Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Out of Roy Jones, James Toney, Bernard Hopkins: Who beats prime Gerald Mcclellan?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Out of Roy Jones, James Toney, Bernard Hopkins: Who beats prime Gerald Mcclellan?

These would have been some fantastic matchups and I think Hopkins would probably have the hardest time with Hopkins. I think Roy Jones would do well but would be interested to see what happens the 2nd half of the fight when Gerald keeps coming. As for Toney I think he would have used McClellan's aggression against him and counter him. I'm leaning towards Roy Jones and James Toney.

Thoughts?

Bernard Hopkins
    29.79%
    James Toney
    36.17%
    Roy Jones Jr.
    34.04%

James Toney would maybe outbox him but lose a decision as he did so often. When Toney leans on the ropes outboxing his opponent, the judges only see the aggression of the other guy as could be seen in the Montell Griffin fights.
    As for McClellan and Roy: if I am not mistaken, McClellan did beat Roy in the amateurs.

Comment

prime roy hardly got hit. i'm really not sure about his chin. you've got to figure he'd get hit by the G man, who had speed, variation, length, and a great jab. g man also had a chin.

i have a ton of confidence in hopkins' and toney's chin, and they're two of the greatest of all time at taking away power punches, especially right hands.

G man is a classic case of a fighter who accomplished less than the sum of his parts.

i think all three could take him. they're great fighters, and g man was very good. g man is an odd case. he lost to lesser fighters, and never beat anybody on that tier, but he had freakish talent. speed, size and power. the guy had a HW reach...

Comment

Originally posted by BlueBaureit99 View Post
        James Toney would maybe outbox him but lose a decision as he did so often. When Toney leans on the ropes outboxing his opponent, the judges only see the aggression of the other guy as could be seen in the Montell Griffin fights.
        As for McClellan and Roy: if I am not mistaken, McClellan did beat Roy in the amateurs.

he did. i have never seen the fight, to be fair.

Comment

All three......

Comment

i think b-hop, toney definitely beat him....

roy??? i guess roy would...... even though he struggled against b-hop at 160.....

a less polished bernard....

but roy didn't reach prominence until 175lbs... IMO....

toney and hopkins fight in the pocket, mid range.... and don't use their feet like roy....

so different fights....

woulda like to have seen roy vs. toney at 160....

Comment

Originally posted by EzzardCharles View Post
              i think b-hop, toney definitely beat him....

roy??? i guess roy would...... even though he struggled against b-hop at 160.....

a less polished bernard....

but roy didn't reach prominence until 175lbs... IMO....

toney and hopkins fight in the pocket, mid range.... and don't use their feet like roy....

so different fights....

woulda like to have seen roy vs. toney at 160....
              I'm a Toney fan but I think he loses every time

Comment

I think Toney would have been the best fight.

Prime Roy was just too fast.

B-Hop would have interesting at 157 years old, back in the early 90's.

I could see all three beating G.

Comment

All 3 would beat him...

All 3 would be good fights,,, but we are talking about a really good fighter, vs 3 bonafide hall of famers..
                  Would have liked to see all these fights....

Comment

All 3 would beat him...

All 3 would be good fights,,, but we are talking about a really good fighter, vs 3 bonafide hall of famers..
                    Would have liked to see all these fights....

Comment

Working...
                    X