak English.
            Price was 26/27 when he turned pro, Fury wasn't really a great amateur and Haye only moved to HW when he was already established. So that's why I'm excited about Joshua. I had the chance to interview him after the world championships and he's such a nice level-headed young guy. With the right Trainer, he can go far.

Btw I am born and bread in Liverpool.

Comment

Finding the right trainer and then judging the pace/progression of his career will be the absolute key.

Anthony has definitely got all the tools, he's built himself a very decent platform by winning the big one in London and he's got time on his side.

On the downside; he's very inexperienced and will have to do a lot of learning in the ring and listening in the gym.

Thankfully, he seems really bright and grounded and that hopefully means he will be prepared to be challenged in the gym and let someone else pick his fights and how quickly he progresses.

Hearn will do a good job and I think Booth, Jimmy/Mark Tibbs or Rob McCracken could all do a really good job with him.

Comment

This is a MASSIVE MASSIVE signing for Matchroom Boxing and Eddie Hearn. Anthony Joshua is going to be a huge ticket seller and generate very big tv ratings. Matchroom Boxing had to give him millions and millions of pounds for the signing. Hearn is doing big things in British Boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by kiDynamite92 View Post
                  Man I was thinking this the other day!

Too many heavies/super are just walking punch bags, they throw wild, uncoordinated punches and their footwork is almost non existent.

Yeah Savon looked ok in a poor division, where are the days of great, exciting to watch heavyweight amateurs?

Comment

Working...
                  X