Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time for Instant Replay in .....BOXING???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RavshinRicRude View Post
    Based on the last two major PPV ending in "controversy" and countless other fight that leave you wondering...........

is it time for instant replay in boxing??? how can it work in this sport??? any ideas???

I've been thinking about it for a while now, not just because of the recent controversies, but even for less significant fights. I was watching a recent match between two new pros, which ended in a draw. One of the fighters, Hairon Socarras, is a promising super bantamweight who would've benefited from proper officiating. The outcome would've been decisive, but the ref scored a clear shove/rabbit punch as a knockdown.

"Bushbaby's" idea is fine, but I think the replays can be held until the end of a fight. Then the scores can be adjusted accordingly.

Comment

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
      Even with Replay, the last 2 PPV results would have been upheld
      Mayweather-Ortiz, probably. Hopkins-Dawson, maybe not. But instant replay goes far beyond the last two PPVs....

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
        Mayweather-Ortiz, probably. Hopkins-Dawson, maybe not. But instant replay goes far beyond the last two PPVs....
        You'd think Russin would know this.......

Comment

Each boxer should be given 1 challenge that they can use at the end of the fight.
          They can challenge bad calls and decisions, and it should be a unanimous decision with the judges, commission and referee.
          They can watch the entire round that is being challenged.

Comment

Let's step back a minute and try to look at this in both a positive AND negative light.

If instant replays were considered, when exactly would instant replays be used? Right AFTER an incident? IN-BETWEEN rounds? AT THE END OF A FIGHT when scorecards are being counted? Who decides when to use instant replays? In what cases (exactly) should they be used? How frequently in a fight may they be used? etc, etc.

On paper, it sounds terrific and I'm sure it is. What worries me is that it may severely affect the momentum of a fight if it's implemented awkwardly. It's like when a fighter loses his mouthpiece in a fight. Some referees immediately halt the fight, others wait until the end of the round, and others wait until there's a lull in the action (perhaps a clinch) in order to take a moment to clean the mouthpiece and put it back in.

Comment

Originally posted by TintaBoricua View Post
              Let's step back a minute and try to look at this in both a positive AND negative light.

If instant replays were considered, when exactly would instant replays be used? Right AFTER an incident? IN-BETWEEN rounds? AT THE END OF A FIGHT when scorecards are being counted? Who decides when to use instant replays? In what cases (exactly) should they be used? How frequently in a fight may they be used? etc, etc.

On paper, it sounds terrific and I'm sure it is. What worries me is that it may severely affect the momentum of a fight if it's implemented awkwardly. It's like when a fighter loses his mouthpiece in a fight. Some referees immediately halt the fight, others wait until the end of the round, and others wait until there's a lull in the action (perhaps a clinch) in order to take a moment to clean the mouthpiece and put it back in.
              It should be after the fight, it would work just fine. Ref scores a knockdown, then checks it after the fight that it wasn't a knockdown, changes the scores, and then reveal the score cards. I don't see how exactly would be the problem.

Comment

I remember reading an article a few months ago saying that Pacquiao vs. Marquez III will be the first boxing event to utilize instant replay.

Anyone recall?

http://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1...instant+replay

Comment

I agree. It should definitely be involved.

Comment

I agree they could use it to determine the outcome at the end of bouts when there is controversy but it wouldn't work during a bout if they need to call a time out for it. It could cause alot of delays.

Comment

Instant replay should be used for Knockdowns and should probably be viewed at the end of the round when there would be the least disturbance. That way fighters know if they have suffered a 10-8 round or not straight away.

It would be good to have an official on the outside that reviews the replays during the fight and advises the referee between rounds or something.

Comment

Working...
                      X