Pinklon Thomas

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pinklon Thomas

How do you rate him?

I rate him highly. He had a terrific jab, he had the skill and he had the power. Even his chin was quite good. His only problem was motivation. After he won the title he seemed to lose the motivation. He was in trouble against Weaver before he ended it rather suddenly, he had that ability and power. Against Tyson he fought a very brave and disciplined fight, outjabbed him for the better part of the fight before he succumbed to Mike's rage. He outpointed WITHERSPOON, I mean Witherspoon! But after becoming a champ he had so many other things on his mind besides boxing and training, like trying to become a professional singer and managing some other fighters. It spelled his downfall.

Comment

B-minus grade fighter.

Comment

i give him an A for the Moustache and Jab

everything else was ok to pretty good, nothing special
        Last edited by The Surgeon; 10-01-2011, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pastrano View Post
          I rate him highly. He had a terrific jab, he had the skill and he had the power. Even his chin was quite good. His only problem was motivation. After he won the title he seemed to lose the motivation. He was in trouble against Weaver before he ended it rather suddenly, he had that ability and power. Against Tyson he fought a very brave and disciplined fight, outjabbed him for the better part of the fight before he succumbed to Mike's rage. He outpointed WITHERSPOON, I mean Witherspoon! But after becoming a champ he had so many other things on his mind besides boxing and training, like trying to become a professional singer and managing some other fighters. It spelled his downfall.
          He's a truck driver now.

Its hard to think of Pinklon without envisioning Tyson rattling him silly with about 214 unanswered head shots tho

Comment

A pretty good fighter with a fine jab and a very solid chin although like a lot of the heavies of that era he was a bit up and down. It looked like he'd be the one who finally knocked off an aging Holmes. He had excellent wins against Spoon and Weaver when both were highly regarded but followed up by getting outmuscled by Berbick in an upset and never really regained his mojo. Not one of the all time greats but tough to beat on his day and from about 85-86 he was probably the best heavyweight in the world.

Comment

A paper champion, he would give Holmes a tough, close fight, like Witherspoon and Carl Williams but Thomas would never beat the great Larry Holmes.

Comment

C+ level guy

Comment

Originally posted by Kid McCoy View Post
                  A pretty good fighter with a fine jab and a very solid chin although like a lot of the heavies of that era he was a bit up and down. It looked like he'd be the one who finally knocked off an aging Holmes. He had excellent wins against Spoon and Weaver when both were highly regarded but followed up by getting outmuscled by Berbick in an upset and never really regained his mojo. Not one of the all time greats but tough to beat on his day and from about 85-86 he was probably the best heavyweight in the world.
                  Another spot-on post Kid.

I remember when he was training for Berbick, he was also concentrating on what he thought would be a budding singing career. He was also distracted at times with his heroin addiction. If he could have stayed focused on training & fighting, he may have been remembered more highly.

Another case of a guy having lots of natural talent but his head not always being in the right place.

When I think of him, I remember that great jab of his. And really, that's about it. Lost potential.

Comment

He was brought inas a sub to face James "Quick" Tillis, and he really battered him, especially with that jab. That was the fight that made a lot of people start paying attention.

Comment

Working...
                    X