Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What will happen with Guillermo 'El Chacal' Rigondeaux?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
    He's got that Mike Lee guy, haha.
    For Christ Sakes! NOOOoooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!! Now I'll have to argue with dumb@ss white people that aren't from Europe! The Hatton brigade was annoying, the P@ctards give me migraines they're that simple, I can only imagine some of the dumbass white people! It'll be a bunch of rednecks getting on here saying "Whitey" will kill that negro Floyd Mayweather! Followed by some Klan chants...

Comment

Originally posted by THE REED™ View Post
      Im a big Rigo fan.... But realistically.... Based on WHAT exactly?

Counterpunching? Who has he proved that against?

Speed? Who has he proved that against?

Power? Who has he proved that against?

I love Rigo, Talented as hell... But you gotta prove it Gainst the top before you can really be taken as a threat.
      This is all true, and essentially why I'm really itching to see this guy fight Donaire. I think given the opportunity Rigondeaux will prove he's P4P material - I just can't help but see it in him whenever I see him fight. But of course, it's a bit early to say he's more skilled than Floyd because Floyd just fought Cotto, and Guillermo fought Teon Kennedy.

Comment

Originally posted by SkillspayBills View Post
        He's "I'd bet on him in any fight he takes" talented. Hope he gets some bigger fights before the tail end of his prime.
        I agree with this. I don't see anyone at those weight's I'd pick over him. In his last 2 fights against Teon & Rico (though they're not that great) make me wonder if others could even touch him. He seems omnipotent.

The only person I see having a chance (if they were in the same division) is Gamboa. Doubt Mares would beat him.

I love Nonito as a fighter but he is being a little b1tch. Then again, so is everyone else.

As for the original question... I really don't know, is Bob even trying to get him fights? I think Guillermo will lose his rag with TopRank soon. They're not doing a great job of 'promoting' him. Seems like they're trying to hide him.

As for that cretin dibzvincent143 dissing Rigo at the beginning of this thread: There is nothing wrong with being new to a sport... But if you are, don't march into a conversation you clearly know NOTHING about talking ****! Way to make yourself sound a total ****! I bet you're the world's biggest Pacfart. Red K sent.
        Last edited by Mr E Mann; 06-21-2012, 01:32 PM.

Comment

He may be 31, but I'd say he's got at a minimum 5-7 really good years left. He's taken almost no punishment, already has a belt, and while we all know how great he is he's only fought 10 fights. He needs to just stay active, fight every couple of months, abuse people, and by the time he reaches fight 15 or 20 people won't be able to keep avoiding him.

Comment

Originally posted by b0ndsj0ns20 View Post
            He may be 31, but I'd say he's got at a minimum 5-7 really good years left. He's taken almost no punishment, already has a belt, and while we all know how great he is he's only fought 10 fights. He needs to just stay active, fight every couple of months, abuse people, and by the time he reaches fight 15 or 20 people won't be able to keep avoiding him.
            Agreed. Because he fought so regularly in the amateurs, it's not like he always cut alot of weight for his fights. I bet he keeps himself in great shape. Hopefully he can keep his speed into his late 30s.

Comment

Originally posted by SkillspayBills View Post
              He's "I'd bet on him in any fight he takes" talented.
              Rigo has out of this world skill, but Floyd isn't bad himself. Never seen anyone out box Floyd, it's just hard to imagine.
              Originally posted by THE REED™ View Post
              I love Rigo, Talented as hell... But you gotta prove it Gainst the top before you can really be taken as a threat.
              Originally posted by streetwaves View Post
              I think given the opportunity Rigondeaux will prove he's P4P material - I just can't help but see it in him whenever I see him fight. But of course, it's a bit early to say he's more skilled than Floyd because Floyd just fought Cotto, and Guillermo fought Teon Kennedy.
              I've always thought Rigo is the most talented of the Cubans currently fighting. Someone once laughed at that comment, because they considered Gamboa more impressive. I like watching Yuri more, but I consider Guille almost preternaturally gifted. Is Rigo more gifted than Floyd? I would say that their natural ability is comparable. However, God-given ability is one thing; what you do with it is another.

There are still a lot of questions regarding "El Chacal's" future and professional potential. Rigo has spent many years as an amateur, perhaps too many. He's relatively old and he's still shaking off old habits. Guillermo didn't look so impressive versus Cordoba. Then again, it was just his seventh professional outing. Rigo looked like an absolute monster versus Casey, Ramos and Kennedy. Then again, they're not exactly household names.

As with most Cuban defectors, whatever Guillermo does from here on out, I believe it would've been more had he started his pro career earlier. I think he still has just enough time to make a good pro career. It's just too bad that we'll probably never see exactly what this amazing boxer could've ultimately been.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
                I've always thought Rigo is the most talented of the Cubans currently fighting. Someone once laughed at that comment, because they considered Gamboa more impressive. I like watching Yuri more, but I consider Guille almost preternaturally gifted.
                Spot on. I think Gamboa & Rigo are just two completely different packages.

Gamboa is talented in the way that Roy Jones Jr. was talented. That's what makes him special, because what guys like them have, you can't "teach", u just develop. One of those fighters that just comes along every decade or so that dominates world class competition off of natural speed, power, reflex and ability. A "natural born" fighter. And thats what makes them exciting

Guillermo isn't as talented as he is skilled. When i think of world class, he's the type of fighter i think of. He's not just the most skilled among the Cubans, he's up there p4p as one of the most skilled in Boxing, period. Extensive experience fighting against world class competition on an international level. His expertise comes from being exposed to a variety of styles, skill-sets, etc.

The difference is...guys like Guillermo will be dominating well into their 30s because they have the tools to. Guys like Gamboa won't. By the time Gamboa's speed, power and reflex begin to decline, his technical deficiencies will become more & more evident.

edit: p.s. Guillermo beat Gamboa in the amateurs
                Last edited by MalikKnucklez; 06-21-2012, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MalikKnucklez View Post
                  Spot on. I think Gamboa & Rigo are just two completely different packages.

Gamboa is talented in the way that Roy Jones Jr. was talented. That's what makes him special, because what guys like them have, you can't "teach", u just develop. One of those fighters that just comes along every decade or so that dominates world class competition off of natural speed, power, reflex and ability. A "natural born" fighter. And thats what makes them exciting

Guillermo isn't as talented as he is skilled. When i think of world class, he's the type of fighter i think of. He's not just the most skilled among the Cubans, he's up there p4p as one of the most skilled in Boxing, period. Extensive experience fighting against world class competition on an international level. His expertise comes from being exposed to a variety of styles, skill-sets, etc.

The difference is...guys like Guillermo will be dominating well into their 30s because they have the tools to. Guys like Gamboa won't. By the time Gamboa's speed, power and reflex begin to decline, his technical deficiencies will become more & more evident.

edit: p.s. Guillermo beat Gamboa in the amateurs
                  Gamboa's so much fun to watch; he's just a force of nature. The speed, power, reflexes and athleticism are on an elite to nearly unique level. Only the most successful, most exciting fighters look like that, guys like Tyson and RJJ. As you said, what he has can't be taught.

Guillermo's speed and power are underrated, in my opinion. He just doesn't rely on them as much as Yuri does. What impresses me the most about Rigo, however, is his understanding of the game. His natural aptitude for the sport is on the highest order. I used to wonder why he carries the moniker "El Chacal" ("The Jackal"). I see now that the nickname fits. Rigondeaux is an assassin in the ring; cunning, thoughtful, precise. I believe that Gullie's superior talent is exactly what has allowed him to acquire the skill he possesses.

I’ve heard it said many times that Rigo has a winning record versus Gamboa. Sadly, I have to agree: once Yuri's natural gifts start to erode, he'll be done.
                  Last edited by CubanGuyNYC; 06-21-2012, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Hopefully he'll follow in Gamboa's foot steps and get out of his deal with Top Rank when he comes to terms with the fact that he's never going to land the Donaire fight.

I'd love to see Rigondeaux switch to Golden Boy or even Mayweather Promotions.

Comment

Hopefully he'll follow in Gamboa's foot steps and get out of his deal with Top Rank when he comes to terms with the fact that he's never going to land the Donaire fight.

I'd love to see Rigondeaux switch to Golden Boy or even Mayweather Promotions.
                      I tend to like the idea of these fighters working with GBP, or even MP, better; but, honestly, despite all the bad things you hear about Arum, I'm not sure what's best for these guys.

I can wait on a Donaire fight a little longer. I think Rigo needs to take a couple of more steps forward before taking on Nonito. As good as he is, Guillermo can use more pro experience against better opposition than he's faced.
                      Last edited by CubanGuyNYC; 06-21-2012, 09:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X