No announcement yet.

Lets put an end to the circle jerk regarding last nights fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lets put an end to the circle jerk regarding last nights fight

I watched the fight last nite with a friend and didnt keep score RBR on paper but kept an ongoing count of points after each round.

now...im tired of hearing this phrase on this forum, "clottey was robbed".

it was a closely contested fight. period. a robbery isnt a closely contested fight...a robbery is when it is abundantly clear a particular fighter has clearly won a fight and when you DONT EXPECT controversy in a decision and all of the sudden a fighter who never deserved to win a the fight has...

this wasnt a fight we all watched and said, "oh...clottey has this fight by 4 rounds easily" and then surprisingly cotto gets a miracle gift decision. thats not what happened. i had it even on rounds and cotto up by one because of the flash knockdown in round one (which i believe was a combination of clottey being off balance and cotto touching him at just the right time.

I did NOT like clottey's drama performance though. that was terrible...he didnt hurt his knee (well not as bad as he played it out at least)...he acted as if he wasnt going to be able to continue because it was broken, fractured, or dislocated. all he did was fall down (and that even looked like an act....)

When i seen it happen live it appeared as if cotto pushed clottey to the ground but thats not what happened when i took a look at the replay...cotto pushed clottey around when he was displeased with clottey's tactics and clottey just dropped effortlessly like a sack of potatoes.

Same thing about the punch behind the head. clottey grabbed cottos hand and turned around with it so when cotto went to punch clottey turned his head...cotto tried to let up off the shot because once it connected you can see it was just about the same force as a poking jab...maybe harder but once again clottey pretended he got hit with a haymaker...wincing in pain...and once again...looking at the replay you can tell it was just a ploy to get the ref to take a point from cotto...the reaction to the punch was very delayed (its apparent on replay).

Overall though it was a good close but sloppy fight.

Cotto's defense was subpar...he really needs to improve his defense. he cant rely on his legs and movement only for defense. he needs to use his gloves and elbows a lot more to conserve his stamina.

Clottey's defense on the other hand was excellent...better than expected. very tight defense...blocked MANY of cotto's shots...good counter punching as well.

cotto seemed to lack on the counterpunching. when he would go to counter he'd each one or two in return...especially towards the end of the fight.

cotto looked best early on...after about the 8th round it started to show clottey was gaining momentum.

thoughts and scores on the fight?
Working...
X