Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which of these top fighters have had the toughest resume in their last 5 fights?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ummmm Maragrito also turned down a Winky fight.

Comment

• Originally posted by No Ceilings View Post
      Ummm yeah on that note fighters werent lining up to fight Winky. Mosley gave him his shot and he took advantage of it. Always gave major props to Shane for that.

Winky however had bad management.
      dan is trippin...seriously.....NO ONE was calling winky out and winky was in oscar's shi t until oscar lowballed him.....and i don't remember oscar coming to try to get his 154lb championship back after winky won it.

I don't need to go back and pore over google searches to know that winky was trying desparately to get fights with the big names from 147-154 until Shane fought him. He was a top 3 ww from 2000-04 before he got a fight with a big name AND he was a top 10 ww since the mid 90s. I lived in st pete/tampa, maybe dan didn't get the word

winky had to go to everyone else's hometown, everywhere. now you're going to tell me that no one avoided him bet he was top 3 so he was avoiding? lol, c'mon.

I ALREADY SAID NAMES.

Winky began getting his swole head and his horrible business sense took over after he unified.

the thinking that winky was content with his "paper title" and didn't want to fight the big names and wasn't avoided is laughable...

Comment

Sturm ducked Winky for one.
        Sturm ducked everyone, and our conversation specifically was about pre-SHane......

Comment

• Nobody ever ducked or dodged Winky Wright. He was never lowballed either.

When he was at 160, and Floyd was at 140, the plan was that Floyd was gonna move up to 154 and Winky was gonna come down to 154. Winky priced himself out by asking for 50-50, although he already had the weight advantage and Floyd was the bigger PPV seller at the time. Bob Arum never "changed" anything last minute. Winky plainly priced himself out.

Like it was already mentioned, who turns down a DLH fight? guaranteed $6mill + PPV upside.

Priced himself out of the Taylor rematch.

I won't repeat things that were already mentioned. But I will admit, back in the day, when I wasn't too well informed about Winky Wright, I was going along with the "Nobody wanted Winky Wright" parade that a lot of posters believed as well. But in fact, he turned down a lot of fights ALL ON HIS OWN. It wasn't his promoter, his manager, nobody, it was him all on his own turning down fights.

Comment

• Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
            Oh, most definitely.

Winky was a good fighter no doubt. But I have no idea why he rejected those fights, especially with Oscar and Mayweather which were career paydays for him. I can't understand why you would do that.

It didn't stop there either. There was other big fights he turned down also for some reason.

I just don't know why he did that.
            Can't see how you would not fight such a small version of Mayweather. Mayweather was gonna go up 14lbs, Winky was gonna down 6lbs. Clearly Winky had the size advantage, and was gonna get millions. What more do you want

And give me a percentage of a DLH PPV alone, and i'll be good. But a guaranteed $6Mill to go with that? Come on.

Winky to Mayweather: "50-50 purse split or no fight!"

http://www.boxnews.com.ua/en/news/17...t-or-no-fight-

"I didn't go looking for him, he's come looking for me and if he wants to fight me on PPV November 12, it's got to be 50-50."

Winky Wright was so avoided, that 140 pounders were willing to go up in weight to fight him.

Comment

• Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
              Nobody ever ducked or dodged Winky Wright. He was never lowballed either.

When he was at 160, and Floyd was at 140, the plan was that Floyd was gonna move up to 154 and Winky was gonna come down to 154. Winky priced himself out by asking for 50-50, although he already had the weight advantage and Floyd was the bigger PPV seller at the time. Bob Arum never "changed" anything last minute. Winky plainly priced himself out.

Like it was already mentioned, who turns down a DLH fight? guaranteed $6mill + PPV upside.

Priced himself out of the Taylor rematch.

I won't repeat things that were already mentioned. But I will admit, back in the day, when I wasn't too well informed about Winky Wright, I was going along with the "Nobody wanted Winky Wright" parade that a lot of posters believed as well. But in fact, he turned down a lot of fights ALL ON HIS OWN. It wasn't his promoter, his manager, nobody, it was him all on his own turning down fights.
              Arum would have NEVER put him in there with Winky. The fight was not a reality. It was quite frankly a joke. Him and Floyd are good friends. It wasnt serious.

And fighters did turn down Winky. Sturm, Margarito turned him down. Oscar ducked for him YEARS until he offered.

He only turned down 4 fights. Thats it. And only 2 were legit fights and thats the Taylor and Oscar fight.

Taylor rematch :Ego
              AA in Germany: Too Big
              Kessler: Too Big
              Oscar :Ego

Comment

• Regarding the $6M that was already refused to fight Oscar De La Hoya. "Look it's negotiation and when we were ready to keep talking to make it happen, Oscar said he wasn't fighting for the rest of the year, but if he's fighting on May 6 and he wants to make a fight, here I am."

Comment

• Taylor rematch:

Wright tells USA Today that while both fighters want a rematch of their June bout that ended in a draw, money is the issue from making the rematch a reality. Wright feels that he clearly won the bout, but was robbed of a decision. He let Taylor get more money the first time around, but is not willing to do so again.

Comment

Arum would have NEVER put him in there with Winky. The fight was not a reality. It was quite frankly a joke. Him and Floyd are good friends. It wasnt serious.

And fighters did turn down Winky. Sturm, Margarito turned him down. Oscar ducked for him YEARS until he offered.

He only turned down 4 fights. Thats it. And only 2 were legit fights and thats the Taylor and Oscar fight.

Taylor rematch :Ego
                    AA in Germany: Too Big
                    Kessler: Too Big
                    Oscar :Ego
                    http://www.boxnews.com.ua/en/news/17...t-or-no-fight-

It was definitely a joke, everything was set up, the date, the numbers, the weight. But yeah, I guess it was all just a big joke. It's such a big joke, that Winky couldn't just go along with the joke and fight Mayweather jokingly.

Lol at the time, Mayweather was hungry, he was calling out Mosley, Tszyu, DLH, he wanted the big fights and wanted to go up to 147 real bad, but all of them turned him down, Tszyu retired after getting beat by Hatton. Mosley wanted $10mill, DLH didn't want to do business with Bob Arum, Winky wanted 50-50 plus the weight advantage.

But this is about Winky though, Winky has priced himself out of a lot of fights.

Comment

• Froch, and he's ripe for a fall.

Comment

Working...
                      X