• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
    I think he did win a World Series in 95 with the braves
    No, he was not on that Braves team.

Comment

Mundines place in history? Soon forgotten.

Comment

Mundine who? Wasn't he a footballer who claimed racism because he wasn't selected to play origin?wouldnt have been because someone was better? Bit like boxing really.....like I said mundine WHO!!!!!!

Comment

Just another titlist.

Comment

I agree with the consensus that while Mundine is a very talented athlete who made a successful transition between two demanding yet different sports, he did not live up to his potential as a fighter, largely by fighting an array of fringe contenders and journeymen in the 2nd half of his career. I just made this thread for a bit of a laugh and to see what ppl overseas think of him.

It's worth noting that money wise, Mundine is a very successful fighter. His pay days aren't anything like Floyds or whatever, but he still makes serious cash, definitely the kind most everyday fighters are only dreaming of. Disregarding his lack of quality opposition, his career has actually been a pretty massive success.- Kind of shows the unfair nature of boxing, a pretender like Mundine out-earns the vast majority of talented hard working guys out there trying to make it.

Comment

Originally posted by One more round View Post
              I agree with the consensus that while Mundine is a very talented athlete who made a successful transition between two demanding yet different sports, he did not live up to his potential as a fighter, largely by fighting an array of fringe contenders and journeymen in the 2nd half of his career. I just made this thread for a bit of a laugh and to see what ppl overseas think of him.

It's worth noting that money wise, Mundine is a very successful fighter. His pay days aren't anything like Floyds or whatever, but he still makes serious cash, definitely the kind most everyday fighters are only dreaming of. Disregarding his lack of quality opposition, his career has actually been a pretty massive success.- Kind of shows the unfair nature of boxing, a pretender like Mundine out-earns the vast majority of talented hard working guys out there trying to make it.
              I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that he's among the top earners, just below the very highest, in the entire sport over the last decade or so. As a fighter, he's not been too successful in any big terms, but as a prizefighter, he's been a big success.

Comment

Unfortunately Mundine got lazy in the middle and didn't chase the big fights. And then when he realised he had to (recently) father time had caught up with him and he couldn't match it.
                That being said, unbelievable hand speed. Top five Australian maybe.

Comment

hes a joke, he fought bums and lost to some of them and his big mouth wrote cheques his talent couldn't cash

Comment

Mundine had the potential to become one of the greatest Rugby League players in the history of the sport.

He gave it up to become a third rate fighter-cum-circus-freak, all memory of whom - mercifully - will soon evaporate like breath on a window pane.

I'm sorry but ... who are we talking about again??

Comment

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
                      Prime 4 prime, was knocked cold by Sven Ottke..
                      That just can't be ignored (or justified)
                      Not that I feel comfortable defending Mundine, and not that it can be ignored as such, but it can be justified, particularly as it certainly wasn't 'prime for prime' or even close to it.

Ottke, whatever is said about him, was a champion in his prime, at his peak when he fought Mundine. He'd been a pro many years already and was already a champ for quite a few years with 25 fights. Well over double the amount Mundine had, with about 14 title defenses under his belt, numerous champions fought, and would go on to unify the division shortly after.

That is a massive gulf in time fought, fights fought, amateur experience, pro experience, the level of fighters fought, champions fought, titles won and just about anything else you can think of.

Mundine had had ten fights as a pro, and had literally just come in from a career as a top rugby player with only a year of experience when he fought Ottke. He left a full time career as a top rugby player half way through 2000 and fought Ottke just one year later with only ten journeymen fights. Mundines entire boxing background consisted of 4 amateur bouts when he was a young teenager and nothing else as he quickly became full time in rugby and had nothing to do with boxing until suddenly quitting rugby because of alleged racism, then being inspired by an Ali movie to suddenly take up boxing and follow his dad.

One year of experience as a pro, no proper amateur background to speak of, was actually a full time rugby player and only had ten fights against a prime champion at his peak with a decorated amateur background, a long time, undefeated champion with 14 title defenses, well over double the fights and about five times the amount of time as a pro.

That's pretty good justification to be honest, and I don't think that can be ignored.

Either way, he was a much better rugby player than boxer.

Comment

Working...
                      X